Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Final Cut Server setting traits

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Server

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Paul AndrewsFinal Cut Server setting traits
by on Jul 27, 2011 at 9:11:49 am

I'd like to set a Metadata Group to non-editable but viewable for one user only.

Thought it could be achieved editing the 'Trait Permissions' for the user within 'Permission Set' but I can't get this and don't think you can add Metadata Groups to the list within 'Trait Permissions'.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Paul Andrews

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jason PerrRe: Final Cut Server setting traits
by on Jul 28, 2011 at 11:11:50 pm

The answer lies in the Postgres DB it self. There is a simple true/false value for each field to be editable or not. If you're not familiar with modifying the postgres I don't suggest poking around in there too much, but if you are I think its the pxmdfield table you are looking for.

-- Jason

Jason Perr
Intuitive Asset Management, Inc.
jperr@intuitiveiam.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Paul AndrewsRe: Final Cut Server setting traits
by on Jul 29, 2011 at 7:13:40 am

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your reply. I've had a look in the postgres db before but have been very wary of editing anything at all. Just to clarify, do you think editing the pxmdfield table can change Metadata Groups for individual users only?

I'll have another poke around myself and test it by restoring a database on a spare FCSvr XServe so I don't inadvertently hose my set up.

Cheers

Paul Andrews

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jason WhetstoneRe: Final Cut Server setting traits
by on Jul 29, 2011 at 8:46:47 pm

What you are trying to do is unfortunately not possible. We just don't have control over the user experience to that granular of a level. Permission sets control which metadata SETS a user can access, in terms of searching, checkout, creating, deleting, etc, and which devices, but you don't have a way to control what individual users see in terms of metadata groups. Any changes made to the fields in the pxmdfield table will affect what everyone sees - they are not user-specific.

Keep in mind that what a user sees is also determined by the pxmdgrouphasfield table- that table keeps track of which fields are in each MDgroup, and how fields are displayed for that MDgroup.

This solution may get you halfway there, and doesn't involve any DB hacking. Make a duplicate MDgroup that will contain all the fields in the original MDgroup, but all the fields will be uneditable (you have to do it manually). Only choose "View Details" and "Edit Details" for Actions for this group. Add this group to the same MDset that the original MDgroup is in - so you'd have, say "My MDgroup" and "My MDgroup Uneditable" in the same MDset. Now go back to your original "My MDgroup" and remove "View Details" and "Edit Details" from that group. This will make the "My MDgroup" show up only when a new asset is created with that MDset. When the asset is viewed/edited, the "My MDgroup Uneditable" will show up in its place. Now put your restricted user in a new group that has a permission set assigned that restricts them from creating assets with that metadata set. What you'll be left with is that the users in your unrestricted group will be able to create new assets with that metadata set. However, once created, the metadata will not be able to be changed without the admin making the field temporarily editable (or by a script). The restricted user will only be able to see the metadata, not change it, but will also not be able to create new assets with that metadata set.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Paul AndrewsRe: Final Cut Server setting traits
by on Aug 1, 2011 at 1:46:36 pm

Thank you Jason, you have been a great help

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy