Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Archival footage

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
tel jabaArchival footage
by on Sep 4, 2009 at 2:15:31 pm

Hello everyone

I am looking for historical footage, Europe in different years 1900-1960 and all the videos that I found on the net are extremely expensive. and I was wondering if you could suggest a way to find historical footage that won't cost me an arm and a leg?

how do I get public domain footage and where?

it is for a documentary that will be sold in Europe not for broadcast on TV.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Micah McDowellRe: Archival footage
by on Sep 8, 2009 at 2:59:57 pm

You might want to check out the Prelinger Arrchives at the Internet Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/prelinger).

This is a collection of thousands of public domain films (mostly industrial or educational films). You might find something interesting of use to you. You can use the compressed videos that are downloadable for free without restriction from archive.org, or else you'll have to pay for high-quality versions from Getty Images.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gav BottRe: Archival footage
by on Sep 10, 2009 at 10:36:52 pm

A side note - in many European countries there is no such thing as "Public Domain" in a legal sense.

This doesn't stop lots of production companies acting like there is - but is worth knowing where you stand before you start.

For example in the UK unless it's more than 75 years old (need to check that number) pretty much everything belongs to someone, and even when it is old you might get into a Peter Pan situation.

The Brit in Brisbane
The Pomme in Production - Brisbane Australia.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]