Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

You've hit one out of the park with Element 3D - now a few questions

COW Forums : Video Copilot

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Joseph W. BourkeYou've hit one out of the park with Element 3D - now a few questions
by on Jul 11, 2012 at 2:49:23 pm

Nice work! Great interface, logical layout, nice format import capabilities. My questions are thus:

With the .obj files, many of my files have the associated .mtl file with them, the text file which contains the material descriptors. I can't seem to get that to work in Element. While the pointers to the material locations is imported, nothing shows on the model - am I missing something?

I purchased the Motion Graphics models, and downloaded the alternate formats file - it installs, but I have no idea where the install pointed to, and there don't seem to be any new, obvious folders on my machine (granted that I have an OS drive, and Apps drive, and 2 large media drives). But it would be useful to know where the stuff gets put - even the base model collection, which shows up in my Element interface, doesn't show up in the searches I've done. Some sort of path indicator would be nice in the interface. Of course, it may be there - I've only had the software a day.

When you're putting tutes together, you might want to do one on exporting models with textures for use in Element, maybe from 3DS, which I have, C4D, and of course the elusive .e3d, which I know of, but don't see any info on where you can save it from, and whether it works with materials better than the .obj format.

But once again, thanks for a killer plug-in. I'll probably have more questions by the end of the day - I'll try to keep them above the FAQ level.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joseph W. BourkeRe: You've hit one out of the park with Element 3D - now a few questions
by on Jul 11, 2012 at 3:16:58 pm

Okay -

For anyone who's interested, I found the Models, Bevels, and Materials folders in My Documents under my User name, in a Folder called VideoCopilot. This makes sense, although it might be nice to make the path customizable in order to access collections which live elsewhere.

Under Models, you will find the folders that show up in the interface in Element, allowing you to import from the collections. I also notice that the Starter Pack folder has a sub-folder called Maps. Is it possible that I need to create a Maps folder for .obj files to find their materials? There's also a .txt file in a folder called My_Models, but it's blank. Is there going to be some direction on how to use this coming down the pike?

Under bevels, all of the files seem to be a .ebf extension - is this a proprietary profile format. My searches on the web seem to turn up nada as to the format.

Back to the .e3d format - here's a link to the EdgeLib site - it seems to be home for the .e3d:

http://www.edgelib.com/index.php?node=1076

I notice that they say animations can be baked into the format - does this mean that now, or some time, animated models will work in Element. This would be huge for things like the liquid models in the Motion Graphics Pack. Anyway...to paraphrase Mark Twain, "If I had more time I would have written a shorter message."

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Buddy CouchRe: You've hit one out of the park with Element 3D - now a few questions
by on Jul 12, 2012 at 11:31:54 am

I totally agree. This is the best plugin I have ever seen for AE. Andrew's team is one talented bunch. I am buying :).

Buddy C

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]