Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Can I add a Grain look in Davinci Resolve Lite

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Zack MarchinskyCan I add a Grain look in Davinci Resolve Lite
by on May 7, 2012 at 6:44:52 pm

Using Davinci to do some on set coloring and LUT creating for post production to color dailies more efficiently. My DP would really love to see like on old VHS or grainy film look from the 70's. Is there anyway to add noise or grain, make a LUT and send to post in Davinci Resolve Lit?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Juan SalvoRe: Can I add a Grain look in Davinci Resolve Lite
by on May 7, 2012 at 6:48:26 pm

Not possible to add grain in a LUT. As that would be a temporal change. Also right now tricky to add grain at all in davinci. I go out to AE for grain.

Online Editor | Colorist | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Robert HoullahanRe: Can I add a Grain look in Davinci Resolve Lite
by on May 7, 2012 at 10:21:04 pm

I haven't tried it but can't you use grain clips (like CineGrain) and add them as a second layer in the timeline?

-Rob-

Robert Houllahan
Director / Colorist
Cinelab Inc.
http://www.cinelab.com

MAHC-PRO 6-Core 3X GTX285 20Tb SAS Wave Panel Panny 11UK SDI Plasma.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Vladimir KucherovRe: Can I add a Grain look in Davinci Resolve Lite
by on May 7, 2012 at 11:37:56 pm

That works pretty well - I've been doing grain that way for a few projects with good results. The only problem is, you can't take advantage of it when doing any kind of roundtrip as clips render in source mode and grain isn't baked in. But as a fast way to render a track of grain in overlay mode on finished footage, Resolve works well

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Zack MarchinskyRe: Can I add a Grain look in Davinci Resolve Lite
by on May 8, 2012 at 3:08:22 am

I have some free CiniGrain samples. I'm trying to load them into my session, but the Add Track button won't work. What am I missing?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

richard FloresRe: Can I add a Grain look in Davinci Resolve Lite
by on May 8, 2012 at 8:22:52 pm

Zack,

Select the grain clip you want to add in the media pool, make sure its highlighted. then go to the conform page then click on (add clip). make sure whatever track your adding it too is unlocked. Sometimes its a little buggy so keep trying. Once the grain clip is on the timeline, highlight it and select COMPOSITE MODE and check OVERLAY.....

In the color page you can adjust the grain clip independently by selecting the clip and turning down your blacks and lifting your highlight simultaneously or vice versa for the opposite effect.

or you can just drop the clip on FCP or AVID and use it as an overlay.....

Good Luck

Richard Flores Jr
Lead Colorist
GDC Digital Services
Burbank ,Ca

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Richard FloresRe: Can I add a Grain look in Davinci Resolve Lite
by on May 8, 2012 at 8:28:01 pm

Zack,

Select the grain clip you want to add in the media pool, make sure its highlighted. then go to the conform page then click on (add clip). make sure whatever track your adding it too is unlocked. Sometimes its a little buggy so keep trying. Once the grain clip is on the timeline, highlight it and select COMPOSITE MODE and check OVERLAY.....

In the color page you can adjust the grain clip independently by selecting the clip and turning down your blacks and lifting your highlight simultaneously or vice versa for the opposite effect.

or you can just drop the clip on FCP or AVID and use it as an overlay.....

Good Luck

Richard Flores Jr
Lead Colorist
GDC Digital Services
Burbank ,Ca

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter