Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

putting pattern inside a text

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Alexandre Brandtputting pattern inside a text
by on May 20, 2012 at 8:52:39 pm

Hello all,

I need a bit of help for this operation. I have no idea what I should really do.
I'm redesigning a business card.

I have a pattern Ai file.

I want to extract the pattern and put inside the white text. I then what to change the color of it and make it orange like word "filmmaker". (I might change the current orange that is a bit off).
All I know is that I will need to rasterize the text layer white ?

Can anyone tell me the steps to do to make my idea possible ?

Thanks for reading !
Alex

motion pictures + storytelling = ?
-> FILMMAKING !

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Vincent RosatiRe: putting pattern inside a text
by on May 20, 2012 at 10:18:07 pm

There are a number of approaches you could take.

First, see if there is already a pattern in the Swatches palette, inside the AI pattern file.
If so, drag the pattern onto the artboard and set it to your desired color. Then drag the recolored pattern back into the palette.
Then, you can apply the pattern swatch to the text just as you would any other swatch.

If there is no pattern swatch, you'll either have to make one out of the given pattern, or probably the easier approach might be to simply Object / Expand the text that you want the pattern on, then use the expanded/outlined text as a clipping mask on the existing pattern.

Let us know if any of this doesn't make sense.
I didn't go into details on creating a pattern swatch because it might be unnecessary.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alexandre BrandtRe: putting pattern inside a text
by on May 20, 2012 at 11:58:34 pm

Hello,
Thanks for your advice.

I'm not very experimented with Ai. I think there is a pattern in the swatch.
Here is the file 4181_patern.ai.zip

I tried doing the manipulation as described with dragging the swatch to the art board but nothing happened. I did manage however to select it and change the color. I think I'm going to make white and so I'm going to make my text orange, and so the white pattern will be the "negative" space in the text.

I did manage to bring the file and make a new art board into my business card file but I don't know it that helps. Also, it seems that with this new art board not the entire pattern can be selected. There are some defaults, places that stays unselected.

What should I do ?

-> FILMMAKING !

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 21, 2012 at 12:13:51 am

Based on the file, you can just grab the pattern and put it in the Swatches Palette, than apply the new swatch to the text.

So first, paste the pattern into your business card AI file, change it to the appropriate color, than create the pattern swatch.

It looks like the swatch that you pulled to the artboard was probably just the registration swatch.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 21, 2012 at 1:43:44 am

Ahh ok.

So I did and it works but....

The problem for me knows is that background is empty and so I can see the blue background. My goal is that between the pattern I see the orange. Should I duplicate the text layer ? If yes, how can I place it exactly over the current layer (because when I copy and paste the new layer is not exactly over).

Thanks !
Alex

-> FILMMAKING !

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 21, 2012 at 11:20:11 am

Yeah, you can duplicate the text using copy/back (edit / copy / paste in back).
Or, you could select the text, and in the Appearance palette, click the toggle and Add New Fill Layer. Change the new Fill Layer color. You'll probably have to drag the new fill layer to be under the Characters layer, inside the palette.

Vince

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 21, 2012 at 7:00:53 pm

Great.

How would I be able to create a glow effect on the text such the one here on the word "liquiDance"

I guess I have to rasterize text and then put the effect. But I don't know if it's achievable in Ai. Maybe it’s a Photoshop thing ? If yes, how can I make sure I create a Photoshop design the same size as this text ?

Alex

-> FILMMAKING !

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]