Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
WINDOWS ON MAC:ForumOS X ForumWindows ForumApple Home

Quicktime to AVI?

COW Forums : Apple - Windows on Mac

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Shawn MarshallQuicktime to AVI?
by on Jun 25, 2008 at 2:25:50 am

Hi:

I've completed a three minute After Effects project, rendered at 720x540, 30fps with the animation codec. The client wants three versions delivered: an h.264 Quicktime, a wmv, and an AVI; I don't believe this will ever be used for NTSC. I'm working on a Mac Pro.

I used Quicktime Pro to export the h.264 Quicktime and the Flip 4 Mac Pro exporter to create the wmv, but my AVI export choices seem pretty limited in the Mac Quicktime player. If I export an AVI using "None" compression the file is 5 GB; they want something around 60MB. The Cinepak codec is ancient and crappy. The other codecs are various flavors of DV. I imagine these videos will be viewed predominately on Windows machines, and I don't know if DVCPro50 is a standard codec on that platform.

I could run Windows XP under Boot Camp and use some video conversion software on that side. My hope is that there'd be better codecs available for AVIs. I know DivX works well, but I'd like to use something that's standard to Windows if possible.

Any suggestions as to what codec to use?

Any suggestions as to what conversion software works well?

Thanks.

Shawn Marshall
Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Allen ZagelRe: Quicktime to AVI?
by on Aug 6, 2008 at 1:32:39 pm

Hi Shawn

I'm rather new here and to the Mac's also having just bought a MacBook Pro. Been on PC's for years and using Sony's Vegas Pro. So my knowledge of MAC is still quite a bit limited.

In answer to your question as far as I know (AFAIK) You have only a few choices. Use BootCamp and something like Vegas, or get Sorenson Squeeze which is available for the MAC Platform. Then you can probably import your QT file into Squeeze and encode to AVI.

Maybe try a Google search for QT to AVI on MAC and see what comes up. There's a lot of little seperate conversion programs.

I definately would NOT use DivX for that because the client may nothave that codec installed and wouldn't be able to play it.

ASX Media Group, Inc.
http://www.asxvideo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shawn MarshallRe: Quicktime to AVI?
by on Aug 6, 2008 at 7:56:32 pm

Hi:

Thanks for your reply. I got a reply in the compression techniques forum about a Mac application called ffmpegX that converts Quicktimes to AVIs using the Microsoft MPEG 4 V2 codec. It worked perfectly for what I needed, $15.

Shawn Marshall
Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]