Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Blackmagic Design Buys DaVinci: Part 1

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Creative COWBlackmagic Design Buys DaVinci: Part 1
by on Sep 8, 2009 at 8:23:31 pm

DaVinci - NEW !
Blackmagic Design Buys DaVinci: Part 1Blackmagic Design Buys DaVinci: Part 1

The fastest breaking news that is sure to rifle through IBC the quickest? Well, for starters, try this announcement from Blackmagic Design, who have acquired DaVinci Systems, the pioneering color system that for many years has been one of the dream systems in the marketplace. In the letter to employees below, Grant Petty discusses the acquisition with his team members.

Editorial, Feature, People / Interview   09/08/2009
Author: Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David Roth WeissRe: Blackmagic Design Buys DaVinci: Part 1
by on Sep 8, 2009 at 8:44:44 pm

It sure would be nice if there was a chip on every Blackmagic card with the complete DaVinci instruction set built in.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob ZelinRe: Blackmagic Design Buys DaVinci: Part 1
by on Sep 8, 2009 at 11:24:12 pm

what amazes me is the reaction on AVID-L, FCP-L, and other user forums. The buzz about this is incredible.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

grinner hesterRe: Blackmagic Design Buys DaVinci: Part 1
by on Sep 8, 2009 at 11:26:29 pm

this is biiig news. Awesome potential.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

Arnie SchlisselRe: Blackmagic Design Buys DaVinci: Part 1
by on Sep 9, 2009 at 2:51:52 am

So, does this mean that we'll soon be seeing a $1k da Vinci bundle with a BMD card?

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 9, 2009 at 3:13:18 am

[Arnie Schlissel] "So, does this mean that we'll soon be seeing a $1k da Vinci bundle with a BMD card? "

Jeeze, Apple included Color for free. They set the bar pretty high (or low depending on your point of view). It'll be interesting to see how BM can compete against that cost/benefit standard. On the other hand, it seems Color 1.5 still hasn't really fixed things, so I guess the reality is, you get what ya pay for.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Arnie SchlisselRe: Blackmagic Design Buys DaVinci: Part 1
by on Sep 9, 2009 at 3:20:02 am

[David Roth Weiss] "Jeeze, Apple included Color for free. They set the bar pretty high (or low depending on your point of view)."

Yup, that was kind of my point.

BMD recently gave us the sub $1k HD capture card, and has now pushed HD scopes down to around $1500-$2k (including the computer to run it!), so why not take a $100k+ color corrector and drop the price to, say $5k? or would that be to high?

Perhaps they'll buy Quantel or Avid next?

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 9, 2009 at 3:27:30 am

Well, before anyone jumps on my message above as some sort of serious comparison between DaVinci and Apple Color, don't bother please, I was joking. I know DaVinci well and I know some of wonderful DaVinci colorists here in L.A. as well.

I congratulate both BM and DaVinci.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

grinner hesterRe: Blackmagic Design Buys DaVinci: Part 1
by on Sep 8, 2009 at 11:28:44 pm

Maaana, I didn't see that comin'! Freakin awesome! Massive congrats, blackmagic. Lookin' forward to seeing what comes our way from this combo.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rafael AmadorRe: Blackmagic Design Buys DaVinci: Part 1
by on Sep 9, 2009 at 4:53:39 am

IMHO there are three elements that made possible the "digital video revolution":
- MiniDV format.
- Affordable NLE systems.
- BlackMagic cards.
Today I have an AJA IOHD but I trust very much those guys of BM.
I don't think we will be working with a DaVinci for a few bucks, but sure this people will make these system much more affordable.
I deeply wish that BM gives another lesson to the "elite orientated" companies.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Margus VollRe: Blackmagic Design Buys DaVinci: Part 1
by on Sep 9, 2009 at 6:02:37 am

It really seems that Avid etc big ones will just die or get sold soon.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

kim krauseRe: Blackmagic Design Buys DaVinci: Part 1
by on Sep 9, 2009 at 10:35:05 am

why is this a good thing?....davinci has been in trouble for years and probably couldn't wait to find a buyer. they have stagnated while others have moved in. and don't think the BMD aquisition will mean a cheaper davinci. there are alot of really good color correction systems out there, each with it's own strength. my big criticism of davinci of late has been its horrible user interface. what they really needed was a complete overhaul of their panels and usablility. just look at pogle. they realized early on that a graphics tablet should be part of a grading suite. the reason other systems have become so popular is they listen to what clients want from a color correction system. davinci were always so smug. i'll stick to nucoda, pogle and even color over a davinci anyday...good luck black magic, i hope you know what you're doing buying that old dinosaur.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tim WilsonRe: Blackmagic Design Buys DaVinci: Part 1
by on Sep 9, 2009 at 4:10:03 pm

Consider this the outline of an article. :-) But it's a start.

[kim krause] "davinci has been in trouble for years and probably couldn't wait to find a buyer"

The problem with da Vinci has largely not been da Vinci. It has been parent companies who bought it largely for the cash flow, hoping to help their own bottom lines. That's why parent companies are the ones who've come and gone, and gone bankrupt, and da Vinci remains.

[kim krause] "my big criticism of davinci of late has been its horrible user interface"

Grant specifically mentioned that in his email to Blackmagic employees, which we reprinted here after they sent it to us. Specifically: [Resolve] needs a new user interface and extra features.

I find it hard to follow threads when they wind too far off the post subject lines, so I've provided a long answer to kim's very good question of why I think this is such a good idea in a thread here.

See you there. :-)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Stuart FerreyraRe: Blackmagic Design Buys DaVinci: Part 1
by on Sep 20, 2009 at 5:49:55 pm

I'd be willing to spend $10K to $15K on a DaVinci desktop version running on a Mac Pro.

Stuart Ferreyra
Timecode Multimedia
Colorist / Post Supervisor

- Visit our studio's website.
- RED Rocket Conversions.
- Follow us on Facebook. Become a fan!
- Duplication, Mastering and Teranex Conversions.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]