Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Music issues

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Josh PaulsonMusic issues
by on Apr 22, 2011 at 4:23:12 pm

I made a commercial for my company using music from Killer Tracks. I know they license their music for around $200 a pop for most songs, and I thought this was reasonable. Cheaper than getting a recording label to give us a track anyway.
When going to the boss to get the money to use the song, he said to not go to a Ferrari store when all you can afford is a junker. He also said there is free use music online. Does such a thing exist?

An editor's work is never complete. It is only abandoned when time has been exhausted. - paraphrase from Leo da Vinci

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Richard HerdRe: Music issues
by on Apr 22, 2011 at 5:29:36 pm

search for "royalty free music"

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Josh PaulsonRe: Music issues
by on Apr 22, 2011 at 5:59:30 pm

I got 3,290,000 results. Which one do I click on?

An editor's work is never complete. It is only abandoned when time has been exhausted. - paraphrase from Leo da Vinci

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark SuszkoRe: Music issues
by on Apr 22, 2011 at 8:59:05 pm

"Rolaty free" doesn't necessarily mean the guy is letting you have it for free, only that you won't have to KEEP paying him after the one-time fee.

I'm a huge fan of SmartSound's Sonic Fire Pro, which uses a construction set of loops to build seemingly infinite variations of music to order, any length, automatically. However... you still have to feed the beast from time to time with additional collections of loops, to expand it's catalog and thus it's amount of possible variations, so it won't get stale.

Something new they are doing for Sonic Fire is an online all-web version, so you don't have to own the app and all the content disks, but buy a single custom made track to order, something like itunes, it needs an internet connection and a credit card... This could be a good way to go if you are a very casual user that only needs this kind of thing occasionally.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Stephen SmithRe: Music issues
by on Apr 22, 2011 at 9:27:07 pm

You get what you pay for. However Royalty Free music is a lot cheeper then purchasing Needle Drops.

Take a look at this Free Graphics and Audio Elements article.

I'm a fan of Digital Juices Stack Traxx Library but they only make it available for purchase every once in a while.

iStockphoto & Revostock have music you can purchase as well. A lot cheaper then $200

Take a look at Abaltat Muse, it has a free version with one track available. Here is an article you need to read: http://library.creativecow.net/articles/smith_stephen/abaltat_muse.php

Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Apr 26, 2011 at 3:30:19 pm

So much great info to work with here Stephen. You are always so helpful! Thank you for being so active in the online community.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Stephen SmithRe: Music issues
by on Apr 26, 2011 at 3:31:51 pm

Happy to help Josh. Thanks for the kind words.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Scott CumboRe: Music issues
by on Apr 23, 2011 at 4:01:36 am

did you tell him $200 for a song is not a Ferrari, more like a 1985 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera.

Scott Cumbo
Editor
Broadway Video, NYC

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+3

adam taylorRe: Music issues
by on Apr 24, 2011 at 4:42:34 pm

if you have any musical ability, or even just an ear for a tune, try making your own using something like Garageband. Just cut together some of the thousands of samples and beats that come with the software, till you get something you like.

Its free to use, because you are classed as the composer, and if you register yourself with one of the royalty collection agencies (in the UK its T"he Performing Rights Society"). Then whenever your ad is broadcast, the tv stations also have to pay royalties, which will be collected by the agency (it helps if you register the music title as well as the ad clock numbers) and you will get a little payback every few months!

I have done this on a few of our ads this past year, and so far its earned close to four figures! Not bad for a non musician.

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

http://www.sculptedbliss.co.uk

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Apr 26, 2011 at 3:26:03 pm

I think I am going to spend today learning Garage Band. I believe I have a copy I have never even bothered to launch. Thanks for the idea!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeffrey Di LulloRe: Music issues
by on Apr 24, 2011 at 7:24:39 pm

Check out twistedtracks.com They have some pretty good music, I use them all the time on lower (and some higher) budget projects. Sorry to hear that you cut to a piece of music that you liked only to be stonewalled over $200.

Jeffrey Di Lullo
jeffedits.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 25, 2011 at 5:26:36 pm

Looks good. Thanks for the input. These are more reasonably priced for what I have to work with.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]