Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Ki Pro Playback From Transfered Video

COW Forums : AJA Ki Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Jason CalhounKi Pro Playback From Transfered Video
by on Mar 9, 2011 at 7:45:32 pm

This should be fairly simple, I think I'm just missing something. We are capturing an event onto our Ki pro via SDI. I am them taking that pro res video from the Ki pro, into final cut, making a couple quick edits, then trying to drop it back onto the Ki Pro for playback. The edited video plays without any issue, however the audio is just static. I know I have to output dual mono instead of stereo, but am still having the audio issue. Thanks.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy GarchowRe: Ki Pro Playback From Transfered Video
by on Mar 9, 2011 at 9:38:33 pm

Timeline 24 bit v 16 bit?

Are you sure you set it up as dual mono and assigned each track accordingly?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jason CalhounRe: Ki Pro Playback From Transfered Video
by on Mar 9, 2011 at 11:24:05 pm

24bit timeline. I'm pretty sure everything is set correctly regarding dual mono, but I must be missing something is all I can figure.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 9, 2011 at 11:29:25 pm

[Jason Calhoun] "I'm pretty sure everything is set correctly regarding dual mono, but I must be missing something is all I can figure.
"

You physically set the timeline in the audio settings or sis you just split the tracks dual mono?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 10, 2011 at 12:07:09 am

I changed the sequence audio grouping settings from stereo to dual mono

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 10, 2011 at 3:43:24 am

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but I'm not sure if we are understanding each other, sorry if I'm being unclear and about my typos. I move too fast sometimes.

Hit command-zero and click the audio outputs tab and click dual mono and ok. Pic:

Go back to your sequence and right click by the auto select boxes and choose the output channel 1 or 2 for each track. Then export a self contained and load on to Ki Pro. Pic:

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Don GreeningRe: Ki Pro Playback From Transfered Video
by on Mar 10, 2011 at 4:24:31 pm

{english accent} "It's not dead, it's just sleeping."

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 10, 2011 at 5:11:26 pm

Thanks Jeremy,

I have the audio outputs set properly, I'll check my output channel, maybe that's the issue. Thanks.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 10, 2011 at 5:31:54 pm

Bummer, I checked everything, all setting are correct but still get the nasty audio. Clip plays great on my mac, but not in the Ki Pro. Maybe a timecode issue?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Brendan QuaifeRe: Ki Pro Playback From Transfered Video
by on Mar 10, 2011 at 6:31:06 pm

HI Jason

I had the same thing when we were preparing for a live to air broadcast last week. We were using one of the Ki-Pros as playback deck.

It seems they are ultra fussy when it comes to audio.

I found this answer somewhere else in this forum (I think).

You have to export the clip.

File--Export Using Quicktime conversion.

Select Pro-Res as your video codec. Select your clip size (this is important).

Under Audio settings, select 24bit and here is the biggest thing. CHECK the 'little endian' box.

For some reason this endian thing is not available in FCP's timeline and that seems to be what the Ki Pro needs.

Hope that helps

Brendan

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 10, 2011 at 6:43:08 pm

What firmware are you guys running?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

AJA Sales DepartmentRe: Ki Pro Playback From Transfered Video
by on Mar 10, 2011 at 7:30:57 pm

Jason, Jeremy and Brendan,
In order to help clarify the creation of QuickTime files with appropriate audio for use with Ki Pro, here are some basic guidelines for your consideration.

For the Final Cut Pro Sequence Settings, and within the General tab, the Audio Settings should be configured for:
Rate: 48 kHz
Depth: 24-bit
Config: Channel Grouped

For the Sequence Settings, and within the Audio Outputs tab, the Grouping should be set for Dual Mono.

For a QuickTime Movie output, select the Sequence with the in to out points, and then select File>Export>QuickTime Movie. The Save prompt will appear and it should be noted that the default is for the Setting selection to be Current Settings, Include Audio and Video and Make Movie Self-Contained with the checkbox selected. Select OK to save the file. Remember that to be visible to the AJA Ki Pro, an Apple ProRes 422 QuickTime file needs to be placed within the Ki Pro folder named "AJA."

Using this method should produce a valid QuickTime movie file for use with the Ki Pro if the Sequence Settings are also appropriately configured. Remember that in addition to the audio settings noted, the video needs to be acceptable full-raster Apple ProRes 422 (Proxy), Apple ProRes 422 (LT), Apple ProRes 422 or Apple ProRes 422 (HQ).

Another QuickTime Movie output option from Final Cut Pro is to select the appropriate Sequence with in to out points, and then select File>Export>Using QuickTime Conversion.

When the prompt appears, the QuickTime Movie should be selected for Format. Click on the Options… button to configure. For the Video portion, select Settings…

Choose the appropriate Compression Type - Apple ProRes 422 (Proxy), Apple ProRes 422 (LT), Apple ProRes 422 or Apple ProRes 422 (HQ).

In the Motion area, set the frame rate to what is appropriate for your movie, such as 29.97 fps.

In the Compressor, if the material is interlaced (such as 1080i or SD), select the Interlaced checkbox. If you are in a 60Hz region, HD interlaced material will be Top field first for the pulldown selection and SD interlaced material will be Bottom field first. You can select OK for this section and move on to Size… from the Video settings.

Size is determined by your Sequence material and the Size selections provide pre-determined selections for NTSC, PAL and HD raster sizes within the list. Select the one that is appropriate for your material. You can select OK and move on to Sound settings.

Sound Settings should be as follows:
Format: Linear PCM
Channels: Stereo (L R) or 2 Discrete Channels (either is acceptable)
Rate: 48.000 kHz
Render Settings: Best
Linear PCM Settings, Sample size: 24 bits, Little Endian checkbox selected.
Once these selections are made, hit OK.

Hit OK once again in the Movie Settings prompt. You should be returned to the Save window. Save to the desired location. Again, remember that to be visible to the AJA Ki Pro, an Apple ProRes 422 QuickTime file needs to be placed in the Ki Pro folder named "AJA."

If you need any assistance with this or any other matter, AJA Technical Support will be happy to help. You can contact them free of charge via email or phone.

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Elliott BalsleyRe: Ki Pro Playback From Transfered Video
by on Dec 7, 2012 at 9:09:15 pm

Much thanks to Aja for posting those detailed instructions. I couldn't find that info anywhere else. Another thing that I learned is to pay close attention to the KiPro supported formats in the manual. For example, I nearly went mad before realizing it can't play 1280x720 at 30fps. So I had to upres my clips to 1080 and then it worked.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark RuleRe: Ki Pro Playback From Transfered Video
by on Mar 11, 2011 at 7:12:01 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "What firmware are you guys running?"

Firmware is 2.0.0.125

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter