Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
RED CAMERA:Red Camera ForumRed Camera Tutorials / ArticlesHD TutorialsHD High-End Forum

"Fast" export of RED EPIC HDR material??

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Sara Axelsson"Fast" export of RED EPIC HDR material??
by on Mar 14, 2012 at 9:34:42 am

Hi!

I have Red Epic material filmed with HDR that I need to export. Fast.
The problem is that it takes about 4 hours/clip so I must change my setting/workflow but how?

Right now I'am converting the material to 1920x1080, prores 422 HQ. Sadly to say I'am converting directly from the disk I got. Not ideal but a neccessary mean right now.
I'am doing a backup to my computer as I type so when the backup is finished I'll convert from that instead. Tried one clip directly from the computer but there was no time difference.

When I done worked with red epic before it takes about 10-20 min/clip and not 4 hours...

Does HDR make that kind of time difference??

Sara

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sara AxelssonRe: "Fast" export of RED EPIC HDR material??
by on Mar 28, 2012 at 1:29:08 pm

Hi!

So I just want share my experiences with you.
The export were finally done by Media Enconder because Redcine-X was too slow. We had no red rocket card installed so that's why it took so much time. You defiantly must have them if you're working with Epic with HDR.

Otherwise It was just swell working with the epic material.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Matt GerardRe: "Fast" export of RED EPIC HDR material??
by on May 10, 2012 at 4:37:07 pm

How did media encoder handle the HDRx files? Did it merge/mix them, or did it just encode the A track or the X track? How did the encoded files look? Were you able to change the balance between the A/X tracks per clip, or was it a batch?

Many questions, I never considered Media Encoder for getting files outof the RAW R3D files. But there are now people (mostly on the PC side) that are saying some of the new graphics cards coming out are coming close to if not faster than the Red Rocket card for half the cost. Would love to hear more on that!

Matt

Its more fun to ride a slow motorcycle fast than a fast motorcycle slow...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 11, 2012 at 7:39:38 am

-------
.."How did media encoder handle the HDRx files? Did it merge/mix them, or did it just encode the A track or the X track? How did the encoded files look? Were you able to change the balance between the A/X tracks per clip, or was it a batch?

Many questions, I never considered Media Encoder for getting files outof the RAW R3D files. But there are now people (mostly on the PC side) that are saying some of the new graphics cards coming out are coming close to if not faster than the Red Rocket card for half the cost. Would love to hear more on that!"..
-----

Hi Matt!

The Media Encoder handled the files just fine. It's stable. I had maybe about 100 files and it just kept going BUT it took a very very very very VERY long time to convert. Almost a ridiculous amount of time.
I didn't have a red rocket card or anything like that. I recommend you to get one if you are working with Epic HDR.

I'm sad to say that I don't know more about these non rocket cards :( But that would be great if it was just as good or even better.

With the HDR in mind there was just one file. The A and X track merged. The output looked good. I did the offline cut and did no mixing/balancing of the HDR.

I talked to our colourist and he said that the HDR was very heavy worked. Not so smooth and easy to work with And he worked just with one file of the HDR. The reason why HDR was used in this project was that the client wanted to extract stills for a campaign.

So I recommend that you have a red rocket or something simular. Although in some programs you don't need to convert the files e.g. Premiere 6 (?) And really to use HDR when you need to.

Hope I covered all your questions :)

Sara

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 14, 2012 at 4:08:01 pm

Thanks for the info, the more the better, in my opinion. I have a RR card, just haven't set up a proper workstation for it. I have used it to export stuff, and compared to without it, its just silly fast. think realtime.

I understand that the colourist would be working double time with 2 tracks to grade and mix, it must be a bit of a dent in their workflow to work with HDRx, but I'll bet its worth it for the shots you can grade out of the raw files!

Matt

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 7, 2012 at 11:39:24 am

Hi Matt!

I found this link that might be of some intrest to you. Maybe you already have seen it...?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 7, 2012 at 1:32:30 pm

Great Video, I agree with the commenter on the sunglasses while grading, that's a bit odd, but he's working a BMW shoot, so....

I love videos like this, as it shows (somewhat) real world situations where people like us might find ourselves. People knock RedCineX as being subpar and incomplete, but it is getting used out there in real production. I would love to build a cart like that, I've seen a couple of DIT carts that would be great to have, but I mostly work in studio so I don't need to be quite that portable.

Thanks for the link!

Matt

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]