Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

My class needs footage for practice...

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Ian CampbellMy class needs footage for practice...
by on Mar 22, 2012 at 7:57:22 pm

I'm teaching a little editing at the tail end of our intro film production class and I am finding a hard time locating any footage I can use for my students to work with. I don't really have enough time for them to shoot stuff this year, so I need something flexible and relatively interesting.

I've been looking for a simple scene with dialogue that includes a master shot and a couple different angles and perhaps some cutaways. Most of the footage I find packaged for this purpose is not narrative (i.e. the Premiere classroom in a book dvd contains mostly stock footage and a single interview). Does anyone have a source for something like this, either online for download, youtube or dvd's? Dailies, uncut raw footage from any source, special features, multicamera files, etc...

Thanks.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark SuszkoRe: My class needs footage for practice...
by on Mar 22, 2012 at 8:27:47 pm

For a long time the go-to material set for things like this was Roger Ebert's "The Hold Up", designed specifically for what you're trying to do. It contained coverage, tight shots, dialogue, cut-aways, everything you needed to cut a sequence together. When it came out, it was on umatic tapes with time code and film code window burns on it, so the kids could learn to log shots and even do a "paper edit" before going into the "online room".

I don't know what Ebert's done with that stuff now, maybe it's gone public domain? If not, someone should do that again.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Glen MontgomeryRe: My class needs footage for practice...
by on Mar 22, 2012 at 8:55:11 pm

Get a copy of Sam Kaufman's "Avid Editing", which has two scenes from short films included. It was what my teacher gave to us back in school to do the same thing.

http://www.amazon.com/Avid-Editing-Fourth-Beginning-Intermediate/dp/0240810...

Editor / Motion Graphics Artist, Denver CO
http://coldpost.tv/

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bill DavisRe: My class needs footage for practice...
by on Mar 23, 2012 at 3:38:07 am

At the risk of a commercial post...

I created a program a few years back designed specifically to do this for schools.

It's called "StartEditingNow!" (http://www.starteditingnow.com)

It provides completely rights cleared practice footage purpose built for schools to use to teach editing skills.

It comes with lessons (that you can use or not) but also with more than a hundred purpose produced clips that are keyed to the lessons and ready for editing.

It's being used in elementary, middle, high schools and colleges across the country. (We recently delivered 21 copies to Bronx Community College)

There are two versions, one for general editing classes (the classic edition) the other specifically for younger students (the young editors edition.)

The lessons are the same, but the provided footage in the first is targeted at older students, e.g. a "cutting on action" drill sequence set on a golf tee - where the "young editors edition" features skateboarding footage.)

Again, sorry, I know commercial pitches are frowned upon here, but it's precisely what you've asked about - and I'm proud of it.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: My class needs footage for practice...
by on Mar 23, 2012 at 7:03:23 pm

HEY! I used this footage when I took my editing class! It replaced the scene from Gunsmoke that people before me had to edit.

Man, this brings back memories. And it was fun to see how differently students edited their scenes. They all were different...in small and big ways.

I didn't know that Roger Ebert was behind this footage.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ian CampbellRe: My class needs footage for practice...
by on Mar 23, 2012 at 9:38:45 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try to located some of these...

The roger ebert clip is on youtube, but he is talking over it the whole time. Illustrative nonetheless...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: My class needs footage for practice...
by on Mar 23, 2012 at 9:55:32 pm

Well, you don't want to have to rip the footage from YouTube, convert it to something and use THAT to edit with anyway. What a nightmare.

When we got it, it was all on film and Mag full coat. WE cut on KEM flatbeds. This was FILM baby!

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Oliver PetersRe: My class needs footage for practice...
by on Mar 24, 2012 at 2:23:13 pm

Contact the educational folks at Avid and Adobe. Both have extensive tutorials that use sample media. Maybe you can make arrangements to get some of these files. In fact, you can probably download sample projects with the trial versions (I think).

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Fred JodryRe: My class needs footage for practice...
by on Mar 26, 2012 at 4:06:29 pm

Ian, would some already made film prints help you? (Telecine ready). If you are in the New York City area then local pickup would be practical. Fred, educationalbroadcasting@hotmail.com

My class needs footage for practice...
by Ian Campbell on Mar 22, 2012 at 3:57:22 pm

I'm teaching a little editing at the tail end of our intro film production class and I am finding a hard time locating any footage I can use for my students to work with. I don't really have enough time for them to shoot stuff this year, so I need something flexible and relatively interesting.

I've been looking for a simple scene with dialogue that includes a master shot and a couple different angles and perhaps some cutaways. Most of the footage I find packaged for this purpose is not narrative (i.e. the Premiere classroom in a book dvd contains mostly stock footage and a single interview). Does anyone have a source for something like this, either online for download, youtube or dvd's? Dailies, uncut raw footage from any source, special features, multicamera files, etc...

Thanks.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bill DavisRe: My class needs footage for practice...
by on Mar 29, 2012 at 10:21:43 am

[Fred Jodry] "I've been looking for a simple scene with dialogue that includes a master shot and a couple different angles and perhaps some cutaways. Most of the footage I find packaged for this purpose is not narrative (i.e. the Premiere classroom in a book dvd contains mostly stock footage and a single interview). Does anyone have a source for something like this, either online for download, youtube or dvd's? Dailies, uncut raw footage from any source, special features, multicamera files, etc...

Thanks.
"

Again, yes.

My SEN program has precisely this The program has more than 100 separate video clips all rights cleared and we even have a Classroom Workshop Edition that includes curriculum notes, enrichment exercises and a variety of other professionally produced teaching tools.

It's also constructed in a unique "multi-track movie" format where each interior scene has alternate choices so that a class or student editors can all take different paths through the stories.

It includes a full 2-camera scene between two main characters in a restaurant setting with ample opportunities for teaching dialog editing.

http://www.starteditingnow.com

We're in dozens of schools nationwide.

FWIW.

end of all "commercials" thanks for reading.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jamie LittyRe: My class needs footage for practice...
by on Oct 4, 2012 at 5:05:12 am

The Hold Up can still be purchased. Originally from the series on "Master Classes for the Media Arts," it is, at any rate, still available from First Light Video Publishing. You can buy the whole kit with Roger Ebert commentary and completed versions of the bank robbery, or just the rushes, as I have done in the past. Available in various formats. I bought it some years ago on VHS and later digitized it to teach continuity editing in Final Cut Pro in my summer class that has an accelerated five-week term.

I used to use the Gunsmoke editing exercise way back when, but I lost the tapes! Does anyone still have this? I found a professor over the web more than a year ago who was still using it, and his assistant was supposed to copy it for me and send it to me, but they never did.

Another exercise (corny, and dated, like The Hold Up) is Crisis on Campus, about a [fake] hostage-taker and active shooter on a college campus. (How prophetic.) I have used this in the past in broadcast journalism class. A variety of news packages can be made from the raw footage. This is also now sold through First Light Video Publishing, and I think it originated with the folks who did The Hold Up back in the day.

Please, if anyone has the rushes from the Gunsmoke editing exercise, let me know how I can obtain these!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Corey HaineRe: My class needs footage for practice...
by on Oct 12, 2012 at 5:34:32 am

I have the Gunsmoke rushes in quicktime format. It's about 15 minutes long and 3.3 GB large. When I was in Final Cut Pro class, the instructor gave me the Gunsmoke Rushes to practice editing. It was on a mini DV tape and I was instructed to log and capture in FCP and edit it.

How do you want me to send this to you?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jamie LittyRe: My class needs footage for practice...
by on Oct 12, 2012 at 12:35:36 pm

Gosh, that's thoughtful of you. Do you want me to send you a 4 GB flash drive or something? Or a blank DVD-R? --Jamie (Prof Litty)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ivan WagnerRe: My class needs footage for practice...
by on Nov 9, 2012 at 5:10:05 am

hi, i am from film academy in belgrade we have the same exercise, but our raw video is in very very low quality, is it possible to send me somehow raw footage(upload it)???

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Misha TenenbaumRe: My class needs footage for practice...
by on Nov 13, 2013 at 1:21:52 am

Just started this website. http://www.EditStock.com. It's exactly what you're looking for. Footage for the classroom.

Editor - Trainer
Post Production Supervisor
http://www.MishaPost.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]