Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
RED CAMERA:Red Camera ForumRed Camera Tutorials / ArticlesHD TutorialsHD High-End Forum

Visual Effects workflow

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Uli KunkelVisual Effects workflow
by on Mar 19, 2010 at 3:43:03 am

I am working on a small feature film shot on Red and there are several shots that need to be sent off to compositors for visual effects work.

The workflow I have been using is basically the same as the "online" workflow for final cut from the Red whitepaper where you relink to the original R3D in Apple Color via an EDL that you spit out of your timeline in Final Cut. Using a Cinema Tools database, Color links back to the R3D. In Color, the shot shows up and I export a DPX sequence.

Does anyone have a better method? Some post houses like to work with OpenEXR, TIFFs, or other file formats. What are my alternatives?

Thanks.

Uli.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Illya LaneyRe: Visual Effects workflow
by on Mar 19, 2010 at 3:55:28 am

Not sure if I'm hearing you right. Are you color correcting before you send off the clips to the VFX guys? You're not supposed to color correct anything before you send them out. That's just ridiculous.

Motion Design, Color, Editing
Simulated Wood Grain Cabinet Inc.
Bunim-Murray Productions

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Uli KunkelRe: Visual Effects workflow
by on Mar 19, 2010 at 4:08:56 am

No. Not color correcting. Just using Color as a way of linking to the R3D and exporting DPXs as shot. Not doing anything to the original image.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Illya LaneyRe: Visual Effects workflow
by on Mar 19, 2010 at 3:56:26 am

Nuke and After Effects work with R3D's natively now by the way.

Motion Design, Color, Editing
Simulated Wood Grain Cabinet Inc.
Bunim-Murray Productions

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Arnie SchlisselRe: Visual Effects workflow
by on Mar 19, 2010 at 4:29:52 am

It's always best to ask each shop what they prefer. Some shops are quite flexible in what they can accept, others rather limited.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]