Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Video: EditFest NY 2010 "Cutting Yourself Out of a Corner" Part I - Thelma Schoonmaker

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Josh ApterVideo: EditFest NY 2010 "Cutting Yourself Out of a Corner" Part I - Thelma Schoonmaker
by on Sep 29, 2010 at 9:57:23 am

EditFest NY 2010 "Cutting Yourself Out of a Corner" Part I - Thelma SchoonmakerEditFest NY 2010 "Cutting Yourself Out of a Corner" Part I - Thelma Schoonm...

Thelma Schoonmaker discusses her experiences in editing an improvisational scene from "Raging Bull" at EditFest NY 2010. For more information go to editfestny.com.
watch

instructional

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+35

David Roth WeissRe: Video: EditFest NY 2010 "Cutting Yourself Out of a Corner" Part IV - Thelma Schoonmaker
by on Sep 30, 2010 at 10:25:24 am

Nice piece... Thanks for sharing.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark SuszkoRe: EditFest NY 2010 "Cutting Yourself Out of a Corner" Part IV - Thelma Schoonmaker
by on Sep 30, 2010 at 1:51:45 pm

Thelma is a genius, but I don't have to tell you that.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Trig SimonRe: EditFest NY 2010 "Cutting Yourself Out of a Corner" Part I - Thelma Schoonmaker
by on Oct 6, 2010 at 11:50:52 am

Josh, good coverage of the fest. I liked her expression of reality in editing. There isn't much out there to watch editors talk about the difficulties. Wish I could find more.

A great editor's work looks like it was easy. If it flows correctly, without thinking about the edits, they have done a great job.

Trig Simon
Video Images

Trig Simon
Video Images by Trig
832 Main
Toledo OH 43605
419-693-0872
http://www.videoimagesbytrig.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Trig SimonRe: EditFest NY 2010 "Cutting Yourself Out of a Corner" Part I - Thelma Schoonmaker
by on Oct 14, 2010 at 2:39:26 pm

I would certainly love to see more forums on editing feature films. My true belief is that anyone experienced enough doesn't have the time to read forums.

And, anyone on forums are not experienced enough to reflect the workflow of large feature films.

I hope I am wrong on both accounts, and would appreciate a link to editing forums.

In particular, the workflow that I am interested in is the link between producer, writer, director and editor. Do all 'large movie houses' use the same template, or does the director or producer have their own workflow that they insist upon.

Thank you,
Trig Simon
Editor for Glass City Films, LLC
Video Images by Trig
832 Main Street
Toledo OH 43605
419-693-0872
apple@bex.net
http://www.videoimagesbytrig.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Randi HimelfarbRe: EditFest NY 2010 "Cutting Yourself Out of a Corner" Part I - Thelma Schoonmaker
by on Oct 15, 2010 at 9:20:36 pm

Thank you. Thank you.

Randi Himelfarb
http://www.HimelfarbFilms.com
r.himelfarb@gmail.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John LaRueRe: EditFest NY 2010 "Cutting Yourself Out of a Corner" Part I - Thelma Schoonmaker
by on Oct 16, 2010 at 2:02:29 am

I bet I could listen to Thelma for weeks. I'm going to
see if she has a book out.
Thanks for this.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

alberto moreiraRe: EditFest NY 2010 "Cutting Yourself Out of a Corner" Part I - Thelma Schoonmaker
by on Oct 22, 2010 at 8:02:30 pm

Great to hear the challenges that editors overcome, especially experienced and well known in their craft. Please continue to post videos of seasoned professionals discussing their experiences in the creative process.
Alberto Moreira
Creative Moments Media

alberto moreira

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

aaron shadwellRe: EditFest NY 2010 "Cutting Yourself Out of a Corner" Part I - Thelma Schoonmaker
by on Oct 26, 2010 at 12:24:12 am

THIS RULES....MORE PLEASE.

Shes cool!

thanks for reading!!!
check out my rock band

shadwellmusic.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

James SmithRe: EditFest NY 2010 "Cutting Yourself Out of a Corner" Part I - Thelma Schoonmaker
by on Aug 28, 2011 at 2:44:34 pm

Wow, that scenes flows so well, you'd have never imagined the difficulty the editor had with it. Thelma definately rules! I have to wonder if panels like this will be possible in the future, I look at many recent films and I have to say I don't like the new style of editing, I know it's a trend, but I'm of the school that you should never be aware of the editor at work. I wish I lot of these editors would listen to and look at the work done by some of these masters of their craft.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Albert OConnorRe: EditFest NY 2010 "Cutting Yourself Out of a Corner" Part I - Thelma Schoonmaker
by on Nov 1, 2011 at 8:16:42 pm

I realize not all movies are meant to have such scenes as this one in Raging Bull, but it's great to hear from the editor who cut it and hear a smidgeon of what she went through to create it. Thelma is certainly unparalleled in her skill to take four hours of footage of mis-matched action and improvised dialogue and create a dramatically cohesive scene; in many ways SHE directed that scene through her editing skill.

Bert OConnor
FCPCE, Avid Cert. Editor
Orlando, Florida

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]