Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PHOTOSHOP:HomePhotoshop TutorialsForumIllustrator TutorialsPS BasicsPhotoshop PodcastPhotography Forum

Rotate your Canvas

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Zachary HollifieldRotate your Canvas
by on May 28, 2008 at 4:13:56 pm

Hi,

I've been slowly migrating to a wacom tablet for some design elements and came across this issue...

How the heck do you rotate your canvas!?!? You know, as if you were drawing on a piece of paper. Does PS and AI NOT have that ability? Is there not hot-key for this? This is a time killer! Even AE has a hot-key for rotating a layer, and I have yet to come across that hot-key for that in PS or AI?

Maybe I'm missing something, but if somebody could help or verify so I can stop trying to find that option - I would greatly appreciate it.

:-) Thanks in advance,

-Zach

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gary HazenRe: Rotate your Canvas
by on Jun 1, 2008 at 9:33:11 pm

Image > rotate canvas

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Zachary HollifieldRe: Rotate your Canvas
by on Jun 2, 2008 at 2:12:26 pm

I know that rotate... Say if you were drawing on a piece of paper and to get that perfect stroke, you would rotate the paper say 15 degrees. Is there a way to rotate your canvas 23 degrees, 12 degrees, 33 degrees ect...? Dont you think there shout be a hot key for that (alt+r and drag to the left or right) would be great huh!) If this exists in PS I'd love to know.

Thanks,

-Zach

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

jeff KelleyRe: Rotate your Canvas
by on Jun 2, 2008 at 8:11:00 pm

Are you just trying to rotate a canvas in Photoshop? As long as it's on it's own layer and not a background, just go Edit/Transform/Rotate. You get handles you can rotate you image or you can put in the exact degree's in on top. There is a hot key for this. On a mac it's Apple/t . then control click for the type of transform.

This is very basic photoshop.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Zachary HollifieldRe: Rotate your Canvas
by on Jun 2, 2008 at 8:33:08 pm

This is what I mean. If you watch this video you can see there is a hotkey that he presses and rotates the canvas just ever so slightly to get that perfect line. Most of have a certain stroke of the pen when drawing or using the wacom tablet. Hes able to consistently rotate his canvas so he can keep his hand movent in one direction.

http://frenden.com/painter-x-inking-video-brush-settings/#more-68

In photoshop the only way I know of doing this is like you said, transform>rotate. But in painter X as you can see, its as simple as a key command with mouse drag. I hope this makes sense.

Thanks,

-Zach

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ray FrendenRe: Rotate your Canvas
by on Jun 3, 2008 at 2:53:46 am

Arbitrary, non-destructive canvas rotation does not exist in Photoshop. Painter, Manga Studio, OpenCanvas, Comicwerks and many other applications do, however, support it.

In Painter, Alt (or Option on Mac) + Space rotates the canvas on the fly. Painter's brush algorithms are far better than Photoshop's. The dampening and cubic interpolation (plus the ability to recognize stroke velocity as a determinate for how the brush reacts) is way above the latter's brush engine.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Staci DanielRe: Rotate your Canvas
by on Jun 15, 2009 at 10:26:38 am

Ok, I'm new to this whole forum communication thing, but just so you know, there IS A FAST way to rotate your canvas as you work with your tablet. The hot key default is set to "r" according to some people in the know.

BUT, you have to go into you wacoom tablet preferences to mess with your key setup. You can also make it so one of the buttons on your tablet cheat and activate this rotation tool, but mine for some reason isn't working... and I can't figure it out.

I'll ask in class tomorrow... for my own benefit... and now yours too... assuming you're still seeking answers.

ta ta.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jimmy JenkinsRe: Rotate your Canvas
by on Mar 18, 2011 at 4:57:34 pm

in Painter X and X11 you can use the "E" key to freely rotate canvas and "B" key to go back to brush tool, I have found it very useful when using my Intuos pen, I programmed the buttons on the pad for these 2 keys.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

alison klepatskyRe: Rotate your Canvas
by on Aug 28, 2009 at 3:52:26 am

Photoshop doesn't have that aspect, but Corel Painter does! This is why I've migrated to Painter for all virtual sketches that must be done. Photoshop is still the best for photo manipulation.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Theo van LaarRe: Rotate your Canvas
by on Aug 28, 2009 at 11:23:22 am

And photoshop has the option to use the ruler to calculate (and apply) for you the degrees of rotation you need to get a line strainght horizontal...
Works much better that rotating by hand.

Theo

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Skip HallRe: Rotate your Canvas
by on Jan 15, 2010 at 6:25:26 pm

Okay! I give! How the H--L does one [Theo van Laar] "use the ruler to calculate (and apply) for you the degrees of rotation you need to get a line strainght horizontal... " ?? I've been searching and keywording and using every other search trick I know for nearly an hour, and yours is the closest I've come to the mark so far!

I'm sure when you're rotating an image, there is a keyboard shortcut to use in making that image fit SQUARELY on the canvas. Trying to get that degree of precision by hand/eye seems fundamentally impossible. But which key to use for that shortcut, is a mystery to me.

Help?

Skip Hall
Homeworks Video Productions
Suffolk, Va

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 15, 2010 at 8:23:24 pm

'I'm sure when you're rotating an image, there is a keyboard shortcut to use in making that image fit SQUARELY on the canvas. '

Go to FILE-AUTOMATIC and choose the appropriate option

Note that with this method you place your picture straight, which isdifferent from the ruler method I mentioned before. That one can be used e.g. to make the horizon straight

Theo

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Robert MorrisRe: Rotate your Canvas
by on Jan 12, 2010 at 6:13:16 am

Careful... Photoshop CS4 DOES have that feature, as someone stated above. Hit the "R" key while in Photoshop CS4 and you can rotate the canvas non-destructively. Just as the spacebar lets you pan.

Fine Art Drawings | Photography | Compositing | VFX | Titles | Keying | 3D

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

john rubyRe: Rotate your Canvas
by on Jan 29, 2010 at 10:19:39 pm

And just a note for anyone having problems with rotation in Photoshop. The program works with your graphics card to enable rotation. It will only work if you allow PS to use your graphics card (GPS must support OpenGL as well i believe).

Go to Edit > Preferences > Performance (this is for PS CS4).

Hitting the "R" key does let you rotate, but unlike the space-bar it doesn't go back to your previous tool when you let go of "r"

in Painter, if you hold down space bar it pans, and space-bar + "alt" keys let you rotate. Right when you let go of this it goes back to what you were using (i.e. the paint brush). It is EXTREMELY convenient.

My question is: does photoshop let you do this as well? or would i have to manually select the paint brush tool again when im finished rotating?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 1, 2010 at 11:17:16 am

"My question is: does photoshop let you do this as well? or would i have to manually select the paint brush tool again when im finished rotating?"

When you are e.g. painting, you can click Ctrl T, perform your rotation (or any other transformation) and click ENTER. Now the paintbrush will be activated again automaticly. Yes, it is EXTREMELY convenient.

Theo

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark LinthicumRe: Rotate your Canvas
by on Dec 15, 2011 at 7:01:16 am

Funny how there is so much miss information here.

Yes you can rotate the canvas! I was teaching someone Photoshop and they kept rotating the canvas by accident so i searched and found this post. Thanks for the accurate information!

There seems to be a rotate tool in the tool bar as well. Holding shift snaps to even increments.

Mark

Thanks, Mark

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sean JohnsonRe: Rotate your Canvas
by on Feb 23, 2012 at 6:43:20 pm

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshop/cs/using/WSA6DF9C40-CEA8-4cfd-9A8B-44...

For anyone else who googles this and gets this thread.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

cow pooRe: Rotate your Canvas
by on Jun 3, 2012 at 9:10:16 pm

this needs some serious clarification here

Yes, Photoshop can rotate the canvas using a different command than the usual 'image/image rotation' command.

First of all, you need to be running a recent version of Photoshop. I think CS4 was the first version to have this ability (*could* be CS3 but I don't think it started with CS4.)

Second, your video card needs to support 'hardware acceleration'. check your video card specs to see if you have this or not.

If all is good, then you need to make sure 'Enable OpenGL Drawing' is checked on in the 'edit/preferences/performance' menu.

Then, you go into your image and hit 'r' on the keyboard. it will switch to the rotate canvas tool (you can also access the rotate tool in the tools pallet). now, you can rotate the canvas with 100% smoothness, right on the spot and it is real-time responsive, as if you were rotating a sheet of paper on your desk. no need to rotate the canvas at 90 degrees and then wait while photoshop processes it.

i am using a wacom tablet, and have the rotate canvas tool set to a click of the pen button, so every time i click the button on the pen, it switches to the rotate tool, i rotate the canvas, let go of the button, and it returns to the previous tool. all instantly and without ANY lag.

so there you go, all cleared up.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

cow pooRe: Rotate your Canvas
by on Jun 3, 2012 at 9:12:17 pm

this needs some serious clarification here

Yes, Photoshop can rotate the canvas using a different command than the usual 'image/image rotation' command.

First of all, you need to be running a recent version of Photoshop. I think CS4 was the first version to have this ability (*could* be CS3 but I think it started with CS4.)

Second, your video card needs to support 'hardware acceleration'. check your video card specs to see if you have this or not.

If all is good, then you need to make sure 'Enable OpenGL Drawing' is checked on in the 'edit/preferences/performance' menu. you may need to re-start photoshop after this step if the following steps don't work.

Then, you go into your image and hit 'r' on the keyboard. it will switch to the rotate canvas tool (you can also access the rotate tool in the tools pallet). now, you can rotate the canvas with 100% smoothness, right on the spot and it is real-time responsive, as if you were rotating a sheet of paper on your desk. no need to rotate the canvas at 90 degrees and then wait while photoshop processes it.

i am using a wacom tablet, and have the rotate canvas tool set to a click of the pen button, so every time i click the button on the pen, it switches to the rotate tool, i rotate the canvas, let go of the button, and it returns to the previous tool. all instantly and without ANY lag.

so there you go, all cleared up.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Amnon GardiRe: Rotate your Canvas
by on Aug 22, 2012 at 11:30:14 am

I am using Wacom Professional Pen Tablet with Photoshop cs6. The Intuos5 board equipped with a wheel which allows rotating the canvas (and much more properties).
Amnon
gardiam@bezeqint.net

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

William CannadayRe: Rotate your Canvas
by on Sep 30, 2012 at 4:01:45 am

Can you use a 3D mouse to rotate the canvas by setting one of the function keys to the r stroke and using 3D mouse to rotate while sketching with the wacom tablet.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

kiki wannzRe: Rotate your Canvas
by on Dec 14, 2012 at 11:56:01 am

Hit r to rotate the canvas... this is a shortcut key....
to reset the canvas hit esc....
the tool is call Rotate view tool.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Anna SorianoRe: Rotate your Canvas
by on Jun 28, 2014 at 8:54:13 pm

Click r and rotate with your pen

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS