Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Full of Resolve this weekend!

COW Forums : Apple iPhone

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Ronald AndersonFull of Resolve this weekend!
by on Sep 7, 2010 at 12:12:05 am

Hello there,
Just had a very exciting and interesting weekend working with my good friend David Catt, of Film Systems,and Walter Biscardi, of Biscardi Creative. Spent several hours on a Linux system using the new Davinci panels. It's like driving a Ferrari! The ultimate in functionality, designed by artists, for an artist hands.
It's great to have access to most, if not all of the Resolve's features on the control surfaces, instead of half on the panels, and half using the mouse. The panels are very substantial, cast aluminum, and the controls very fluid. The software is fairly easy to navigate for someone familiar with 2K Davinci's. Once you have an understanding of the various media paths, and the button functionality, you can fly pretty fast. There are quite a few new features, compared with systems of old, like the unbelievable tracking capability, and the use of nearly un-limited node effects. David Catt was very gracious to avail himself to Walter and I, at Walter's place, for a full Labor Day of personal Resolve demoing, on a Mac version, using the Black Magic card, and an Nvidia card, with a Tangent Wave controller. The same tools as with the Linux system, but with a little less horsepower. We were working with HD materials, that seemed to render in real time. I am waiting to upgrade my own tower, presently set up running Apple Color, until I am sure that the Nvidia cards render properly running either software. Also, as I use a JLCooper CX controller, instead of the Wave, I am hoping that Black Magic releasing it's control info for others to interface soon. For now, I am testing Resolve on my MacBook Pro . I am sure that the Black Magic folks are going to be receptive to suggestions from users that will enhance future software updates even more. Will certainly have more to say as I get deeper into the Beta- software, but I am very excited about this release. Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Illya LaneyRe: Full of Resolve this weekend!
by on Sep 7, 2010 at 12:36:48 am

Awesome news. I've been grading/rendering R3D's with a GT 120 and GTX 285 on a 2008 all weekend. No problems so far. What model do you have?

twitter.com/illyalaney
Motion Design, Color, Editing
SWGC Incorporated

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ronald AndersonRe: Full of Resolve this weekend!
by on Sep 7, 2010 at 12:52:40 am

Using a 2008 Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core duo, with an NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT. 2.4 GHz processor
It may not be beefy enough to navigate r3D media, but ok for now.
May find myself upgrading my big system sooner than later.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Margus VollRe: Full of Resolve this weekend!
by on Sep 7, 2010 at 6:06:34 am

Exiting times we live in :)

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

ergin ÖztürkRe: Full of Resolve this weekend!
by on Oct 13, 2010 at 12:13:57 am

hi Ronald

i am very suprised when i see your post saying you are running resolve on "2008 Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core duo, with an NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT"

i have almost the same mac book pro with "2.2 Ghz Intel core duo with NVIDIA geForce 8600 GT"

do you think i can run resolve on my macbook pro?

i do not have any control panel. can i use resolve without control panel? (i mean with mouse and keyboards)

thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ronald AndersonRe: Full of Resolve this weekend!
by on Oct 13, 2010 at 6:55:53 am

hello ergin,

No, I am afraid you need to have a full 8 core Mac, or better yet the new 12 core, to run Resolve eloquently. I am only noodling around on my laptop to become more familiar with the software.
A control surface is also essential for any real color grading. The Tangent Wave is probably the most affordable, and functional at the moment, but JLCooper is also going to be ready soon. My workhorse is still Apple Color, but am following the Resolve development closely. Also running a Scratch for DI work.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Darin WooldridgeRe: Full of Resolve this weekend!
by on Sep 9, 2010 at 3:50:43 am

I am also running with a 2008 3,1 2.8 dual quad core mac pro.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Illya LaneyRe: Full of Resolve this weekend!
by on Sep 7, 2010 at 6:15:00 am

Ronald Anderson
"I am waiting to upgrade my own tower, presently set up running Apple Color, until I am sure that the Nvidia cards render properly running either software."

Re-read my earlier post and saw that my iPhone didn't copy over the entire message. Just to clarify, the R3D rendering was in reference to Color and FCP on my 2008 tower. I haven't had any issues or bugs yet so everything seems to be running well with the 2 NVIDIA cards.

twitter.com/illyalaney
Motion Design, Color, Editing
SWGC Incorporated

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Simon AstburyRe: Full of Resolve this weekend!
by on Sep 8, 2010 at 9:10:51 am

I was running a tech evaluation on Resolve yesterday. Running off a SAN, conforming from rushes media and also notching flattened QTs at various resolutions. We had a couple of problems with EDLs not conforming properly, and audio not being brought in. Once it was working though, I was very impressed.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

walter biscardiRe: Full of Resolve this weekend!
by on Sep 10, 2010 at 9:51:52 am

That was great last weekend Ron and can't thank you and David enough for coming by. How cool was that to work with one of the original architects of Resolve?

Been poking around in there quite a bit and have definitely learned a lot about how Resolve would fit into our FCP workflow.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]