Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PHOTOSHOP:HomePhotoshop TutorialsForumIllustrator TutorialsPS BasicsPhotoshop PodcastPhotography Forum

"Could not complete your request because of a program error."

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Dester Wallaboo"Could not complete your request because of a program error."
by on Aug 25, 2005 at 6:18:14 pm

Preface: I have a vast amounts of experience in debugging software issues on computers.

OK... this is REALLY bizarre..... about a week ago I got this error while trying to save a file under Photoshop CS. It happened once... then went away. The very next day... I got the same error while trying to open any (and I mean) any file in Photoshop... I'm talking new files or old files, JPEG's, PNG's, TIFF's, etc. I deleted preferences, settings, all of that. Tried booting up without plugs installed, etc. All of the things one would typically go through to fix the problem. I even went so far as to remove every single Adobe application from my box (and all of their related support files) and reinstall everything. Exact same error. Then... intermittently... I could open or save files again... just to have it go back to the same problem as before. This was really bugging me. I then decided to try and run Photoshop that was sitting on another workstation via the network... exact same error. But even stranger than this is... that Photoshop that was running PERFECTLY previous to all of this... no longer works either!! It now shows up with the same error. Really, really bizarre.

Anyone else have this issue?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

IsabelleVtRe: "Could not complete your request because of a program error."
by on Aug 28, 2005 at 5:04:11 pm

I started getting the same message yesterday when I tried to save some .psd files I had been working on. Couldn't find a way to get around it and lost them. I replaced the Preferences file with a backup copy I keep on my desktop and all worked as it should until later in the day when I tried to "save as" a file and got the same message. I tried just "save" and that worked. I don't know what is happening (or why), but hope I don't have to reinstall Photoshop.

Sounds like you're really knowledgeable, so if you find a reason (or fix) for the problem, please let me know. I definitely don't have knowledge about debugging, so need all the help I can get.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

TerryLRe: "Could not complete your request because of a program error."
by on Sep 1, 2005 at 8:38:54 pm

Did you try using a Save As and renaming the photos? I had a similar problem and could not save photos, but only one set from a particular camera. Others were fine. It's not ideal but at least renaming the offending files in a Save As meant I could then use them as normal. They would open and save without problems. Also tried deleting preferences but did nothing.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

IsabelleVtRe: "Could not complete your request because of a program error."
by on Sep 6, 2005 at 2:12:08 pm

Thanks, Terry, for your response. I haven't had a repeat of the problem, but if and when I do, I'll try your suggestion.

Cheers!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Craig WhiteRe: "Could not complete your request because of a program error."
by on Jun 12, 2009 at 4:46:58 pm

I'm not sure how current this posting is, but I thought I would write to maybe help a few people out who are having this problem. I have noticed that when I don't have the proper fonts loaded in Photoshop CS3 for a particular file it will give me this error. Once I load the fonts the problem is solved. I use Suitcase for my font management. I was not sure which font was in the file that was causing the problem so I simply loaded all available fonts and voila! Problem solved. Hope this helps.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Greg PlummerRe: "Could not complete your request because of a program error."
by on Jun 30, 2009 at 2:22:06 am

I have had the same thing happen, very spuratic. For 3 months everything worked great. Now for the last two days I have been trying so hard to work, but Photoshop continuously crashes with the error message "Could not complete your request because of a program error." All I have to do is luanch the program and let it sit there and it crashes by itself with out me even moving the mouse... YIKES! Help! I'm calling Adobe tomorrow. One mor ething; I thought it would help if I uninstalled the creative suite 4 and re-install it... it didn't help, its the same!!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Robin KoontzRe: "Could not complete your request because of a program error."
by on Jul 7, 2009 at 2:37:11 pm

I had this problem too and found the solution/s here:
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/331/331627.html

In my case, disconnecting my broadband modem did the trick. Weird.

Good luck! I feel your pain when programs misbehave while we're on a deadline.

Robin

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gayle SteinmetzRe: "Could not complete your request because of a program error."
by on Aug 5, 2009 at 4:13:22 pm

We are having this error at the present time in our business. Research found that the start up of Photoshop without the preferences corrects the problem only to have it reoccur periodically. Adobe customer service responded that Photoshop is not designed to perform across a server. If you have a server, move or copy your photo to your desktop. This is sad, considering most corporations use servers. However, try this and hope for the best.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

michael klineRe: "Could not complete your request because of a program error."
by on Aug 28, 2009 at 4:19:17 pm

I had to delete some Asian typefaces that Firefox had installed. After that, no more problems, and Photoshop ran much better as well. Mac OSX 10.5.7, Photoshop CS4. Not really bagging on Firefox, it's great. Just watch those updates and what they install.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

cris bucekRe: "Could not complete your request because of a program error."
by on Dec 17, 2009 at 7:31:07 pm

Hello guys!
After struggling for days with the same problems and even trying different versions of Photoshop I found the solution.
The problem probably happened after a printer installation...
Anyway, try the following steps:
Go to your Control Panel
Click on Printers
- Find the Microsoft XPS Document Writer
- Right click over it to open the menu and select "Set as Default Printer
- Re-start your Photoshop. Problem sorted!
Cheers,
Cris

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

zgura georgeRe: "Could not complete your request because of a program error."
by on Jan 29, 2010 at 2:53:03 am

cris bucek you were absolutely right my man.next time i'll drink a beer i'll think of you.simple problem,simple solution.i like your stile.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Mari GomRe: "Could not complete your request because of a program error."
by on Mar 17, 2011 at 1:40:32 am

"Hello guys!
After struggling for days with the same problems and even trying different versions of Photoshop I found the solution.
The problem probably happened after a printer installation...
Anyway, try the following steps:
Go to your Control Panel
Click on Printers
- Find the Microsoft XPS Document Writer
- Right click over it to open the menu and select "Set as Default Printer
- Re-start your Photoshop. Problem sorted!
Cheers,
Cris"

<<<<<<<<<<<<<< THIS WORKS!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Robin CraigenRe: "Could not complete your request because of a program error."
by on Oct 22, 2013 at 12:50:19 am

This was it!! Thanks~

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sara HutchisonRe: "Could not complete your request because of a program error."
by on Sep 15, 2011 at 9:40:51 pm

Thanks Chris! This worked for me! I had installed a new printer, got an error while trying to print, then started getting this error in Photoshop. I uninstalled the new printer, changed my default to Microsoft XPS and voila! Thanks again!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Glenn ColvinRe: "Could not complete your request because of a program error."
by on Apr 5, 2010 at 3:47:03 pm

Hey Michael,
Don't know if you're following this or not, hope you are. But, the question I have is did you delete the Asian Type faces in Firefox or in CS4? I have a user here that is having the exact same problem, not crashing but getting the error constantly, even when not running the program. Mac OS 10.5.8. Thanks for your help and have a good one.

Glenn

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

Pankaj IndiaRe: "Could not complete your request because of a program error."
by on Apr 11, 2011 at 6:46:42 pm

bingo!!! you rock Gayle Steinmetz

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ohad RedlichRe: "Could not complete your request because of a program error."
by on Sep 4, 2010 at 9:11:50 pm

it happened to me when i was trying to save a JPEG file a friend sent me. i tried to edit and save, and got this error.
i found out the solution: under "file" menu, go to "File Info" it was marked as "copyright". change to "unknown" and delete any name that are there.
it will work for you then, i hope :-)

Ohad.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Arnold ResurreccionRe: "Could not complete your request because of a program error."
by on Dec 30, 2010 at 3:34:25 am

There is another way to go around with that problem in photoshop. First is to open the document in microsoft office picture then export it into different extension such as "tif" then open it on photoshop and save as to "jpg" extension, if that is the extension file that you wanted.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

Post removed.

Ed O'NealRe: "Could not complete your request because of a program error."
by on Nov 2, 2011 at 7:47:01 pm

This one worked for me. Thank you.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ed O'NealRe: "Could not complete your request because of a program error."
by on Nov 2, 2011 at 11:29:00 pm

The copyright solution worked for me. Thanks Ohad!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

James SchoolingRe: "Could not complete your request because of a program error."
by on Jul 30, 2012 at 4:01:19 pm

I had the same problem all of a sudden in the middle of a design session, and through the process of elimination traced it back to a font I used that I'd never used previously. I reset the PS preferences, which got PS working again, and deleted the font from my system. Everything is working great again.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]