Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Best Video Compression for Wirecast 4.0

COW Forums : Telestream Wirecast

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Bob O'HearnBest Video Compression for Wirecast 4.0
by on Dec 3, 2010 at 6:38:42 pm

I am using Wirecast 4.0 and Livestream as my CDN. Everything that I push out live is working well but I can't get my videos to play back without breaking up. I don't think Livestream is the problem. Can anyone tell me the best codec to use. The Wirecast help document seems to favor quicktime and even DivX but I have had no luck getting anything to play correctly.I put an old MPEG-1 in and it plays fine but without the sound.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob O'HearnRe: Best Video Compression for Wirecast 4.0
by on Dec 3, 2010 at 7:05:55 pm

Just got off the phone with Telestream. They have no idea what the optimal format is for playing video on Wirecast 4.0. Quicktime was as close as they could get. The tech said to find a quicktime movie that plays back smoothly and use those specs. No help at all. Couldn't believe it. I said, "don't you guys have a setting in Episode that would be optimal? He said no, I would have to figure that out my self. I need a nap.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Craig SeemanRe: Best Video Compression for Wirecast 4.0
by on Dec 3, 2010 at 7:35:38 pm

I frame codecs are better than GOP based files. Frame size should be close to your streaming frame size. All this minimizes resources need to decode and scale the image. Apple ProRes, AIC, even Photo JPEG should work well. Your ability to decode and play files are really dependent on your computer. What plays well on a MacPro might struggle on a MacBook. That's why there's no "best."

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 3, 2010 at 9:49:52 pm

Thanks Craig,

So for example, I'm coming off a Prores 422 FCP timeline with a four minute clip I wanted to Wirecast. I've tried different flavors of MP4 and quicktime and not having any luck. How would you proceed?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 3, 2010 at 11:20:33 pm

Use ProRes. Frame size counts too though. You may still need to scale the file down to your streaming target resolution. If you're streaming at 640x360 you'd ideally want a ProRes file at 640x260,

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 5, 2010 at 9:16:03 pm

Craig,

Did you mean ProRes 640 by 360?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 5, 2010 at 9:38:47 pm

[Bob O'Hearn] "Did you mean ProRes 640 by 360?"

Yes, customize the frame size. Of course 720x486 might be fine if you want a source that can have other purposes. Ultimately the less work the CPU/GPU has to do decoding the file, the better the playback will be. A beefy MacPro can certainly handle H.264 files but you may make a MacBook cry if you're trying to play an H.264 1920x1080 file in a 640x360 stream.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 5, 2010 at 9:51:25 pm

I'm having a lost weekend. Love your cat by the way. Looks like he kinda runs the place:) I'm using Mac Pro to a Macbook pro and trying all kinds of things. So I can use H264? Right now I'm making a ProRes 320 by 180 and hoping for the best. I will be using the Wirecaster to highlight my video work with clients and it's really giving me a run for my money. Some of the clips just stop on the last frame and some loop.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 5, 2010 at 11:02:17 pm

[Bob O'Hearn] "Love your cat by the way. Looks like he kinda runs the place:)"

He's the boss.

[Bob O'Hearn] "So I can use H264?"

There are no absolute answers. You have to test on your system. It depends on the frame size and date rate of the file and what else is going on on your system. MacPro should be OK but the only answer is "it depends . . ."

[Bob O'Hearn] "Some of the clips just stop on the last frame and some loop."

Check your Playback settings. That's controllable in Wirecast. Read that section of the manual.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 6, 2010 at 10:44:13 pm

Craig,

Nailed it! Made an AIC @ 640 x 360 29.997 and works great. Thanks for your help and patience.

Bob

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 6, 2010 at 10:56:42 pm

Thanks. It's a good trick for solid playback.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John HortonRe: Best Video Compression for Wirecast 4.0
by on Jan 30, 2011 at 8:12:37 pm

Having the same issues with my video playback, can you explain to me what format AIC is?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 31, 2011 at 12:17:29 am

AIC = Apple Intermediate Codec. Comes with all Macs. Compatible with both iMovie and Final Cut Pro although if you have the latter you can use Apple ProRes.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

ronaldo serafimRe: Best Video Compression for Wirecast 4.0
by on Feb 3, 2011 at 1:29:49 am

Hi Bob
I dont know if your question has been answered.
We are doing a live stream to Justin TV, using Wirecast Pro, and we almost lost all our hair, trying to get it done right. Well, the good news is, we did. look for miltontodaytv (all together) on justin tv and you can see the quality we got. Believe me. We are doing everything with h264 using a hi-res of 1280x720 and it works perfect. If you didnt get there yet, e-mail me and I will be happy to give you some help.
Ronaldo
the site is miltontodaytv.com on the up corner you will be able to see a watch now button.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John MortonRe: Best Video Compression for Wirecast 4.0
by on May 18, 2011 at 4:56:48 pm

This is all really helpful Ronaldo.
We are looking at improving our website with 'live' streaming at:
http://www.sotogrande-television.com
How do I contact you by email for some advice?
John

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]