Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Scroll through fonts

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Naveen MallikarjunaScroll through fonts
by on Feb 7, 2010 at 4:55:31 pm

Looking around, the answer seems to be "no", but I figure I might as well as ask here for CS4.

Is there an easy way to scroll through fonts in Illustrator, so that the text on your artboard changes? You are supposed to be able to highlight the font in the character palette and press the arrow keys up and down. But this doesn't seem to work.

Someone mentioned using applejack to repair the cache. I did, but still nothing.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David CabestanyRe: Scroll through fonts
by on Feb 7, 2010 at 8:54:24 pm

That's works in Photoshop but for some strange reason it doesn't in illustrator, one of those miscommunication between programming teams at Adobe.

I've been looking for that same feature to come around every time a new version is released, but so far nothing.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

les nemethRe: Scroll through fonts
by on Feb 10, 2010 at 11:22:24 am

Not sure what U2 are talking about. In AI CS4 it works just like in any other version. Select your text, select the font in the Character palette and press the up/down arrow. The selected text on the artboard will change.

That's all there is to it.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Naveen MallikarjunaRe: Scroll through fonts
by on Feb 10, 2010 at 2:30:36 pm

I'm using AI CS4 on a mac. And it definitely does not work as you describe (which is how it should work).

Someone on another forum suggested a corrupted font cache file. I ran applejack to fix, but still nothing.

Also, supposedly more than 150+ fonts can cause this too, but I don't think I have that many loaded (unless you count every variation of each font).

In any case, very frustrating. And PS has no problem with this.

Naveen
contact@naveenmedia.com
http://www.naveenmedia.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

les nemethRe: Scroll through fonts
by on Feb 10, 2010 at 8:24:09 pm

You never said you were on the Mac. And since I am on windows, it works just fine for me.

I just wanted to illustrate how many posts I've been reading where people NEVER post their system, probably thinking it's so obvious that people can read my mind.

Instead, I was only reading what has been posted.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Glenn VickeryRe: Scroll through fonts
by on Sep 29, 2011 at 6:20:37 pm

I'm not sure what you're talking about. I tried both on the top of the page and in the character window in CS5.5. Neither of those work to change your font using the arrow keys in Illustrator.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Paul BensonRe: Scroll through fonts
by on Feb 10, 2010 at 11:13:08 pm

Just to be certain, you are clicking in the font drop down to make it the active control, correct? I have Windows, and as stated earlier, it does work, but you didn't mention if you selected the control.

Pauley

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Naveen MallikarjunaRe: Scroll through fonts
by on Feb 10, 2010 at 11:39:05 pm

Yes, I tried both the Character Palette, and also in the options/attributes bar that runs along the top of the app. Neither works.

This same method works fine in PS. I am now reduced to keeping both apps open, and selecting my font in PS before going back to AI.

I am originally a PC person, so I was hoping there was something different about the Mac I was missing. So far, it seems only Mac users experience this, so I guess this is one "feature" that isn't in the Mac version. :P

Naveen
contact@naveenmedia.com
http://www.naveenmedia.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Paul BensonRe: Scroll through fonts
by on Feb 11, 2010 at 3:55:18 pm

Even though the font scrolling works for me, I still use a simple font viewer (NexusFont on the PC) to see multiple fonts at once. I would think there would be something similar for the Mac - should use less resources than loading up Photoshop.

Pauley

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]