Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
WINDOWS ON MAC:ForumOS X ForumWindows ForumApple Home

Article: Two Great Tastes That Taste Great Together! Windows on Mac, part 2

COW Forums : Apple - Windows on Mac

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Tim WilsonArticle: Two Great Tastes That Taste Great Together! Windows on Mac, part 2
by on Apr 8, 2008 at 7:00:00 am

Apple - Windows on Mac
Two Great Tastes That Taste Great Together! Windows on Mac, part 2Two Great Tastes That Taste Great Together! Windows on Mac, part 2

In part 2 of our look at Windows on Mac, Creative Cows Tim Wilson digs deeper into questions like 64-bit computing, drive formatting, and backing up your content. Youll find tips and tricks for dual-platform success, as well as answers to a few questions raised by part 1 of this series.

Feature   04/08/2008
Author: Tim Wilson

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

DahmooserTwo Great Tastes That Taste Great Together! Windows on Mac, part 2
by on Apr 9, 2008 at 9:38:45 am

okay, your last comment about not being able to run Mac OS on a PC is not entirely true.

please go to http://www.insanelymac.com, and you'll read about how you can do it.

NOW, that being said:

1. It is not legal per Apple's licensing agreement
2. It has some "issues" depending on the Motherboard and Graphics Card.
3. If you were to use a real Apple OS update, it would ruin your OS.
4. My test yielded a Xbench score of 165, and within that a OpenGL of around 197.

So, basically, in a world of YES/NO, the answer is decidedly NO.

However, after my tests, its somewhat disappointing to know that if Apple put just a little time into it, they could very easily "qualify" PC configurations that will work, and could address a few of the issues that persist on PC based systems.

Remember, Apple is quite simply, another "dedicated console" just like the PS3 or XBox360. Its no wonder they typically run without many issues, they need only support a small number of motherboard/graphics card configs.

So, although I am platform agnostic, I've come to the following conclusions:

1. I like the Mac OS better, it has, what I call, certain "intangibles" that make it cool and fun. That's all there is to it.

2. Give Windows a break. The fact that it can run with so many different motherboard/graphics card configurations is a testimony to the hard work that some programmers put into it.

Although I've had to be PC for many years now, there is little doubt in my mind that my next computer will be a mac, and I can't wait!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

sprungTwo Great Tastes That Taste Great Together! Windows on Mac, part 2
by on Apr 9, 2008 at 11:16:31 am

This is a fact. Apple make custom OS for a specific machine so it is well optimize!

I run a Mac Pro 8 cores with osx 10.5.2 plus Vista basic 32 bits via BootCamp. I need Windows because of Vegas and some audio applications.

All my drives are OSX formated, except the windows partition who is NTFS, and I can access all the data on Windows partition using MacDrive 7 and it work very well.

Here's my question:

It is possible to mount 2 osx drives in RAID 0 and still share the data between both OS (OSX and Vista) ?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andreas KielTwo Great Tastes That Taste Great Together! Windows on Mac, part 2
by on Apr 9, 2008 at 4:28:32 am

Tim,

Again thanks for the even deeper look into that "two taste" thing.

As you mentioned some of my comments here's something where I may not have been clear enough.
With an Intel MacBook (Pro) any mouse connected doesn't matter as it is not seen as a mouse connected, but as an addition to the track pad which is fullly Win compatible -- strange enough. With the Mac Intel desktop machines it will matter as these machines obviously do not have a track pad.

- Andreas

P.S. Funny thing about the mice: my daughter is PC, I'm Mac. I got three new machines within the last weeks all of them with mighty mouse. My daughter loves this mighty mouse and I'm with the PC mice.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

bobloadmireTwo Great Tastes That Taste Great Together! Windows on Mac, part 2
by on Apr 9, 2008 at 5:09:14 am

RuhRoh!
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,144126/article.html
don't think ill be jumping to the apple ship soon.
although 64 bit isn't a huge deal, but its always nice to have every advantage you can get.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tim WilsonTwo things for Andreas!
by on Apr 9, 2008 at 9:58:09 am

I'm not sure what you mean about not adding a mouse -- I just checked Device Manager, and it sees my Apple trackpad and Microsoft mouse as separate devices and drivers. Or do you mean on the Mac side?

I can understand your daughter liking the Apple mouse. One of the things I don't like about them is that they are much too small for my (normal sized) hands. There are other reasons, but they will not matter to your daughter. :-)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tim WilsonTwo Great Tastes That Taste Great Together! Windows on Mac, part 2
by on Apr 9, 2008 at 5:52:53 am

I was thinking about adding something about Pshop 64-bit on Windows, but the more I thought about it, the less of a story it seems to me. c|net had a better chance to get it right because they waited to get the story from Adobe.

http://www.news.com/8301-13580_3-9909725-39.html?tag=bl

Remember when this happened with the Intel chip? CS3 showed up exactly when Adobe said it would, with exactly the features they said it would -- even if it didn't fit with the timetable Mac users wanted it to. I'm not worried this time either.

Besides the fact that I really don't think there's a story here, the other main reason I left it out is that I don't think it should factor into the 64-bit **OS** decision.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 20, 2008 at 1:56:25 am

Hi all,

Here is another thing which might be interesting especially for Mac users who run Windows on their nice boxes with Boot Camp FireWire support.

On XP with Service pack 2 FireWire doesn't work with a lot of hardware - and as I experienced the Mac is one of those - doesn't mean it doesn't work at all. It runs at very slow speed. Means FW400 at 100 and FW800 at 100. And it might crash the whole system.
There is a patch from Microsoft hidden somewhere in their support pages. But you need some strange kind of ActiveX validation for that, with your machine connected to the Internet.

Unfortunately when we figured out this stuff today I wasn't allowed to connect my machine to the Internet - and so I do not have the links which describe how to get the working stuff from SP1 - I'll get them printed by snail mail. I'll post them as soon as I got them.
One of the things described there is that you need SP1 hanging around somewhere. If you started with SP2 there won't be a SP1.cab within the drivers and on the first glimpse it is not available anywhere.
Here is the trick to get it. Download SP1 or SP1a (those are the same, but the name of Microsoft is missing in 1a for some legal reasons) then try to run the SP1 .exe. This will expand and try to install the SP1a and give you a message that you can't downgrade the system. Now DON'T press OK but go to the temporary directory which was created for the SP1a installation and search for SP1.cab. copy this to your drivers directory where the SP2.cab is located.
I will post the links how to downgrade a system to make it working as soon as I got them.
This was just a hint as this little trick is not mentioned on any of this sites, before I forget.

Regards
Andreas

P.S.
I think Vista does have a similar problem.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 20, 2008 at 2:09:48 am

Andreas,

this FW issues has irritated me for a LONG time, if you find the link on the MS site, can you please send it to me?
nospam_ryanrmoos@gmail.com

remove the "nospam_" before sending.

ryan

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 20, 2008 at 2:28:18 am

Just used a bit of my brain to recall where we had been today on the Internet and found that one:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885222
But as said this is the one which uses the ActiveX stuff.

- Andreas

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 20, 2008 at 2:36:32 am

Forgot that:
No FW devices should be connected.

-Andreas

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 20, 2008 at 3:41:38 am

here another link to do it by hand:
http://www.rme-audio.com/english/techinfo/fw800sp2.htm

-Andreas

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 21, 2008 at 9:29:06 am

Thanks, Andreas! Its nice, yet sad to know, that all this time my expectations were correct! Fixed and it works fine now!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]