Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

AJA Ki Pro vs. Nano Flash... Pros and cons?

COW Forums : AJA Ki Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Randy BurlesonAJA Ki Pro vs. Nano Flash... Pros and cons?
by on Apr 29, 2010 at 8:51:50 pm

We are considering buying the Sony EX3 cameras and adding a device like the Nano Flash or the AJA Ki Pro. I like the idea of using the CF Cards in the Nano Flash but the HD in Ki Pro is cheaper per GB of storage unless you go with the solid state modules of course.
The Ki Pro records directly to Pro Res which is great for our workflow since we edit on FCP.
However it is a little bigger and bulkier and may take a little longer to set up.
I'm kind of torn here.
Any recommendations? Any gotchas that I should be aware of? Long record times are important.
Sometimes we shoot for over an hour straight no stopping. Seminars, Classes etc...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy GarchowRe: AJA Ki Pro vs. Nano Flash... Pros and cons?
by on Apr 30, 2010 at 2:18:42 pm

I can answer this in more detail later, but in terms of quality, the kipro will be much better. If you are not in a run and gun situation, I don't see how the nano flash would be any better.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

gary adcockRe: AJA Ki Pro vs. Nano Flash... Pros and cons?
by on Apr 30, 2010 at 4:21:00 pm

OK

Up front Disclaimer: I consult for both Sony and AJA, I even demo'd during the KiPro launch tour , but it is not the only DDR I use.

Nano flash is smaller/ lighter/ less expensive
it only captures content as Mpeg.
FCP does not edit Mpeg easily
It only captures 8 bit, even though most cameras output 10bit over HDSDI.
No component,
No Up Down or Cross Conversions
No remote functionality.
FCP does not like the high bandwidth mpeg flavors

KiPro is larger more complicated
Shoots only Apple ProRes
Always records 10bit prores
Component, HDMI, HDSDI
remote control and setup
Soon to have RS422 Serial Control
Soon to have Gang Record functions (trucks or Stereo)

The KiPro costs more because it does more, with the upcoming software updates you should be able to use it as a recorder and a deck too....

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

Alex DesrialRe: AJA Ki Pro vs. Nano Flash... Pros and cons?
by on Apr 30, 2010 at 5:23:02 pm

Hi Randy,

As you are not dealing as ENG , and you don't need to climb the tree or run 10 Km/ H with your cam, i think KiPro is the best match to your EX3 . The job you describe is not heavy for kipro yet. We did the 8 days shooting night and days, with rain effect , moving location, shoot in moving sedan car, The KiPro is always OK.

Moreover..you use FCP, you will enjoy the proress workflow with kipro.

Only a small suggestion, having more storage modules instead of one , will help you to work faster. One storage module is being recorded, another one is being editing/copied.

Alex Desrial
MediaIntegra - Jakarta

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

Michael PalmerRe: AJA Ki Pro vs. Nano Flash... Pros and cons?
by on May 11, 2010 at 9:12:57 pm

I use the EX3 together with the Nano flash and it is IMO the best way to go. If you want HD cam quality from a 8K camera and don't want to cart around a large external hard drive recorder like the Ki-Pro, get the Nano flash. I know this product very well and it is simply the best solution on the market for field recording.

Michael Palmer

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

gerardo CamposRe: AJA Ki Pro vs. Nano Flash... Pros and cons?
by on May 1, 2011 at 12:16:11 am

you must remember that Nanoflash record in quick time or mxf, I-frame only or Longop mpeg; so you can use it in mac and pc world without problems; you can recrod SD or HD and use it as an HDSDI to HDMI converter, and for 3D shoting too. I guess in the mac world Ki-Pro work easier, but you are not all the time in mac world, some times you will have some client that need the material in other formats for pc, then Ki-Pro is almost out, but Nanoflash can play in both wolrds. (sorry for my bad englesh). http://www.gecofilms.cl

Gerardo Campos
http://www.gecoproducciones.cl

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Randy BurlesonRe: AJA Ki Pro vs. Nano Flash... Pros and cons?
by on May 9, 2011 at 2:49:04 pm

Wow... now there are other options to consider....
1. Black Magic Design Hyper Deck Shuttle
2. ATOMOS Samurai
3. FFV Sidekick

So many good options now.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]