Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Building a Resolve Machine using BM's specs

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Andrew StoneBuilding a Resolve Machine using BM's specs
by on May 23, 2012 at 8:50:25 pm

Hi everyone,

I know there hasn't been much love around here for Windows based Resolve machines. Lots of complaints about stuff not working.

I'm at the point now where I am going to build myself a new machine. I've presently been doing the vast majority of my creative work on Macs since '89 but I have built over a dozen PC and UNIX boxes over the past 15 years for a number of reasons.

Seems to me that Blackmagic is specific about what motherboard to use, what video cards, capture cards and so on.

Has anyone actually built a Windows box using their specs? If so how did it go in terms of Resolve working?

Do you actually need a GTX 580 for CUDA running 2K HD jobs? Aside from bragging rights, these puppies are known to be power hogs and noisy as all get out.

-Andrew Stone

--
Steadicam & Camera Operator

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris MartinRe: Building a Resolve Machine using BM's specs
by on May 24, 2012 at 5:29:10 am

Here's an old post about a successful Z800 Resolve built.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/277/15347#15841

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andrew StoneRe: Building a Resolve Machine using BM's specs
by on May 24, 2012 at 2:32:36 pm

Thanks Chris! That is a huge help.

Guess I will be ordering a 6 to 8 pin molex cable today to have at the ready should the power supply be short on cabling.

That thread is also a cautionary tale to check the specs on the power supply before you buy it. Most online computer places will list the number and type of molex and/or PCI-E connectors.

I'm getting a 1050w Corsair power supply that is obviously designed for the extreme gamer types that would have a array of heavy duty graphic cards, so it has lots of power cables coming out of it. I will still need to buy a 6 to 8 pin cable though.

-Andrew

--
Steadicam & Camera Operator

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]