Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Saving for the web

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Jimmy StewartSaving for the web
by on Jan 16, 2006 at 8:12:58 pm

in both photoshop and illustrator everytime i save my images as a "jpeg" for the web, it gives the image a white background. i just want a transparent background for the image...its going to go into dreamweaver.

please help?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Richard HarringtonRe: Saving for the web
by on Jan 16, 2006 at 9:18:28 pm

PNG

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Photoshop CS for Nonlinear Editors
Co-Author Final Cut Pro on the Spot, After Effects on the Spot, Broadcast Graphics on the Spot, and After Effects @ Work
Check out the new DVD: Photoshop CS: Essentials for Digital Video from http://www.photoshopforvideo.com

edit - produce - direct -

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Troy E. ParkerRe: Saving for the web
by on Jan 16, 2006 at 9:20:21 pm

Hi Jimmy,

To get rid of the white background you need to save the file in a format that supports a transparent background. This is a very simple process, and the following is a brief description of the same.

The first step is to ensure your artwork has a transparent background and then export to preserve the same (you can also add an alpha channel or map the outputr file to display a given color as transparent, but that is for another day...).

In photoshop you will usually need to have artwork that shows the default checkerboard background (simplest method) prior to saving. This is most easily accomplished by opening the new file with a transparent backgrouund (select this under contents in 'New file' window) and not placing any artwork in that layer.

From there you will need to 'Save for Web' and select either GIF or PNG as the output format under settings. Both of these support a 'Transparent background, with GIF the most popular.

From there, select 'Transparency' if not selected and you should see your checkerboard background surrounding the artwork. Continue with Optimizing the number of colors etc and output.

As there is more to preparing an image for use on a website, I would suggest checking the Adobe Help file with PS7 and do a COW or Google search for more complete tutorials on the subject. The above will hopefully get you headed in the correct direction...

Regards,
Troy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 16, 2006 at 9:49:23 pm

Do not encourage them...

There is Creative Calf for a reason... this is a pros forum

If he can't tell the difference between a JPEG, GIF, or PNG or is not even able to launch the help menu (Which includes the Export Transparent Image wizard)... then he needs to go back and read a little.

Giving such detailed answers to basic questions only reinforces that people shouldn't bother to hit the help key and read.

The forum says "more signal, less noise" for a reason.

Your answer is totally correct, and you are a kind person... just don't encourage such laziness on this forum please.

Co-Author Final Cut Pro on the Spot, After Effects on the Spot, Broadcast Graphics on the Spot, and After Effects @ Work
Check out the new DVD: Photoshop CS: Essentials for Digital Video from http://www.photoshopforvideo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

jayseRe: Saving for the web
by on Jan 18, 2006 at 2:59:32 am

-_- yikes...

Not to encourage but... :-P

this actually starts to get less calf-like the more one tries to do it - since IE doesn't support transparent png files - you'll need to look up the code workarounds to make it work (if, as you say, you're planning on taking it into Dreamweaver and use it on a site WITH the transparency.)

Get ready for a small headache (all Microsoft's fault, of course)

Try this:
http://webfx.eae.net/dhtml/pngbehavior/pngbehavior.html

Hope that helps,

// jayse

Ultimate After Effects Video Training CDs

Free Photoshop CS Video Tutorials

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 18, 2006 at 3:10:12 am

Newer version do support PNG right? I've made them work in IE.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Troy E. ParkerRe: Saving for the web
by on Jan 22, 2006 at 3:21:47 pm

Richard,

I waited a few days to repsond to this post as I totally disagree with the tone of your response to both the original poster and my assistance to him. It is not my intent to start a flame war here, but since you did bring this to the forum and you are a 'leader' I assume your response and a reasonable reply from me is within bounds.

While I agree with some of the substance of your reply, I feel that the original poster (a fairly new member) was doing his best to move forward in his knowledge and while the Creative Calf may be a better location for the post (for those that acutally know that it exists), it was within bounds to help this guy out, and not discourage him with negative replies.

Remembering back to when I was a total newbie, I to have asked some pretty basic questions that may have seemed 'Stupid' to the Real Pros... but the fact that I was able to study under some very helpful and patient 'Pros' was of great benefit.

As to the Don't Encourage Them' remark, any discussion with my past employees and interns will show I am not one to encourage laziness in any form, but I do believe in 'Positive Encouragement' where possible and the development of cognitive reasoning skills that promote inquiry and multiple levels of thought....no cookie cutter recipes here.

If you read my reply carefully, not only did I provide a solution that works for me, but encouraged him to search the Help files, search the web and in general improve his knowledge...

While not an author of widely published works, I am a trained educator who has worked with thousands of students (sometimes under extreme conditions) and as a Professional, I feel it is our responsibility in replying to the Posts to do so in a 'Professional' and 'Encouraging' manner that promotes growth.

As an open (but moderated) forum we will get many here that are of varying levels of experience, and it is not for me to judge if one is a professional or not. In short, if I do not like a post, I ignore it or if I believe I can help then I respond, and leave the judgement of Professional or not to others. What is the true definition of professional anyway... Especially here where we assume the dual role of media pro and educators.

Regards,
Troy

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 22, 2006 at 6:15:00 pm

Troy.. you are making too much of this

1. I answered his question first off... with a solution (one that a web or help search would have found). I did nto make fun of him or criticize hsi lack of knowledge. Simply stated the answer in three letters: PNG.

2. I teach college students as well, and have plenty of patience for them. I encourage them how to use the Cow, but also teach them how to use help, search posts, etc.

3. It is PERFECTLY clear that this individual did not use Help, as their are several answers screaming from the Help menus (form Export Transparent Image, to all of the How Tos, to just launching help and typing in JPEG).

4. My comment to you was not critizing you. Your information was accurate, but I was trying to point out, that typing such a througough answer only further disables someone who seems unable to perform even a basic search,

5. When a user joins, there is infor about Creative Calf and what the Cow is for (a detailed description of what more signal less noise means)

6. I do not laud my 'books' over people.... I write them to help people. But I am disspointed in how lazy many people are in typing questions to forums that could be found in less than 15 seconds on their own computer.

7. As a forum host, I am supposed to keep the forum on topic and make sure that the level of professionalism is maintained. By professionalism I mean the level of user experience. The Calf exists for just this sort of questions, as does online help.
Usually I avoid responding to these sorts of questions, perhaps I shoudl have done so here as well.

Again, not trying to isnult you or anything else.. just trying to get this individual to learn how to fend for themselves. I complemeneted your kindness, made a request with the word please, and explained my reasons.

You are free to disagree with me... but I'm just doing my job

Thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]