Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Tracing a logo from a photo

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Glenn MooreTracing a logo from a photo
by on Dec 5, 2010 at 12:25:28 am

Hi all. I'm not much of a Illustrator user and spend a lot of time with Maya, After Effects and Premiere. I need a way to take a logo (a photo) that has overlapping characters and create a trace of each character so I can use the Create Outlines (if necessary) function in order to bring it in to Zaxwerks Invigorator. I plan to make it a 3D metallic version.

I tried to put an empty layer above it and use the pen tool to trace it out and it looks like that can work but there must be a better way. Every time I get very far, a white mask covers the areas I've already outlined or it covers areas yet to be outlined and I can't even see where I'm going. Any help or tips would be appreciated.

Glenn

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Glenn MooreRe: Tracing a logo from a photo
by on Dec 5, 2010 at 4:53:11 pm

Looks like something called Live Trace is the way to go but I'm using CS. If anyone knows a nother way, please advise. Otherwise I think I'll try extracting separate objects in Photoshop and bringing in the objects to Illustrator that way.

If you're gonna do it, try to do it well...if you can't do that then try to cover up your mistakes really well.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David CabestanyRe: Tracing a logo from a photo
by on Dec 6, 2010 at 1:49:52 am

Hey Glenn,

Unfortunately you will have to trace the logo by hand, Livetrace is not that accurate, specially for tracing logos and create outlines is only used when converting type to objects.

Try placing the file that you're basing your trace of as a template layer (file>place click template at the bottom of the dialog box) and then create a new layer on top, as you did already. The white mask you're referring to is appearing because you're using a path with a black stroke and a white fill, so as the shape progresses some areas of your image begin to get covered, you can avoid this by either working in outline mode (cmd Y) or by removing the fill from the shape you're tracing (in the tools palette, at the bottom, or in the color panel).

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 6, 2010 at 3:19:41 am

Thanks Dave. I figured out the white fill part by accident :-) I have been doing it by hand and it's slow work but at least it does work. Thanks again.

If you're gonna do it, try to do it well...if you can't do that then try to cover up your mistakes really well.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Christina RodriguezRe: Tracing a logo from a photo
by on Dec 15, 2010 at 2:19:08 am

I find that the time one spends in searching for a short cut takes more time than to actually do it by hand...

And most short cuts do not do that good a job of it... which means you'll have to do it by hand anyways.

Speaking from experience I guess...

C.R.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 15, 2010 at 3:58:34 pm

Agreed.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]