Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

The Star Wipe

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Mike CohenThe Star Wipe
by on Sep 4, 2008 at 5:40:04 pm

In the spirit of the previous thread, this post's theme is:

"Ask not what your NLE is capable of. Ask what capabilities of your NLE you should actually use on a regular basis."

Apologies to the Kennedy family.

Some thoughts of mine, please share your own:

I recall when the Video Toaster came out, we saw a number of self-made videos with those craaazy toaster wipes, used for no other reason than the cool factor. Although that silhouette effect of the weightlifter was pretty sweet ;)

I once received a video for our library that had a different shaped wipe at every edit. This was always the tell tale sign of an amateur video, or at least a video made by someone who had invested in some expensive video gear.

"I paid for that switcher. Dagnabbit I'm gonna use every star, heart and venetian blind wipe available!!"

I spent a half day editing out the transitions - I think the video came out about 2 minutes shorter!

More recently, I videotaped someone giving a PowerPoint lecture before a packed house. His first slide flew into frame, and he said the words "Shock and Awe!" This must have been around 2003 apparently. Then each and every slide came in with a different DVE or 3D effect. Very corny.

Just this past month I received a self-made video which was overall pretty good. However at the end, when the logo of the doctor's practice appeared, suddenly some outrageous Greek pop music arrived, and the logo split into two 3D spheres, danced to the beat and then flew away. Got my attention.

I would be interested to hear other readers' examples of poor use of video transitions.

Mike

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

grinner hesterRe: The Star Wipe
by on Sep 5, 2008 at 2:24:33 pm

I apply cheese in the name of creativity but I never go to it when I can't think of something that looks good.
Being an old linear editor, we are well trained in the art of saying no and making it seem like the client's idea. Over the years my kooth has faded. A fine example would be just a couple of years ago I was editing for a novice producer (as we all do from time to time) when in the middle of an ok piece he busts out with a "ooo can you do a page turn??!"
I laughed and said something like "the capability is here but the possibility is not."
lol
Man, I'd sooner do the dropping sheep wipe from the toaster.
In the name of nostalgia, again I do love cheezy wipes but when a producer wants to fill the show with the full library of uselessness, I now get frustrated and wrap it up early.
I'd like to think my worst edits are behind me.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Stephen SmithRe: The Star Wipe
by on Sep 5, 2008 at 4:21:47 pm

Ahh, the dropping sheep wipe, that brings back memories. I was at a sales presentation for Final Cut Pro 3 and the sales guy announced that it now has around a 100 transitions. The room was silent and the sales guy then said, yeah...I don't use them either. Then everyone laughed. Well, I'll star wipe transition out of here.

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark SuszkoRe: The Star Wipe
by on Sep 5, 2008 at 7:53:12 pm

"Why have hamburger, when you can have steak?"-Homer Simpson
"I'm taking my name off the credits."-Lisa Simpson

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike CohenRe: The Star Wipe
by on Sep 6, 2008 at 4:45:31 am

It is funny that on pre-digital broadcast switchers, like the GVG 300 and so forth, there were buttons dedicated to wipe patterns. Granted you could assign preset motions or switcher presets to these buttons, but did Grass Valley think the Heart wipe was so useful that they needed a dedicated button for it?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ramil PasibeRe: The Star Wipe
by on Sep 7, 2008 at 4:00:24 pm

All those fancy transitions are definitely a sign of an amateur at work. Reminds me of the old days when I was just learning adobe premiere and thinking - "wow there's a lot of option here - and then there's this need to utlize all of them. - hahaha glad I got those things behind me.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gary ChvatalRe: The Star Wipe
by on Sep 8, 2008 at 12:01:40 am

I had a client this past week ask if I could recommend some software for him to edit at home. He wanted something with lots of different transitions...what he was using now only had a limited amounts of options. I told him I wasn't sure which packages offered the most transitions because I only used cuts and dissolves....

I'm not sure that he understood my point....

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 8, 2008 at 12:04:12 pm

I use to think that once voice activation was the norm on computers that we editors would be out of a job. I really did look at it as we were the go between from producer to machine.
Now, I see very few producers are producers at all and even fewer are editors. As more and more producers are handed laptops with FCP on them, more and more blank looks are offered to laptop screens on airplanes, our rates slowly trickle up.
I say bring on the kiki wipes, man. They create job security like a mofo.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Charlie KingRe: The Star Wipe
by on Sep 9, 2008 at 3:24:41 pm

The year was 1975, we got our new Grass Valley 1600-7G switcher, God I felt like I had reached heaven. My first client came in and his first words were, "I want to use some of those great new transitions you got." I replied, "No you don't." He said no? I said nope.

As Grinner said, I have slipped backward now tho since I create video for the High Tech Marquees at Caesars Palace and Ballys on the strip here in Las Vegas, ya just gotta go with the glitzy look of Las Vegas. I'm not thrilled about it but I do it, well let me say I have been doing it.

Tomorrow is my last day. I am joining the ranks of the unemployed as a retiree. I will still have my fingers in the pie as a consultant, but I ain't working no more.

I told Ron and Kathlyn that they might want to remove me as a forum leader, since I will be removed from actual work, but they haven't done it yet. I will still be around checking up on things, but probably as with teh last year, not as often as before.

I love all of you guys and gals.

Charlie

ProductionKing Video Services
Unmarked Door Productions
Flamingo Las Vegas Hotel
Las Vegas, Nevada

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 11, 2008 at 2:08:51 pm

ritire.
what does retire mean?
IN my experience it's when people start doing what they want instead of what they have to.
That aint a retirement, man. Thats a beginning.

try to creep your old bones to the midwest, Charlie. PLenty of handicap parking for little old men. I'll take you to a Dennys.
lol
and then to the race track, brother! You ever gone drifting!?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris BovéRe: The Star Wipe
by on Sep 10, 2008 at 9:44:21 pm

There's a doof in every company (usually wearing a tie patterned with little hot dogs or Santas) that really digs injecting software with unnecessary crud like heart wipes and page curls. It loads up switchers and software with buttons, just to make it look as-or-more impressive than the next guy's.

You can go to any major hardware store and buy a power drill, anything from a $20 Black and Decker to a $1,000 Milwaukee. Really though, all you need is a hole, right?

Next thing you know, they'll redesign the stop sign...

...or the hammer...
http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/DewaltNailGun-450.jpg

______
/-o-o-
`(=)`/...Pixel Monkey
`(___)

A picture says 1000 words. Editors give them meaning.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 10, 2008 at 9:54:13 pm

I remember doing a bunch of productions for those people. It had to be them.

Charlie

Flamingo Las Vegas Hotel
Las Vegas, Nevada

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 11, 2008 at 2:59:21 pm

[Chris Bové ] A picture says 1000 words. Editors give them meaning.

That is awesome, where did the quote come from?

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

cowcowcowcowcow
Chris BovéRe: The Star Wipe
by on Sep 12, 2008 at 2:46:23 pm

by Stephen Smith on Sep 11, 2008 at 10:59:21 am
[Chris Bové ] A picture says 1000 words. Editors give them meaning.
That is awesome, where did the quote come from?

It's mine.

About eight years ago, I had a very self-inflated videographer in my edit bay. We were "politely discussing" why certain shots didn't make it into the final edited piece. He gave me about five or six minutes worth of monologue, to which he finished with "...because a picture says 1000 words."

With a smirk I threw my index finger in the air and said "...but editors give them meaning."

He actually started demanding me as his editor after that. Funny how conflicts change minds.

______
/-o-o-
`(=)`/...Pixel Monkey
`(___)

A picture says 1000 words. Editors give them meaning.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Sep 12, 2008 at 3:10:15 pm

Genius! I love that thought.

Stephen Smith
Salt Lake Video

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

mark harveyRe: The Star Wipe
by on Sep 18, 2008 at 1:59:37 pm

I had a client recently asked me if I could explode his logo at the end of a classy piece...he was amused when I said I can, but I won't...I then went onto to explain the cheese factor and he was cool with my decision.

I have also turned down contracts when clients have asked me if I can do cheesy 3d transitions à la HollywoodFX (Pinnacle product)...I explain that as a professional I do not feel comfortable in giving my clients this type of product....and I also do not feel comfortable putting my name on it...luckily the contracts are extra work beside my day job, so I have this luxury.

Regards

mark

Mark Harvey
Senior Editor
Le R

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 30, 2008 at 1:24:43 am

[mark harvey] "and I also do not feel comfortable putting my name on it..."

I don't remember how many slates I didn't put my name on, or how many lables didn't have a facility logo.
Sometimes ya gotta do the job even if the client wants something you are against, ya just don't say who did it.

Charlie

Flamingo Las Vegas Hotel
Las Vegas, Nevada

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy