Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Premier to Resolve

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Alex FranklandPremier to Resolve
by on Jul 13, 2012 at 9:16:45 am

Hey Guys,

I will be colorgrading on a 45min doco pretty soon, of which will be coming from a client using Premier on a PC. Most of the footage was shot using a Red Epic with the occasional Canon DSLR used here and there for B-roll.

Anyway, main question is what would be your best advice in regards to workflow? Iv'e been reading around and noticed people having trouble with this particular workflow (Premier to Resolve) with regards to EDLs, XMLs etc. So would I better off taking the entire sequence and dividing it into 10 or 20min reels?

Another concern is file size... DPX and TIFF sequences are huge! (approx. 4sec(100frames)=1gb! at 2k ). Would I be better off working natively with R3D?

Any help is good help :)

Thanks

Alex.

----------------------------------
8-core, OSX 10.7.3, 16GB
RAID5 4TB,
Radeon HD 5770, Quadro 4000
DeckLink HD Extreme 3D
JVC DT-V24G1
Resolve 8.1.1 + Wave

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Marcus SmithRe: Premier to Resolve
by on Jul 15, 2012 at 2:49:03 am

What version premiere are u running?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alex FranklandRe: Premier to Resolve
by on Jul 15, 2012 at 3:07:08 pm

[Marcus Smith] "What version premiere are u running?"

Hey Marcus,

Thanks for the reply.

They are currently using 5.5 but considering an upgrade to 6. Should I advise anything in particular?

Alex.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Marcus SmithRe: Premier to Resolve
by on Jul 16, 2012 at 11:21:46 am

Firstly I'd strongly recommend you to move to CS6 if it that's possible. Round tripping in Premiere, amongst many other things, works a lot better in the new version, but you may be ok with CS5.5.

In regards to the Red, I would convert all the footage to pro res 444 using something like Monkey Extract. Epic footage requires a lot of processing power and I feel you would have a bad time of it given your listed system specs.
If you want to get all the access to the dynamic range the Red footage offers convert all the footage to the Red Film Log gamma curve during transcoding. Your footage will come in looking flat and you'll need a LUT in Davinci to convert it back, but the benefit of this approach is that you'll have an incredible amount of range to work with. It's also a better work flow when working with R3d natively, as making operations pre lut can yield more natural looking results.

As for the 5D, prepare for the worst. Depending on the camera your 5D TC tracks ay are not read properly in Davinci. Fortunately there are workarounds, but they all involve transcoding the media and re-writing the TC track.

Cheers,

Marcus.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

michael stirlingRe: Premier to Resolve
by on Jul 19, 2012 at 2:58:50 pm

I recommend qtchange for 5D stuff - force a reel name and timecode onto all the clips before the edit (ideally) http://www.videotoolshed.com/product/42/qtchange/

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rohit GuptaRe: Premier to Resolve
by on Jul 17, 2012 at 2:58:49 am

I believe Premiere 5.5.1 or 5.5.2 had some fixes for XML round-trip with Resolve. If you could update to that, you should be ok.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alex FranklandRe: Premier to Resolve
by on Jul 21, 2012 at 12:08:39 pm

Hey, Sorry about the late reply. I'll see how everything goes with the XML after upgrading Premier and let you guys in on what happens.

Thanks for the responses. Much appreciated.

Alex.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]