Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Resolve 9 Windows: "QTDecoder.exe has stopped working"

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
John MichaelsResolve 9 Windows: "QTDecoder.exe has stopped working"
by on Aug 2, 2012 at 2:11:19 am

I'm trying to use Resolve 9 to make dailies from DSLR footage (7D, 5DMkIII) shot with Cinestyle. The problem is that 75% of the time I start to bring in the footage (H264 MOV), QTDecoder.exe stops responding. The result is just black clips both in thumbnails and in the viewers for any Quicktime-based media until I restart the program and probably encounter the same problem again.

QTDecoder is located in this directory:
C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\QtDecoder

So I think it's more of a Resolve issue than a Quicktime issue?

Any input on this?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Anish PrithvirajRe: Resolve 9 Windows: "QTDecoder.exe has stopped working"
by on Aug 2, 2012 at 5:18:20 am

Hi John,

When you say that QTDecoder stops responding, is this happening as soon as you add a 5D or 7D H264 file to the media pool? We tried that on our setup here but did not run into a crash/give the error.

Could you share your machine specs? Also could you send us Resolve logs as soon as you get the QTDecoder error? You can capture logs by going to C:Program FilesBlackmagic DesignDaVinci Resolve and run CaptureLogs.bat. This will save a zip file on your desktop.

Please send us this zipped file at davincihelp (at) blackmagicdesign (dot) com.

Thanks,
Anish

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John MichaelsRe: Resolve 9 Windows: "QTDecoder.exe has stopped working"
by on Aug 3, 2012 at 7:52:45 am

[Anish Prithviraj] "When you say that QTDecoder stops responding, is this happening as soon as you add a 5D or 7D H264 file to the media pool? We tried that on our setup here but did not run into a crash/give the error."

In my situation, I have already added H264 clips to the media pool and into timelines. The error seems to occur when it is building the thumbnails, because it only occurs when I am on a Page that is displaying thumbnails. For example:

- In the Media page, if the Media Pool is set to Thumbnail view, QTDecoder stops responding after it has loaded a few thumbnails in the Media Pool(such as when I first open my project since it starts on that page).

- In the Media page, if the Media Pool is set to List view, everything is fine until I switch over to the Color page which displays Thumbnails in the timeline. QTDecoder will stop responding at that time.

Attached is a screenshot so you can see it has loaded most of the thumbnails in the timeline, except for the last three or so on the right, at which time I got the error.

I will email Blackmagic Support about this. Thank you.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Eugene SeahRe: Resolve 9 Windows: "QTDecoder.exe has stopped working"
by on Aug 12, 2012 at 3:14:38 pm

Hi,

I'm having the exact same problem as John.

My clips are a mixture of 720p50 and 1080p25 All-i H264 MOVs from a Canon 1DX.

Running Resolve 9 Beta 2 on a DIY PC, Windows 7 SP1 64bit.

PC specs:

i5-2500k @ 3.30ghz
Nvidia GTX 560 1024MB GDDR5 (GFX Driver 304.79)
8 GB RAM

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Anish PrithvirajRe: Resolve 9 Windows: "QTDecoder.exe has stopped working"
by on Aug 15, 2012 at 7:43:25 am

Hi Eugene/John,

Could both of you send us a sample of a clip that it is crashing on? You can send the clip to davincihelp (at) blackmagicdesign.com.

Thanks,
Anish

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Marc R LeonardRe: Resolve 9 Windows: "QTDecoder.exe has stopped working"
by on Aug 27, 2012 at 3:00:45 pm

I am having a very similar problem.
I'm running the latest Beta version. I'll be grading for 15 or 20 minutes, and all of a sudden my clips turn black, and I can't access them. Only once did it explicitly tell me it was "QTDecoder" but I assume it's the same problem, because it resulted in the clips all turning black. I am grading PR HQ 444 Slog footage.

I'm running OSX 10.7.4
2.2 i7 8GBs of RAM

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Guillaume CottinRe: Resolve 9 Windows: "QTDecoder.exe has stopped working"
by on Jan 21, 2013 at 3:05:33 pm

Hi everyone,

I had the same problem and contacted Blackmagic's technical support and they were very supportive.

DaVinci does use the system's QuickTime engine, but in my case, we found that the issue was due to a corrupted video (.mov) file inside one of my directories. It appears that when you open a folder in Resolve, the software scans all the files inside that directory, and if it finds a corrupted file, QTD stops working -without telling you what precise file caused the issue.

Look for corrupted or unsopported media files in your directories, put them somewhere else and let me know if it helped.

Best,

G.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John MichaelsRe: Resolve 9 Windows: "QTDecoder.exe has stopped working"
by on Jan 21, 2013 at 4:13:18 pm

Hmmm. While I'm glad it has solved your problem, I am not so sure it's completely the solution.

For several projects, I had written a script to use FFMPEG to repackage all the videos from MOV to MP4 containers, just to see if maybe Resolve would use a different decoder than QTDecoder (which it did not). I still got the errors, and I am certain there are no corrupt videos in the project. Even if there were corrupt original MOVs, ffmpeg would have written proper headers and such to make the new copies stable.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Guillaume CottinRe: Resolve 9 Windows: "QTDecoder.exe has stopped working"
by on Jan 21, 2013 at 4:28:43 pm

Yup. Dunno what else to say.

I also was certain that there were no corrupt files in the folder, but as it turned out, there was one corrupt file out of 630+, and that was enough to mess everything up.

Are your files ProRes LT? I've heard somewhere that LT has issues with Resolve.
Did you try to import a few files into Compressor and "recompress" into the same .mov format? (this adds a generation so it would be only for troubleshooting purposes)
Did you try to remove all accentuation and spaces from the path to your files?

This QTDecoder issue can be a real pain.

G.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]