Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Multiple GPU's work fine with Color...on my system at least...

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Illya LaneyMultiple GPU's work fine with Color...on my system at least...
by on Aug 26, 2010 at 1:18:30 am

I installed a GT 120 on my 2008 MacPro (has to be 800 MHz). The original card is a GeForce 8800 GT. Ran Color and FCP then sent graded RED sequences back and forth multiple times. Absolutely no hang ups whatsoever.

I first tried it on the 8800 GT(which still rocks by the way) on dual monitors then rebooted with my ACD hooked up to the GT 120. I don't have any monitors with a mini display port so I only worked off of 1 screen.

I think the main problem would be using both GPU's to run displays simultaneously, but how many people do that? I ran into this problem months ago when I tried using a 7" Mimo touchscreen with Color and a message popped up saying it doesn't support 3 screens or something.

Hopefully this works out when Resolve comes around.

Reposted on the Apple Forum.

Motion Design, Color, Editing
SWGC Incorporated

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ola Haldor VollRe: Multiple GPU's work fine with Color...on my system at least...
by on Aug 26, 2010 at 5:52:36 am

Nice find. Thanks for the heads up!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Margus VollRe: Multiple GPU's work fine with Color...on my system at least...
by on Aug 26, 2010 at 11:32:48 am

You could now pop in fx4800 for test :)

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Illya LaneyRe: Multiple GPU's work fine with Color...on my system at least...
by on Aug 26, 2010 at 1:12:51 pm

Just get me one and I'll be happy to try it out. Haha.

twitter.com/illyalaney
SWGC Incorporated

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Vladimir KucherovRe: Multiple GPU's work fine with Color...on my system at least...
by on Aug 26, 2010 at 3:18:34 pm

It's not the 4800 but....

I recently got my GT120 and GTX285 and popped both in my 2008 Mac Pro. Leopard kernel panicked on me (no idea why), but Snow Leopard booted like a champ.

I had a monitor plugged into the 285, ran Color, no problems. Rendering and exporting seemed to go fine. (of course, only 8bit and floating point on NVidia cards in Color).

So, that at least confirms that if you have a 120/285 DaVinci setup you can still go back and use Color.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joseph OwensRe: Multiple GPU's work fine with Color...on my system at least...
by on Aug 26, 2010 at 3:57:03 pm

[Vladimir Kucherov] "at least confirms that if you have a 120/285 DaVinci setup you can still go back and use Color."

By unplugging one of the GPU's, correct? Because there are other forums full of woe and lamentation regarding this very subject.

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Vladimir KucherovRe: Multiple GPU's work fine with Color...on my system at least...
by on Aug 26, 2010 at 4:02:47 pm

Do you mean unplug from the motherboard, or unplug all monitors connected to it?

Both cards were plugged in, but only the GTX285 had any monitors attached to it. I'm guessing running monitors on both cards would cause problems.

I'm also guessing that to go between a DaVinci and Color on that setup would require swapping monitors, because I have a feeling the GT120 would be underpowered to run Color. I have not tested this though.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 26, 2010 at 4:58:10 pm

Problem comes when monitors are plugged into both cards I think. Why anyone would do that, I don't know.

When I used the GT120 it was about a 10 to 1 render time for 4KHD R3D to ProRes 422. Basic grade with 2 secondaries including a cheesy vignette and an HSL key on the talent's skin. Managed to get 12 fps using half resolution proxy with secondary display UI turned off for playback. It dropped to 7-8 fps as soon as I turned the Color scopes back on.

twitter.com/illyalaney
SWGC Incorporated

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 26, 2010 at 6:30:20 pm

[Vladimir Kucherov] "Do you mean unplug from the motherboard, or unplug all monitors connected to it?"

The latter -- unplug the monitor(s) from the supernumary GPU. Then the OS ignores it, and its how you sidestep the multiple GPU issue as has been explored in the past couple of years. Yes, it "works", but only in the sense that only one GPU is officially recognized at a time within the Apple COLOR implementation, and its when you "remove" it from activity, the conflicts resolve.

This single pipeline is one of the reasons why the "real-time preview playback" has eluded users, and even a somewhat higher performance card would hardly make any difference at all. Reality is that it would have to be orders of magnitude faster, not just a percentage comparable to a restaurant tip. That might be important for a gamer, but the gap is so large in COLOR that debating the difference between a couple of cards in the same family is fatuous.

jPo

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 26, 2010 at 7:27:22 pm

Are you also saying that the reason DaVinci can do realtime is in large reason due to using 2 GPUs? Surely the GT120 doesn't add that much to a 285 or a 4800.

Or does DaVinci simply run on dark matter and rainbows?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 26, 2010 at 7:31:10 pm

Hi.

120 is for gui only second card is for RT.

For example like computer games. Some parts are for gui some are core rendering in hardware.

This what CUDA gpu does (285 or 4800).

--

Margus

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 26, 2010 at 7:31:10 pm

Is there any sort of benchmark test comparing GPU's and render times for Color? I'm curious to see how much of a difference it makes.

twitter.com/illyalaney
SWGC Incorporated

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 26, 2010 at 7:44:41 pm

I think I've seen some rough benchmarks done on CreativeCow's Color forum. I might search for those.

The problem of course is there are a lot of variables in addition to GPU to consider.

I remember getting about 4fps boost going from an 8800 to Radeon HD 4870, and then maintaining framerate when I jumped on the GTX285.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 26, 2010 at 8:39:56 pm

[Vladimir Kucherov] "there are a lot of variables"

That's a mouthful. Yes, Blackmagic Resolve's "real time" is predicated on CUDA which is why its nVidia-only at this point, and likely to remain so. When users consider attempting to run both Apple COLOR and BMResolve on the same platform, it is plainly possible; even though the recommended profiles, read -- the ones supported by the manufacturer without being reprimanded for asking for help when the home brew doesn't work -- are almost diametrically opposed. I can't even get COLOR/FCP to run flake-free on a single system under Snow Leopard on a textbook hardware configuration, so trying to get these two to share a bunk is not on my personal to-do list. Thanks, but its bad enough as it is.

If it costs even a day to fix, those "thousands" of dollars are down the toilet.

jPo

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 26, 2010 at 9:19:54 pm

Why one would want to use color after resolve ?

Speed flexibility etc is so much more that i see no reason to struggle.
Even if there is a bit investment in tech involved.

--

Margus

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 26, 2010 at 11:09:41 pm

It all depends on how good Resolve's roundtrip from final cut is.

I've done a few jobs, PSAs and other 1minute or under things that were shot on an XDCam or the Canon SLR, that I've been able to open up the FCP, send to Color, grade in 1 hour, and render back out in 5 minutes. Client like that doesn't have a lot of money, so charging them only 1 hour of color time with no conform costs makes that kind of easy job possible.

I can see things like that being more of a pain with the DaVinci

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 27, 2010 at 4:55:37 am

As far as i have seen Canon material runs really smoothly.
RED suport is even cooler when you have rocket.

From fcp to Resolve it goes really silky.
Edit in fcp, export edl, import edl and whoom your done.
Just in seconds.

Really cool thing is conform with different versions.
Lets say client makes really last minute changes.
You just export new edl, import, whoom you have diferent version.
And it is really simple to swich between versions while you work.

I have had real pain with Color if client wants to change stuff.

--

Margus

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ola Haldor VollRe: Multiple GPU's work fine with Color...on my system at least...
by on Aug 27, 2010 at 6:45:12 am

Agreed! I don't see any problem with the round trip.

1. edit
2. export EDL
3. add media to project and cut it to pieces with EDL
4. if there's a new version of the EDL, your previous grades will transfer to the new timeline

If the show is delivered as a master QT file, you can use Scene cut to let DaVinci go through the file and give you a jump start. No cutting in FCP is needed.. And you could save an EDL of the cutting DaVinci does.

You should read up on the manual, even though it's for Resolve 6, it's quite valuable to spend some time with it.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 27, 2010 at 4:00:55 pm

I'm very excited about being able to drop in new edits without having to redo everything. That along with the tracker is one of my biggest sells on DaVinci.

However, out of habit and many many bad all nighters, I don't trust any workflow I haven't run myself. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than sorely disapointed!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 27, 2010 at 4:07:53 pm

Key pulling seems very fast also.

I have one shot which was total pain in Color.
In test it took me less than few minutes.

--

Margus

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Arthur PuigRe: Multiple GPU's work fine with Color...on my system at least...
by on Aug 27, 2010 at 7:42:32 am

[Margus Voll] "Why one would want to use color after resolve ?"

In my case, I would while I'm transitioning from Color to DaVinci, once I'm up to speed and got a nice workflow going, I want to forget Color ever existed.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 27, 2010 at 7:53:34 am

You have to admit the Color Effects room is pretty cool though.

twitter.com/illyalaney
SWGC Incorporated

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 27, 2010 at 7:55:19 am

Yes it is.

Lets hope something similar will come later on.

--

Margus

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 27, 2010 at 8:45:33 am

DaVinci is based on nodes, right? You have different types of nodes, and I would be surprised if you can't do what Color does just with those nodes in DaVinci.

One node can hold up to four power windows, you can even use selectors to separate one color from the rest of the image, and still use those power windows. Track them all.. just wow.. Think about it!

You can blur, sharpen, "mist", rotate, scale, you name it. All those settings in each node. I'm having a hard time understanding the possibilities.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 29, 2010 at 5:26:41 am

Yes, that is cool, what it would be great is if Resolve could support some third party plugins, like Sapphire or Monster, or even better, Magic Bullet Colorista!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 27, 2010 at 7:54:20 am

In a one way color has been really nice tool at its price point.

Resolve has just so much more to offer.

I think in a week one should be able to swap. In two weeks run or fly after you have
the idea what you are doing.

--

Margus

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 27, 2010 at 7:31:57 pm

Yeah, I mean, in a way I love Color, like you said price point and everything, it's just I've been let down by Apple with its lack of interest in it. It's been really frustrating awaiting for a software update hoping it was going to take it to a mature developed software, but instead it became an accessory to sell more FCPs. (RED was cool though)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 27, 2010 at 9:27:52 pm

I'm going to be geeking out for weeks . Also planning to go grade a bunch of spots from the last few years because I'm really curious if it will affect my style. It's still kind of crazy thinking about how I started out using Color Finesse a few years ago and now I'll have a DaVinci at home. Haha.

twitter.com/illyalaney
SWGC Incorporated

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 27, 2010 at 9:38:45 pm

I'm just currently doing that.

My style got really much faster and gave me time to experiment more
with looks etc.

--

Margus

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 27, 2010 at 9:54:32 pm

That's awesome. How'd you get a copy? What're you using it on?

twitter.com/illyalaney
SWGC Incorporated

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 27, 2010 at 9:57:48 pm

I have seen it few times on the net :)

googel up.

Now i have actually read it.

--

Margus

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 30, 2010 at 7:33:58 pm

The GTX is in the mail. Should arrive here within the week.

twitter.com/illyalaney
SWGC Incorporated

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael CinquinRe: Multiple GPU's work fine with Color...on my system at least...
by on Aug 31, 2010 at 11:04:06 am

Illya, could you try using SwitchResX de-activating feature to run Color with 2 monitors on one gpu, and 1 monitor deactivated by SwitchResX on the second gpu ?
I will do the test myself in a not so distant future

cheers

Michael Cinquin

Final Cut Pro - Avid Media Composer editor
Baselight - Color colorist
http://www.michaelcinquin.com/tools : tools for FCP | Color | RED | subtitles | Cinema Tools | Timecode - Keycode calculator

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 31, 2010 at 11:06:23 am

Thanks.

--

Margus

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 2, 2010 at 6:41:29 pm

My GTX 285 just arrived today so I'll install it tonight. I'll post the results this weekend.

twitter.com/illyalaney
SWGC Incorporated

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael CinquinRe: Multiple GPU's work fine with Color...on my system at least...
by on Oct 8, 2010 at 5:10:19 pm

[Michael Cinquin] "I will do the test myself in a not so distant future"
So I did the test, and switchResX works beautifully to virtually disconnect the gtx285 of any monitor when running DaVinci

Michael

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]