Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

On YouTube/Vimeo does 720 60 fps always look better than 720 30 fps?

COW Forums : Media Formats | Media Capacities

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
jim cancilOn YouTube/Vimeo does 720 60 fps always look better than 720 30 fps?
by on Oct 7, 2011 at 5:57:58 pm

I make grips for waterproof (WP) cams that attach to kitesurfing kites, boards, etc.. There are $300 WP cams (GoPro, Contour, etc) and now a new Kodak WP cam for $100. The more expensive will shoot either frame rate, but the new Kodak is limited to 30 fps. I only make hard goods, so do not know much about post video.

I think I understand the basic concept of 30 vs. 60 .. but maybe video on these hosts is like running mountain spring water thru a municipal water treatment plant, or..? I'd appreciate a clarification.

Thanks. Jim wetstuff.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andrew RendellRe: On YouTube/Vimeo does 720 60 fps always look better than 720 30 fps?
by on Oct 8, 2011 at 10:00:29 am

By the time you see it on a site like vimeo or youtube, the difference isn't really noticeable and actually trying to fit a higher frame rate into a limited bandwidth is likely to actually reduce the picture quality in other ways.

OTOH one benefit of shooting at 60fps instead of 30fps is the ability to make much better slow motion clips when you're editing the video, so that's a big plus for the action sports guys.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

jim cancilRe: On YouTube/Vimeo does 720 60 fps always look better than 720 30 fps?
by on Oct 8, 2011 at 6:29:11 pm

Thank you Andrew. That was the conclusion I was slowly coming to... "Better for SLoMo ... as would 100+ fps, etc..." ... when I (and a bunch of sport-types like me) would no more know how to do proper slow motion than split an atom*. Thanks again.

Jim

I guess I could strangle the frame rate in iMovie export preferences when I exported to YouTube.

wetstuff.com
jims-garage.com
planecover.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]