Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

XDCAM 720p Clips "Not Supported" in XDCAM Transfer App

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Bill ParisXDCAM 720p Clips "Not Supported" in XDCAM Transfer App
by on Feb 24, 2011 at 5:04:42 am

I shot footage with a Sony PMW-500 in the XDCAM 422 50 mps mode at 720p 30(29.97) over 60(59.94) overcranked to get slo mo footage. The problem I'm having is XDCAM transfer program (ver 2.12.0) is telling me the footage is "Un Supported" and the "Import" function is greyed out. Footage from the same drive shot in 422 50mbs at 1920X1080 29.97 is working fine. I've also tried going through FCP (ver. 7.03) without success.... any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Bill Paris
Producer/Director of Photography
Crew Hawaii Television
http://www.crewhawaii.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bill ParisRe: XDCAM 720p Clips "Not Supported" in XDCAM Transfer App
by on Feb 24, 2011 at 5:43:02 pm

Sorry .... I posted the wrong frame rates .... I shot 60 over 30 for the slow-mo. Also, the XDCAM transfer program stated "Unsupported Codec". I did some checking after leaving the office and discovered the most recent Apple Pro App Update includes support for XDCAM 422 720p footage ..... when I get to the office I'll try the up-date and report what I find.

Thanks!

Bill Paris
Crew Hawaii Television

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ian CookRe: XDCAM 720p Clips "Not Supported" in XDCAM Transfer App
by on Feb 24, 2011 at 6:07:29 pm

I have this update installed already and as I mentioned in the previous post the codecs are present in FCP but Transfer still does not allow import. I can only import using XDCAM Browser. Please let me know if you get the same result after applying the update.

Thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 24, 2011 at 6:03:42 pm

Hi Bill,

Short answer: For the time being you'll need to use XDCAM Browser 1.1 to import these clips.

Long-ish answer: My first reaction to this post was "ah, of course, the 720 24 and 30p codecs did not exist in the optical XDCAM world prior to the 500, so we're going to have to use XDCAM Browser as Transfer is E.O.L..." I checked on my system here and saw the same problem. But I did some digging and found that these newer codecs are in fact supposed to have support in Transfer 2.12. What's strange is that the codec support comes from Apple, and when I import 720 30 or 720 24 into FCP using Browser, the video is fine and the correct codecs are listed for the clips. Based on this, I would not expect to see the 'no codec' warnings in XDT. (Even if I go into the prefs and enable "import clips with no codec present" the clips are not import-able.)

I will have to check with our development group on this; in the meantime you can use XDCAM browser, which I've linked below. Apologies for the confusion.

https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.com/sony-software-model-XDB1.aspx

Will let you know as soon as I confirm the support level in Transfer for the 720 30/24p codecs..

Best,

Ian

Ian Cook
Sony Broadcast and Professional Company

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 24, 2011 at 9:11:11 pm

Ian,
Thanks for your response...... I'm heading to the office shortly and will let you know what I discover.

Thanks!

Bill Paris
Crew Hawaii Television

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 24, 2011 at 10:34:12 pm

Ian,

It turns out my edit system is updates with the latest upgrade from apple..... I downloaded the Browser ver. 1.1 but I'm a little confused about how to use the browser to export the files into FCP. I don't see any option to send the files to FCP. Any advice?

Thanks!

Bill Paris
Crew Hawaii Television

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 24, 2011 at 11:06:54 pm

You have to be running FCP, then select import-->sony xdcam browser. this opens the browser in plugin mode. highlight your clips and use the "register for FCP" button or File Menu/Right Click-->register for FCP

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bill ParisRe: XDCAM 720p Clips
by on Feb 24, 2011 at 11:47:52 pm

Ian,

Thank you.... yes that's working like a charm. By the way... love the PMW-500 Camera. If you could pass on a couple of requests for the firmware upgrade.
1. Assignable Switch option to switch between zebra setting 1 and 2.
I use 70% zebras for skin and 100% for general shooting. It would be great to switch between the two on the fly.
2. Assignable Switch option to record "Slow/Quick". Sometime you just want a quick shot in slo-mo.... if the camera is set up properly it would be great to switch into slo-mo quickly via a Assignable Switch.
3. Any way to get the histogram working via the HDVF20a Viewfinder or does that feature only work with the new multi-pin port(like the one on the PMW-350)? Sorry to use this thread for camera details, but I thought while I had your ear I would pass those thoughts along.

Thanks again!

Bill Paris
Crew Hawaii Television

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy