Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
RED CAMERA:Red Camera ForumRed Camera Tutorials / ArticlesHD TutorialsHD High-End Forum

Want Opinion: Cinema Tools vs. Clipfinder for Reconform

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Nicholas MontgomeryWant Opinion: Cinema Tools vs. Clipfinder for Reconform
by on May 27, 2011 at 6:04:30 am

Hi all

I've been dealing with colouring my first RED feature film and through all of the research, experimented with various methods of doing a reconform to the R3Ds.

The FCP project file is interesting to begin with (there are clear signs the editor didn't know what they were doing), which lead to some problems. Using Clipfinder didn't fully work getting the cut to Color, then tried setting up an R3D database with Cinema Tools, used an EDL out of FCP, and that imported into Color fine...mostly.

Bottom line: Cinema Tools seems easier to do the reconform (never used it before) than going the Clipfinder route, or any other. Are there reasons I should try using Clipfinder in the future? Or should I stick with Cinema Tools?

Give me your thoughts, humans!

Cinematographer / Editor
Synn Studios Inc.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Paul ProvostRe: Want Opinion: Cinema Tools vs. Clipfinder for Reconform
by on May 27, 2011 at 2:31:59 pm

i would give clipfinder another try. you might have to try a few different settings, as documentation is not great (although I have not seen the latest paid for version).
with clipfinder you are using an xml workflow which gives more flexibility than edl. you also might want to clean up the FCP sequence first if the editor gave you a sloppy project (imagine that!) - it's much easier to deal with a on or two layer video track in color.
or wait for davinci 8...

http://www.postandbeam.tv
grade and finish @ post + beam
http://www.facebook.com/pages/post-beam/137967176232067

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Nicholas MontgomeryRe: Want Opinion: Cinema Tools vs. Clipfinder for Reconform
by on May 30, 2011 at 5:55:54 am

Thanks, Paul. Will have to purchase Clipfinder soon and give it another go. Cleaned up the project before getting to work, of course, but some issues still linger. Oh well, live and learn.

Cinematographer / Editor
Synn Studios Inc.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy GarchowRe: Want Opinion: Cinema Tools vs. Clipfinder for Reconform
by on May 31, 2011 at 1:18:59 am

What exactly is happening? Clipfinder is pretty solid, and easy.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Nicholas MontgomeryRe: Want Opinion: Cinema Tools vs. Clipfinder for Reconform
by on Jun 1, 2011 at 8:43:16 pm

Upon giving Clipfinder another try, it worked out. The first couple of times I think I was following some outdated instructions that lead me astray.

Cinema Tools was easy enough too, but ultimately better to deal with XML's than EDL's, right?

I'm off to colour!

Cinematographer / Editor
Synn Studios Inc.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]