Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Blue Screen grades in Resolve?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
andrew smithBlue Screen grades in Resolve?
by on Sep 14, 2012 at 3:32:11 am

I posted this question last week but was not really clear on how best to go about doing this in Resolve. I looked at the V9 manual and still am hoping for some basic explanation on procedure and best practices for this type of grading in Resolve.

I do not actually have to remove the blue screen background - the AE artist will do that and worry about the compositing etc and animation (although I am curious about how to do this regardless), what I need to do is balance out shots and different angles and get some consistency across the board on all of this blue screen footage of actors dancing.

If some people could chime in a point me in the right direction I would really appreciate the help. If there are any tutorials as well or specific pages in the manual about how best to do this type of grade please let me know.

Thank you
Andrew

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dmitry KitsovRe: Blue Screen grades in Resolve?
by on Sep 14, 2012 at 5:53:44 am

This is a catch 22. You really should not grade the footage but if you do the grade should be purely primary grade, in that you must not affect the relationship between the blue screen and the foreground, as that would drastically reduce the effectiveness of the key. Anyway I am not sure who is running your show but the usual practice is to do the visual effects VFX artists so you may grade the foreground and the background plate separately. Those mattes are generated as the part of the keying process.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sascha HaberRe: Blue Screen grades in Resolve?
by on Sep 14, 2012 at 6:27:12 am

That is 100% correct...

A slice of color...

DaVinci 9b3 OSX 10.8
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Extreme 3D+

Colorist / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

andrew smithRe: Blue Screen grades in Resolve?
by on Sep 14, 2012 at 11:39:56 am

Hey guys thank you for the responses.

SO are you saying i should be getting the actors keyed out with no blue screen background? I have seen fxphd tutorials and have read about people doing temporary keys in resolve and then grading the footage for then an AE or flame etc artists to key out the green or blue background.

Can anyone tell me how best to do this and also if I am to advise them to do it differently how exactly to ask for stuff? It seems they want me to do the grade first because they wont be able to do the keying first for whatever reason.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

sean rossRe: Blue Screen grades in Resolve?
by on Sep 14, 2012 at 5:40:52 pm

What I did in a similar situation is to:
1. My AfterEffects artist made the keys using the source material.
2. Perform a color grade on the material in Davinci. I did some spill correction and neutralizing of the blue cast overall in here (which helped me to also see how the color was going to look in the end)
3. Had my artist repoint to the new clips in Aftereffects, but he burned in the original keys that I made with the source materials to create the composites.

Worked like a charm.

Sean

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Nook KimRe: Blue Screen grades in Resolve?
by on Sep 15, 2012 at 1:25:57 pm

Andrew,

I think you're trying to grade without help from vfx guys. If you look at the page 501 in the Resolve manual, there's a way you can separate the green and replace the BG with what you want.

I know sometimes the whole workflow is not really thought out, and all you are given is your imagination. If you're lucky, you will be given with some description of what it might be at the BG (even with bigger productions).

For those times, I usually qualify the green (or blue) and put 50 percent gray-ish or black solid so that I'm not influenced by any color. Then, I grade the subject to fit the final look of the project. When rendering, I render out "2 passes". One the source as is and the graded shots for the vfx people to use.

You could even do this without any solid BG to replace if you're not bothered by having to switch on and off of the qualified green with just a secondary qualification of the green.

Hope this all makes sense to you.

Nook Kim
http://www.nookkim.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 16, 2012 at 9:05:27 pm

Thank you for the responses.

Sean:
So from the AE artist you got footage without the background and with what in its place - like what did it look like. Also, not sure i understand what you gave him if you didn't have to key anything?

Nook:
I will read that part of the manual now, thank you. Just curious, how do you make a black background - can i just do it in fcp with a solid and make it like 2mins long or whatever i need? How best to apply it in Resolve 9 - in the time line or specialty node type operation? Also, when you said "the graded shots for the vfx people to use", exactly what format/way do you render that out?

Thank you for the advise.
Andrew

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 16, 2012 at 9:24:02 pm

I for got to also ask about grading with just flat whatever colors where its not actual green screen or blue screen meant for keying and compisiting.

For example just interview footage medium shot and close-ups in room with all matching colored walls (i.e. orange, or blue, etc? Would i also want to key that out to making grading easier?

thank you

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Nook KimRe: Blue Screen grades in Resolve?
by on Sep 17, 2012 at 2:37:30 am

"how do you make a black background - can i just do it in fcp with a solid and make it like 2mins long or whatever i need? How best to apply it in Resolve 9 - in the time line or specialty node type operation?"

If you have read the said manual already, you would know how to apply that in Resolve. As I mentioned before, however, there's a quick and dirty method where you would just qualify the BG, and HILITE on to see your BG in black. You just need to change the setting in the CONFIG window so that Resolve shows the key as black instead of gray.

If you'd like to follow what Resolve manual says, then yes, you could make the solid black clip to whatever length you want to composite in Resolve. Better make it longer than you need since you can trim it in Resolve.

"Also, when you said "the graded shots for the vfx people to use", exactly what format/way do you render that out?"

That depends on what your vfx guys want per project. Ask them what they want..

Nook Kim
http://www.nookkim.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]