Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Ki Pro via Avid AMA in MEdia composer for cut

COW Forums : AJA Ki Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
aaron shadwellKi Pro via Avid AMA in MEdia composer for cut
by on Jan 14, 2011 at 10:51:27 pm

hey all

specking out a job..

Looking At capture to Aja KiPro for edit via AMA in MC5. Yes I know FCP would be great for obvious reasons , but lets set that a side for a min.
It's an episodic TV thing and the director wants to be lean and mean. Ive already got MC5.

I'm sure I cant be the first guy to think of this work flow- anybody do it?

the camera is a Sony XD cam.

Would XD cam footage perform better via AMA that ProRes?

I tried AMA on DLSR/P2 footage and my computer told me to go to hell- then again this current computer only a 4 core PC.....HAHA!!!shot me please!

I'll be running MC5 on an 8core Mac 3.0 ghz.

Don't know the video card yet or media drive specs.

thanks for reading!
this site rules !
lets make pictures!

Best, Aaron

thanks for reading!!!
check out my rock band

shadwellmusic.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy GarchowRe: Ki Pro via Avid AMA in MEdia composer for cut
by on Jan 15, 2011 at 1:25:35 am

ProRes does work via AMA, but I don't have enough experience with MC5 to tell you if a whole series is going to be flawless.

The KiPro is totally awesome, though. :)

Jeremy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

gary adcockRe: Ki Pro via Avid AMA in MEdia composer for cut
by on Jan 16, 2011 at 5:30:09 pm

[aaron shadwell] "Would XD cam footage perform better via AMA that ProRes? "

The Xdcam format is designed to work seamlessly in the avid workflow, ProRes is another matter, so yes the native Sony MXF files would be handled better/ easier/ faster by the AMA engine

Yes, MC5 and the AMA will correctly handle the PR files, but any effects, graphics or corrections will be rendered to DNX (AMA defaults to 8bit DNX even from higher bit depth sources)

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bill RavensRe: Ki Pro via Avid AMA in MEdia composer for cut
by on Jan 17, 2011 at 12:41:14 pm

Hi Gary,

Could you please explain more about your statement that "(AMA defaults to 8bit DNX even from higher bit depth source}". My experience and understanding is that AMA is handled in its native form. When importing an AMA, or doing at video mixdown, you are presented with the option of choosing the DNxHD bitrate aand bitdepth.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 17, 2011 at 2:10:15 pm

[Bill Ravens] "Could you please explain more about your statement that "(AMA defaults to 8bit DNX even from higher bit depth source}""

ProRes is 10bit (or better) by default for all 5 flavors, DnxHD only has 2-10bit variants and in my experience I have not ever seen an avid editing system default during a file conversion\ to anything other than an 8 bit variation of DNX without having to force the issue.

I think that staying with the MXF workflow from XDcam is more convenient on Avids if there is no need for 10bit for color correction or greenscreen, Since the XdcamHDs are mostly used in the "news" or "doc" style shooting there is usually no glaring need for the 10bit output.

gary adcock
Studio37

Chicago, IL

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bill RavensRe: Ki Pro via Avid AMA in MEdia composer for cut
by on Jan 17, 2011 at 2:14:19 pm

Thanx for replying, Gary. Yes, i would agree about the default values. However, my point is, that you CAN force 10-bit if you need it. I do this a lot with 10-bit Cineform Intermediates.
In fact, Media Composer is one of the few NLE's that currently allow a 10-bit workflow. I beleive Edius v6 can do this , as well.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 17, 2011 at 2:34:43 pm

[Bill Ravens] " i would agree about the default values. However, my point is, that you CAN force 10-bit if you need it."

Never in dispute, as I said it was the default. As for the 10bit workflow, that is pretty standard as long as you do not render when working with the original media, or you do not work with realtime effects, since the RTX engine in FCP and RT playback on MC Avids are limited to 8bit the second you add any effects or corrections, this is a function of realtime playback not really needing to be at a higher bit depth to maintain editing speed and functionality.

FCP can do 10bit also, just turn off any RT functions.

gary adcock
Studio37

Chicago, IL

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy GarchowRe: Ki Pro via Avid AMA in MEdia composer for cut
by on Jan 17, 2011 at 3:24:36 pm

"FCP can do 10bit also, just turn off any RT functions."

Or render the timeline fully before playback.

Gary, it seems you are talking about unrendered 'real time' effects.

Rendered effects in a 10bit timeline are played back 10bit in FCP or avid if setup to do so.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]