Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Strange thing...

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Pichela MichelStrange thing...
by on May 24, 2012 at 4:35:35 pm

Hi -

Strange thing when i import in avid the aaf from resolve. Everything seems to work fine : all the graded mxf are load into my bin. The sequence seems ok but... it is not. When i try to play it the clip are not graded. When i do F6 to see to what media it is connected, i see in th e composer that it is to the graded clip. And when i check the name and the media location i see that it is the graded clip. But when i am on my timeline, i see the ungraded clip.... strange isn't it ? ( I am not sure that f you understand my poor english... )
Good graded image on the left side of the composer... bad ungraded image on the right side of the composer ?

Any idea ?

Thanks...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John MichaelsRe: Strange thing...
by on May 25, 2012 at 4:36:47 am

Strange indeed! Have you tried explicitly relinking the graded clips in your sequence?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Pichela MichelRe: Strange thing...
by on May 25, 2012 at 6:14:56 am

Yes - but they are already relinked. The problem seems to be that Avid cannot read Resolve modification to the original clip... Avid points to the clip created by Resolve but cannot read what Resolve changed to them...

I have to replace each clip one by one using F6... A big waste of time !

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike MostRe: Strange thing...
by on May 25, 2012 at 6:22:12 pm

Did you explicity link to the Resolve produced clips (i.e., use "link to selected items in open bins")? If you're still having a hard time, remove the original files from the Avid MediaFiles/MXF tree and leave only the Resolve produced files, then relink.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 25, 2012 at 7:34:48 pm

I told you - the clip from Resolve are already relinked to my sequence : when i do F6 i found them. - and their name are writed on my timeline ( a different name from the original clip )

Remove the original clip could be a solution indeed - but they are all at différent place into 4 different hard disk - do you have a technic to find them easily ? I only know the "reveale file" but it doesn t work for sequence. A way to reveal the place of each masterclip of a sequence ?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John MichaelsRe: Strange thing...
by on May 25, 2012 at 7:39:57 pm

You might have more luck over at the Avid forum. It sounds to me like an issue with Avid, not Resolve.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on May 25, 2012 at 9:15:22 pm

Yes you are right - but maybe some resolve user have already heard about resolve's color correction doesn t been recognize by avid...

Thanks for your help

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 26, 2012 at 1:45:25 am

What you are describing is not possible. When you render out of Resolve, the color is baked in, that is the point of the render. It is not sent as metadata that somehow has to be interpreted by Avid. If you are looking at the Resolve rendered files and your color isn't there, then you didn't set up the Resolve render correctly. The only way I can think of that rendered files from Resolve would not have your color corrections is if you enabled "Flat Pass" on the render page. To confirm that your rendered files have proper color, try reloading them in Resolve and look at them.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 26, 2012 at 6:32:06 am

Yes Resolve colors are there, in Avid : when i hit F6 to load into the recorder original masterclip, resolve'sgraded clip are loaded, and i can play them. But when they are on my timeline, they are ungraded... But it is the same clip, same name, same location !
I am gonna begin a thread on the avid forum...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 26, 2012 at 2:24:04 pm

>>But when they are on my timeline, they are ungraded... But it is the same clip, same name, same >>location !

Then it's NOT the same clip and same location, because Avid doesn't have the capability of "stripping" baked in color correction. It's simply not playing the clip you seem to think it is. Clip names mean very little in Avid, as they're just part of the master clip metadata. The file names are equally unimportant, what's important is the tape name and timecode - which is why the same master clip can be relinked to different media. The clip in the timeline is being linked to the original, ungraded media because that's what you're seeing. The best way to solve this issue is, as I suggested earlier, to remove the original media from the Avid MediaFiles/MXF tree on all media drives and leave only the graded clips. That will ensure that any images you're seeing are from the graded clips only.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 26, 2012 at 6:15:39 pm

Thanks for the another answer - but what about the F6 " Matche frame"button. This is a way to go straight to your media from your timeline, isn t t ? Why, when i do F6 on every clip of my timeline, the good graded media from Resolve are loaded into the viewer ?
That s what i don t understand.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 26, 2012 at 7:36:22 pm

Did you bring in your original media via AMA? That could, in theory, case some strange delinking behavior. Frankly, I've already told you all I can. You're sitting in front of your system and I'm not. I don't really know what you did or what you're seeing, so I really can't advise you beyond what I've already said.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 26, 2012 at 7:44:39 pm

I know... I am gonna find the solution one day... thanks again all of you for your help.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Yoram TalRe: Strange thing...
by on May 26, 2012 at 10:15:07 pm

This sounds like a media Managment issue to me.
I always take the Avid original media drives offline when ready to bring back resolve baked cc files into avid.

Avid is very smart findng the files it needs. In a way you are confusing avid by presenting it with 2 files that are the same for avid but not the same to you.

Be a good methodical clerk.

When ready to use the color corrected files from resolve have only them online.

Good luck. I hope it makes sense.
Tal

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 27, 2012 at 6:29:19 am

Yes Tal it seems to be a very good advice ! But this project is a big big mess, and i don t have the time to re-organize everything...

For the next time : one disk with original media, one disk with resolve media, and i will put offline the first one at the end like you suggest...

Thanks for this wise clerk method.

Michel

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 27, 2012 at 4:06:26 pm

Then do what Michael Phillips (in the Avid forum) and myself suggested and explicitly relink to the Resolve clips. Close all bins except for the one that has your sequence and the one that has all of the Resolve clips. Select the sequence (do this in its own bin). Then select all of the Resolve clips. Leave both bins open, and make sure they're the ONLY bins that are open. Right click on the sequence and select Relink, then highlight the button for "Selected Items in ALL Open Bins." Deselect everything else except "create new sequence" if you want to do that. Your sequence will now relink to your Resolve clips, assuming you did everything I just said, and regardless of whether the original non-Resolve clips are still on line.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]