Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PHOTOSHOP:HomePhotoshop TutorialsForumIllustrator TutorialsPS BasicsPhotoshop PodcastPhotography Forum

masking an image inside text

COW Forums : Adobe Photoshop

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
chrisusvimasking an image inside text
by on May 13, 2005 at 5:12:50 pm

I saw a picture of a whale's tail masked inside a text block that said something like 'vanishing whales'. The whole photo is masked by the shape of the letters.
The manual in the Photoshop CS 8.0 doesn't have instructions on how to mask a photo inside text.
How is this done?

Thanks in advance.

chrisusvi

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff CochranRe: masking an image inside text
by on May 13, 2005 at 5:35:30 pm

You'll have to use a layer mask.

Use the type tool and type your text over the image you want to mask. Size it so that it's where you want it. Hold down the apple key and click on the layer Icon for the text layer in the layers pallete. This will make a selection from the text. Hide the text layer.

Now, select the layer that has the image (Make sure the eye ball is on for this layer) Click on the mask button at the bottom of the pallete. (The gray square with the circle in the middle).

Jeff Cochran

http://www.jeffcochrandigitalartist.com/

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kim MackenzieRe: masking an image inside text
by on May 13, 2005 at 6:02:54 pm

You can also make what's called a clipping group, which is nice because the type can be live.

Type your text.

Get your photo situated in the layer above the text layer.

in the Layers palette, option click on the border between the two layers. The photo should then be clipped by the contents of the text layer.

--
This method isn't limited to text layers - any kind of layer can be used to clip another.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

chrisusviRe: masking an image inside text
by on May 13, 2005 at 8:57:28 pm

Jeff,

When I click on the layer icon, it makes another layer (layer 1) between the text layer and the background? Is this correct?
I'm following what you gave me for instructions and its not masking out the text.
Could you kindly be a little more specific with this procedure.

I would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff CochranRe: masking an image inside text
by on May 15, 2005 at 10:35:41 pm

No

Sorry if I miss led you, You want to click on the icon of the layer you are working on (In this case the text layer). In the layers pallete, do you see the layer with the Big T on it? That's what you want to click on

Jeff Cochran

http://www.jeffcochrandigitalartist.com/

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]