Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Star Trek 2k?

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Carlton RahmaniStar Trek 2k?
by on Jun 12, 2010 at 9:12:28 am

So I read on another forum that the latest Star Trek movie was edited 2k. . .can anyone confirm or deny this?
I'd be amazed if this was true, and am curious about it. I watched the movie at IMAX, and I was REALLY amazed at how crisp and beautiful the picture looked. I mean, I was trying to scrutinize, and I couldn't see anything that looked like pixels or even film grain (unlike Transformers, where the pixels were obvious at first--obviously digital projection--and distracting until my attention was diverted to just how bad a movie it was).
Honestly, before I heard the 2k rumor, I was wondering if there was such a thing as '8k' projection, particularly for IMAX films.
Anyone got some info?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark SuszkoRe: Star Trek 2k?
by on Jun 14, 2010 at 2:05:45 pm

How can you tell anything about the details thru all that lens flare? :-)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Stephen SmithRe: Star Trek 2k?
by on Jun 14, 2010 at 3:54:35 pm

Watch the special feature that comes on the standard DVD that can be rented. You will see J.J. Abrams hitting a film cameras Mickey mouse ears to give it that cool camera shake look. Also, take a look at this article in Creative COW magazine. A fantastic magazine that is free and worth reading page to page ever edition. http://magazine.creativecow.net/article/your-future-is-now

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 15, 2010 at 3:37:01 pm

[Mark] How can you tell anything about the details thru all that lens flare? :-)

Mark, you have to see this if you already haven't.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark SuszkoRe: Star Trek 2k?
by on Jun 15, 2010 at 4:15:57 pm

I only survived viewing that because we Vulcans have a vestigial inner eyelid that guards against permanenet blindness.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Carlton RahmaniRe: Star Trek 2k?
by on Jun 17, 2010 at 5:17:53 am

Oh yeah, HISHE vids are great. The best are for Transformers and LOTR. As for lens flare, I think it's got its place. A lot of people complain of it being a new fad, and they may be partially right. But if you ever watch the classic movie Poltergeist, you'll see how lens flare at the right moments add to the 'supernatural' feel of the whole thing. A little creepy. . .

But, apart from all that, and all your guys' wonderful opinion--and, yes, I've seen that camera-shaking thing they do--anyone want to answer my question.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Walter SoykaRe: Star Trek 2k?
by on Jun 17, 2010 at 2:47:13 pm

[Carlton Rahmani] "So I read on another forum that the latest Star Trek movie was edited 2k. . .can anyone confirm or deny this? "

IMDB's tech specs for Star Trek says they used a 2K digital intermediate.

Like most major IMAX releases, they used a proprietary process called IMAX DMR for noise reduction and scaling for the IMAX print.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 17, 2010 at 5:23:42 pm

Carlton, sorry, I miss read your question. I thought you where asking what it was shot in. Any ways, looks like Walter answered your question. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 18, 2010 at 1:05:40 am

And don't worry about it. . .glad to 'provide' the opportunity to toss a couple of other things back and forth. And, yes, HISHE DOES rock!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 18, 2010 at 2:46:22 pm

Yeah, I'm a big fan of HISHE as well. I also think Star Trek was my favorite movie of last year. I think the lens flare made the Enterprise look real cool, it add a good energy to the movie. I liked the lens flares on Transformers as well. However, they were over kill and distracting in the 2nd on, I think I could go on about the 2nd Transformers but I'll just say I love the HISHE version way better.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 18, 2010 at 1:04:21 am

Thanks for the info. I shoulda check IMDB, but figured I'd try and get a little more insight from the 'source'. Thanks for the stuff about IMAX though. Even if it's just a lead--i.e. something to google--it's still good to know about.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 18, 2010 at 1:57:59 pm

So much of the press on the Star Trek movie was about J.J. Abrams's decision to shoot anamorphic, and about matching digital flares to the physical ones. It seems the digital intermediate was completely overshadowed.

Speaking of 8k for IMAX, though, the Dark Knight IMAX used a mix of 4k, 5.6k, and 8k film scanning and VFX pipelines for different sequences.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 19, 2010 at 8:56:45 am

So there is an 8k. . .at least that is occasionally practiced. Thanks for filling me in. As for the press regarding production--and I don't know why shooting anamorphic would get so much buzz--I acknowledge that editing is perhaps the most overlooked, in terms of popular attention, aspect of production. . .definitely the least in terms of the major talent needed to execute a film, the other two being director and DP. Probably why it didn't even occur to me to check out IMDB.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 19, 2010 at 6:21:04 pm

[Carlton Rahmani] "So there is an 8k. . .at least that is occasionally practiced. Thanks for filling me in. As for the press regarding production--and I don't know why shooting anamorphic would get so much buzz--I acknowledge that editing is perhaps the most overlooked, in terms of popular attention, aspect of production. . .definitely the least in terms of the major talent needed to execute a film, the other two being director and DP. Probably why it didn't even occur to me to check out IMDB."

Sorry, I thought you were asking about the finishing for Star Trek -- the offline edit was done in HD on Avid Media Composer Adrenalines with DNxHD 36:

http://www.avid.com/US/about-avid/customer-stories/Star-Trek-A-New-View-fro...

And they had some technical difficulties with the Adrenaline systems:

http://www.studiodaily.com/main/technique/craft/f/editing/Editing-Star-Trek...

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy