Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

AJA KI pro vs sound devices 744T as audio recorder

COW Forums : AJA Ki Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Craig AlanAJA KI pro vs sound devices 744T as audio recorder
by on Mar 9, 2012 at 10:00:43 pm

Thinking of ordering SD 744 T.

Currently recording audio to AJA Ki Pro:

However, I am not crazy about Ki Pro's metering and headphone output which needs to be RTNed to our mixer. When I switch between RTN and stereo on the headphone switch on our SD 302s you can hear this huge change in the quality of sound and do not think this is the actual quality being recorded.

And I'd like a high end recorder to teach double system recording and for music recording, room tone, ambient sound, wild sound, buzz track etc .

Questions:
1. How much difference will the actual recorded sound quality be between these two recorders (Ki Pro vs 744T)?

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Will SalleyRe: AJA KI pro vs sound devices 744T as audio recorder
by on Mar 10, 2012 at 6:43:51 am

In my opinion, the pre-amps on the 744T are far superior to the Ki Pro. The monitoring circuit is also better. I do use both of them together when I need six channels of audio (which is rare).

While it does what it's supposed to do, the Ki Pro leaves a lot to be desired in terms of features.

Mac Pro 2x2.8 Quadcore - 10.6.3 - QT 7.6.3 - 22 GB RAM - nvidia8800GT - SATA internal & external storage - Blackmagic Multibridge Pro - Open GL 1.5.10 - Wacom Intous2 tablet - AJA io
SONY XDCAM EX3 - Letus Elite - FC7.0.2 - CS4 Prod Prem.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Craig AlanRe: AJA KI pro vs sound devices 744T as audio recorder
by on Mar 10, 2012 at 8:07:17 am

Thanks Will. We use SD field mixers when using the Ki Pro and I agree with both your comments. I find the recorded audio on the Ki Pro much better than what I hear through its own headphone output. But will the 744T record better quality or just add extra channels and better features?

Here's a more complete description of my concerns:

Am not crazy about Ki Pro's metering and headphone output which needs to be RTNed to our mixer. When I switch between RTN and stereo on the headphone switch on our SD 302s you can hear this huge change in the quality of sound.

I'd like a high end recorder to teach double system recording and for music recording, room tone, ambient sound, wild sound, buzz track etc .

Questions:
1. How much difference will the actual recorded sound quality be between these two recorders (Ki Pro vs 744T)?

2. How do I learn what settings to use on the 744T to be able to keep our audio in sync with different frame rates and settings in our cams. We are using Canon HV40s, Sony z7us and Panasonic AG-HPX170 P2HD and PANASONIC AG-HPX250 P2 camcorders. The Sony and Pana cams have a huge variety of choices. However I like to use the Ki Pro (Pro Res 422) for higher end productions and our FLY pack records to Ki Pro as well. (The fly pack uses a mackie mixer). I assume that more cams and codecs will be added in the future while our mixers and recorders will still be around.

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

gary adcockRe: AJA KI pro vs sound devices 744T as audio recorder
by on Mar 12, 2012 at 10:47:13 am

[Will Salley] "In my opinion, the pre-amps on the 744T are far superior to the Ki Pro."

They should be.

The 744 is an 4 track Audio Recorder, the KiPro Mini was designed as a Video Recorder, I believe that the 2 devices are not intended for the same market or user base. Audio devices allow users to add markers, set or Gen TC and with 4 inputs the ablitiy to live mix audio.

the KiPro Mini it is designed as a oncamera video recorder so it allows 2 analog audio inputs, up to 8 over HDSDI when recording into ProRes.

The question is are you recording Audio or Video- only the Mini does both.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

follow me on Twitter
@garyadcock

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 12, 2012 at 4:07:30 pm

Hi Gary,
I get the feature set. My question is - for the two channels recorded by the Ki Pro (not mini) will the audio quality be as good as the 744T?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 12, 2012 at 9:53:10 pm

Ok I called Sound Devices and they felt that if I am using my 302 mixer for the mike preamp I wouldn't hear much difference, if any. without the mixer ... yes. Feature wise ... yes. Trouble shooting ... yes.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

gary adcockRe: AJA KI pro vs sound devices 744T as audio recorder
by on Mar 13, 2012 at 2:07:11 pm

[Craig Alan] " My question is - for the two channels recorded by the Ki Pro (not mini) will the audio quality be as good as the 744T?"

The SD 744T offers options for audio recording that allow for varied bit depth (up to 96k if I remember correctly)

The KiPro does not- all audio only recordings are still captured as 24bit in a ProRes Video container, it cannot record audio as a solo file.

I am glad that the SD guys were able to answer the PreAmp question for you- that is out of my expertise.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

follow me on Twitter
@garyadcock

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Will SalleyRe: AJA KI pro vs sound devices 744T as audio recorder
by on Mar 23, 2012 at 11:22:28 pm

[Craig Alan] "will the audio quality be as good as the 744T?"

Short, and very delayed answer, NO.

I have both of these devices and use them regularly. The SD 744 has superior pre-amps that are much quieter and have more headroom. That, as Gary pointed out, is because the 744 is designed from the ground up to be an audio recorder. On the Ki Pro, audio is secondary to the video capability.

IS the difference enough to justify the cost? Depends on your intended use.

• • • • • •

Mac Pro 2x2.8 Quadcore - 10.6.8 - 22 GB RAM - nvidia8800GT - SATA internal & external storage - Blackmagic Multibridge Pro - Open GL 1.5.10 - Wacom Intous2 tablet - AJA io
SONY XDCAM EX3 - Letus Elite - FC7.0.2 - CS4 Prod Prem.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]