Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Need help convert PSD layers to Ai layers

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
David RowanNeed help convert PSD layers to Ai layers
by on Sep 26, 2008 at 7:46:00 pm

Total noob here trying to get the logo I designed in Photoshop converted to a vector graphics.

I still have all the seperate layers, and I can bring them into Ai and live trace them and they look fine, but when I try to overlap them the transparent area around the objects has become a solid white. I'm sure this is just some setting or something, right?

How can I bring objects from Ps into Ai and trace the shape without creating a white background?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joe RugbyRe: Need help convert PSD layers to Ai layers
by on Sep 26, 2008 at 8:09:25 pm

Find clipping paths in your manual.

Cheers,

Joe

L.O.A.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David RowanRe: Need help convert PSD layers to Ai layers
by on Sep 26, 2008 at 9:25:19 pm

Well, I keep trying to create a clipping mask. The closest I got to something that works is by reffering to a layer mask that was imported along with the object. That shows up in the transparency window. I just can't make it do anything.

The book says "create an object" and use it as the clipping mask, but I need to turn the object I already have into the clipping mask, I guess. I see the buttons, but nothing happens when I click them.

DWR

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff KelleyRe: Need help convert PSD layers to Ai layers
by on Sep 26, 2008 at 10:28:34 pm

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you recreating these objects in Illustrator? That sounds like what you are doing? So, if I understand this, Live trace is taking the transparent area's and making them white, right? But since it's now a vector image, you should just be able to delete the white area's.

Once you use Live Trace, go back to live trace and expand. This will make each section seperate and then you can delete the white area's

or am I missing something?

http://www.willinois.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David RowanRe: Need help convert PSD layers to Ai layers
by on Sep 26, 2008 at 10:43:58 pm

Yes, I just started trying that and it looked like it was going to work, but I found the real solution!
In the Trace settings there is an option to "ignore white" which also works on transparency! I'm saved!

DWR

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

aniket kulkarniRe: Need help convert PSD layers to Ai layers
by on Oct 17, 2008 at 2:43:48 pm

hello

i need to know how to convert psd files to ai format

it is urgent......

hoping quick response

aniket

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

madhukar vodalaRe: Need help convert PSD shapes to Ai layers
by on Feb 5, 2009 at 8:47:35 am

Hi,

I have designed a media player in photoshop using shapes but i was unable to convert it into vector paths

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]