Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Foolish to buy and set up Final Cut Server now?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Server

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Jason DjangFoolish to buy and set up Final Cut Server now?
by on Jun 11, 2012 at 10:46:42 pm

We're in the midst of a large project with five FCP7 workstations and are in desperate need of good asset management. How foolish would it be to track down a used/old copy of Server and start using it now? We're not going to upgrade our workstations to FCPX, so compatibility shouldn't be an issue. It's just strange to think about buying discontinued software.

What red flags am I missing?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Juan SalvoRe: Foolish to buy and set up Final Cut Server now?
by on Jun 12, 2012 at 12:41:40 am

It still works, not foolish at all. Would consider catdv first.

Online Editor | Colorist | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Colin KelleyRe: Foolish to buy and set up Final Cut Server now?
by on Jun 25, 2012 at 8:15:15 pm

Just don't try and use FCSvr with AD and Snow Leopard. This probably won't be a problem for you - but it's a BIG problem for us educational media types. Too bad, because Final Cut Server was very, very good to us while it lasted.

- colin.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jason DjangRe: Foolish to buy and set up Final Cut Server now?
by on Jun 25, 2012 at 11:13:38 pm

AD?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Matt JamesRe: Foolish to buy and set up Final Cut Server now?
by on Jul 7, 2012 at 4:24:14 am

I believe he means Active Directory. It is the authentication system that Windows uses. Mac's use OD or Open Directory. It is what FCServer uses to log users in, check projects in&out and prioritize permissions throughout FCServers devices and metadata. I still use FCServer every day and it is important to our daily production and automations. The thing about FCServer is that it can do literally anything you want. So the first thing you need to do is tell us what your needs are. From there we can figure out how FCServer can help.

Matt James
Freelance FCP Editor / Organizer
XSAN / FCServer Admin
Denver, CO

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 7, 2012 at 5:18:00 am

Basically we have 5 workstations needing to share footage, audio (sound fx, music), and photos every day. Would like to perform keyword searches from any workstation to find and edit with media.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Matt JamesRe: Foolish to buy and set up Final Cut Server now?
by on Jul 7, 2012 at 5:41:09 am

Wow! Sounds like you need to implement a full Xsan system, and then put FCServer in place for asset management. If you want to do it right, you'll have to spend a lot of money. Here is a rough idea of what you'll need.

Raid 5 or 6 Storage array via Fibre (how many terabytes is up to you)
Metadata Controller server and Backup MDC server
Fibre switch (can be $100,00.00 by itself)
Fibre connections to all 5 workstations, MDC's, Storage and Switch
FCServer server machine

All of the above is for real-world post production where all 5 edit suites can be working on the same material at the exact same time, in real time, with no delay or speed issues. This full system will probably run you about $300,000.00-$500,000.00 on average, depending on the speed and size of storage you need. Of course if speed is not an issue, you can just get a large NAS (network attached storage) drive that all 5 edit suites can connect to on the same ethernet network. If this is more your angle, I recommend working in ProRes Proxy or LT in an offline/online situation, then finish all sequences in full-res ProRes on a single system that doesn't have to share over the network.

FCServer catalogs all your assets with your own metadata and can control automations in your existing shared xsan system. Xsan is what you need to have all 5 work stations connected and share media together. Does this make sense?

Matt James
Freelance FCP Editor / Organizer
XSAN / FCServer Admin
Denver, CO

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 7, 2012 at 2:38:14 pm

Well, I should add that we're a non-profit campaign that's only going to last about a year. So we need to minimize infrastructure. We're already on a server via etherne switcht. We rarely would be working on the same media files at the same time, so it's been manageable. Looking for something to hold us over for a year.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alan DarganRe: Foolish to buy and set up Final Cut Server now?
by on Aug 8, 2012 at 10:30:52 pm

Hi Jason,

After ignoring all advice and proceeding with an install last year I can tell you that it's the best thing that's happened to our workflow and I can't remember how we coped before it.

We did it fairly cheaply so let me know if you want to discuss it.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Adam LaibenRe: Foolish to buy and set up Final Cut Server now?
by on Jul 23, 2013 at 7:07:37 pm

Could someone please direct me to a point of sale for the Final Cut Server. I can't find anything but downloadable updates for FCServer on Apple's website. Thank you.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]