Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

versions

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
andrew sabletonversions
by on Jul 27, 2012 at 10:33:08 pm

I just can't work out an elegant way to do this.....

I want to create 3 or 4 different looks for a short project to show producers and DP. I want to be able to quickly switch between different versions (eg. version 1 = saturated warm, version 2 = high contrast desat, version 3 = cold low contrast). I want to be able to easily switch between grades not just on a clip level but for every clip in the timeline at once. The only way I can think of to do this is to create an xml with three video tracks of the same timeline on top of each other and then hide and show each separate version. This seems to be a somewhat clumsy workaround.....anyone have any better ideas or is there some functionality in the software that I am overlooking?

Thanks
AS

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Peter BergRe: versions
by on Jul 27, 2012 at 11:23:37 pm

Sorry Andrew,

We have asked to be able to make duplicate versions of sessions for this exact reason. I have been told I can do a Save As and save an alternate version of a project and switch over to that.

Obviously not what we are really looking for.

-Peter

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

andrew sabletonRe: versions
by on Jul 27, 2012 at 11:29:49 pm

hmmmm........odd that in so many ways the software seems designed with real colorists in mind and yet there seems to be some very obvious functionality missing....

thx

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Eric JohnsonRe: versions
by on Jul 27, 2012 at 11:27:40 pm

Instead of an xml w/ 3 layers for your versions, how about bringing the xml in 3x. Do your Primary grade so they all get done at once, then create your different looks in each timeline using versions...

Or for the sake of Quick looks to get an ok on direction, do your looks in the Track node and have your versions there.... That's not the best way for deep work... but it could be a way for getting an idea quickly across...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 28, 2012 at 12:23:29 am

I had tried that once, but for my show I had clips that were coming in with timecode that was off by a few frames. So I had to manually slip the clips after I brought in the XML/AAF.

So to have to do that conform work for each and every XML/AAF I bring in just adds more work and gives me less time for color grading.

-Peter

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Danny ScottingRe: versions
by on Jul 29, 2012 at 5:40:53 am

Sounds like a feature request to me!

The ability to select all in the timeline and move between versions for all shots.

This would be great, for commercials with only a handful of shots its quite quick to change versions on every shot to playback (next scene/next version. next scene/next version etc). But doing on a feature or tv show would be painful.

Maybe in V9??

Danny Scotting - Senior Digital Colourist

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 29, 2012 at 5:43:57 am

Please let them know you want this feature. Many of us have requested the feature, and hopefully with more people sending them emails, they will consider adding it and making our lives easier.

-Peter

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sascha HaberRe: versions
by on Jul 29, 2012 at 8:24:42 am

Before last week I didnt think about it.
But then I had two clients who totally disagreed on everything I did.
One wanted bright colorful and contrasty images, the other lush, purple blacks and orange highlights.
The footage was already treated by me in the best technical way to support both, but oh boy, what a ride.
I also ended up doing it the track node and I actually think its perfect for this.
What i crave much more is the ability to step through timelines on the color page.
We get multiple versions of VFX renderings here and there and there is no easy way of comparing them.
Color versions in fine, but I miss the function to say : play version 3 of all nodes.

So yes I agree, it needs a little more.

A slice of color...

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.2
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Extreme 3D+

ICA Instructor
http://www.icolorist.com/Sascha.html

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joseph MastantuonoRe: versions
by on Jul 30, 2012 at 2:41:06 pm

Sacha beat me to it.

Track Mode is your friend. Be careful with it though...

Joseph Mastantuono
http://www.goodpost.net
Color Grading & Post Production Consulting

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joseph OwensRe: versions
by on Jul 30, 2012 at 4:49:24 pm

Yes, track mode is massively powerful... can you build alt versions of a look in that? I hadn't even thought of it until this thread. I mostly use it as a somewhat dynamic LUT.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]