Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
RED CAMERA:Red Camera ForumRed Camera Tutorials / ArticlesHD TutorialsHD High-End Forum

DO I change my aspect ratio in red rushes or FCP

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Tyler SmithDO I change my aspect ratio in red rushes or FCP
by on Sep 18, 2011 at 9:32:13 pm

Can I change my aspect ratio in red rushes, and how do I go about doing this?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David BattistellaRe: DO I change my aspect ratio in red rushes or FCP
by on Sep 19, 2011 at 8:09:25 am

It is not a good idea to be using redrushes.

The tool to use is REDCINE X or REDCINE X PRO.

WIthin these tools you can reframe shots and aspect ratios for renders.

David

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tyler SmithRe: DO I change my aspect ratio in red rushes or FCP
by on Sep 19, 2011 at 10:49:02 pm

So how do I change my aspect ratio to 2:35.1 in redcine x. do I still need to transcode my footage in redrushes

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy GarchowRe: DO I change my aspect ratio in red rushes or FCP
by on Sep 20, 2011 at 3:55:34 am

What aspect did you shoot?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 27, 2011 at 7:19:38 pm

I SHOOT IN 2.35:1 ANAMORPHIC

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Nelson GoforthRe: DO I change my aspect ratio in red rushes or FCP
by on Sep 27, 2011 at 8:37:33 pm

If you're shooting anamorphic you'll need to set RedCineX to unsqueeze the footage. I've only done this for a couple of test shots, but in the Viewer (in RCX) select "Anamorphic" from the "Normal/Anamorphic" pulldown. This should then present your shot unsqueezed. Then in the Framing Controls window set up the origin, width and height numbers to give you the frame you want. If you framed for the full width of the Epic sensor (no look-around), then the image is 5120 px wide (by 2700 wide). [I don't have an Epic right here, nor do I have anamorphic footage from an Epic, so I may be off in here somewhere. And my math skill suck.]

5120 2.35
_____ x ______

So X comes out being 2179 px. Again, this may not be right because you're using anamorphic lenses and I don't have anything to test with - when you start squeezing and unsqueezing things work differently.

In the Framing Controls set width to 5120, height to 2179, Origin Y to 0 and Origen X to the frame height (2700 px) - 1/2 (2179). I'll leave the math to you. Set the crop to "Center Crop"

You'll see, in the viewer, blue lines representing the crop. Once you've got this set up the way you like it be sure to save it as Look Preset so you don't have to do the calculations again.

If this does not make sense, send me a two snapshots from RCX of one frame of the footage (use the little camera icon under the Viewer window) just as it is, one as it came out of the camera, one unsqueezed. Send at full-rez, but you may want to convert the TIFF to a JPEG for easier transmission. Send to nelson@goforthstudio.com

Nelson Goforth

Red Camera Rental & Indy Features, Denver Colorado.
rockymountain4k.com * 303.506.2456

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David BattistellaRe: DO I change my aspect ratio in red rushes or FCP
by on Sep 20, 2011 at 9:37:11 am

[Tyler Smith] "I still need to transcode my footage in redrushes"

Pretend REDRUSHES does not exist. Because it does not exist. It is no longer supported by RED.

The only tool you can use to generate the files you want are"

REDCINE X
REDCINE X PRO

Determine the aspect ratio you shot.

Render to an editing file fomat.

Let's say you shot 2:35 then you can render out the custom file size as a QT movie or you could render to fit width at 1920x1080 and you would have black bars at the top and bottom of your footage.

Forgive me, but can you get a bit more detailed with your questions, it seems you have a lack of post knowledge.

David

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 27, 2011 at 7:23:19 pm

DO I NEED TO FIX THE ASPECT RATIO BEFORE OR AFTER I EDIT. WE SHOOT ON 2.35:1 ANAMORPHIC. I NEVER WORKED ON RED FOOTAGE before. But it seems I need to edit my project then after editing put it though red x is that correct or am i mistaking

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 27, 2011 at 8:45:58 pm

I think your editor is going to want unsqueezed footage. You may want to do a low-rez render out of RCX for editing purposes, then link back to the original footage for full resolution output later; 1/8 Debayer takes a lot less time than Full Quality (plus you could, if wanted, edit _that_ on a laptop). Check this forum for post workflow.

ABOVE ALL: TEST the solution(s) ALL THE WAY THROUGH the post process BEFORE you pull twenty hours of clips into RCX and start processing.

Nelson Goforth

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 23, 2011 at 4:38:56 am

In RedCineX use the Framing Controls in the windows (you may have to expand a lot of the controls to find this, down at the bottom under Image Controls, etc). You can set the frame and then save it as a preset; I've got one for working with Epic footage out to 16:9. Watch your numbers (get out a calculator), I don't think it maintains ratios automatically, though I could be wrong.

The other posters are correct - use RedCineX (RCX) for transcoding now.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 1, 2011 at 10:19:49 am

hey in red cine x the frame flag control won't open how can i get it to open

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS