Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

Vegas Pro 12, Nested projects, crash.

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Michael GibrallVegas Pro 12, Nested projects, crash.
by on Jul 14, 2013 at 12:49:15 am

Hi all.

Have Vegas Pro 12. I have 6 nested projects totaling about 30 minutes.

Shot on Canon 5D Mark III and T3i, 1080 24p.

For the moment, I'm rendering mpeg 2 to look at the footage on a DVD.

It crashed about half way through the render.

I have 4 or more audio channels in some cases, but I've muted the ones I don't need (left them in there just in case for future proofing if I go Blu-ray and surround sound if I get distribution deal, but right now I only need stereo for dvd's and blu-rays for film festivals)

Audio envelopes on my stereo tracks that aren't muted.

This will be approximately a 100 minute film when I'm done.

There is some footage that have zooms and/or rotations, but nothing complicated. I have some sound with a telephone effect.

Everything else is straight edits or L edits, dissolves or fades.

System:

Windows 7 64 bit
Intel Quad Processor 2.5 GHZ
8 GB RAM
NVidia GForce GTS 250 with 1GB video memory

I'll probably have 25-30 nested projects to make the film vs. one huge timeline, unless I have no choice but to copy everything over.

I've also read somewhere there is what's called "smart render" where I can render individual projects, drop them in a timeline, and using smart render will 'merge' the files together, lossless.

If this ends up being a requirement, how do I do this, and am I restricted on the format I can do this? (i.e. only mpeg 2, not h264 for bluray, etc.)

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John RofranoRe: Vegas Pro 12, Nested projects, crash.
by on Jul 14, 2013 at 1:10:48 am

Let's start with just debugging the render problem first. Make sure that your RAM Preview under Options | Preferences | Video is set to the default (which is 200). Then disable GPU acceleration (also under the Video tab) by setting it to None.

See if these two things help the render to not crash.

If that doesn't work, are you crashing in the same spot every time? Try rendering the nested project at that spot when open as it's own project to see if that one project is causing the problem.

If that doesn't work, render each project separately to Sony MXF using the HD422 1920x1080-60i 50 Mbps template. That should provide plenty of quality for your final project assemble and will "Smart Render" so there will be no quality loss if re-rendered.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Stephen MannRe: Vegas Pro 12, Nested projects, crash.
by on Jul 14, 2013 at 2:45:47 am

Also make sure that each embedded project will render completely. If one if them has a problem you could get this kind of error.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
http://www.mmdv.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Arthur HotesRe: Vegas Pro 12, Nested projects, crash.
by on Jul 14, 2013 at 7:07:45 am

I'm not trying to sound bossy but can I please have a good answer to the forum post that I made? No one has given my a straight answer, or replied to me once with anything helpful. Just a whole mess of people coming onto the post that I made to try to fix my problem, in return discussing rendering settings they need help with, and other problems that don't relate to my problem in the slightest!

Its just frustrating when you ask the same question on other forums, and no help comes!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 14, 2013 at 2:40:31 pm

"in return discussing rendering settings they need help with"

???

There are only two replies to your post, both are direct responses to your question.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael GibrallRe: Vegas Pro 12, Nested projects, crash.
by on Jul 14, 2013 at 3:56:40 pm

Steve:

The post complaining was not from me, the original poster of this thread. I'm not sure why someone jumped on this thread and complained.

I'm in the process of looking into your suggestion, as well as the suggestion of John, and I thank you both for your time.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael GibrallRe: Vegas Pro 12, Nested projects, crash.
by on Jul 14, 2013 at 4:55:15 pm

Thank you both.

Here's where I'm at now...

Ram Preview setting was at 200.

GPU Acceleration was on. I turned it off.

I rendered the given project where the crash takes place solo. It rendered fine.

I then went to render all 6 nested projects.

At 51%, I saw the screen flash. The software locked up (didn't give me the "your software has crashed" window, it just locked up and I had to force close it.

But it is the same nested project where this is happening at roughly the same area.

Even though I can try rendering to Sony MXF, do I still render 60i 50 when this was all recorded at 1080 24p? Or is this the only way to assemble under smart render.

Finally, when you say smart render, applying all of the Sony MXF clips on the timeline does this automatically, or is this something I have to select before rendering?

Thank you both again.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John RofranoRe: Vegas Pro 12, Nested projects, crash.
by on Jul 14, 2013 at 5:59:22 pm

[Michael Gibrall] "But it is the same nested project where this is happening at roughly the same area."
It must be something about this project. You can try just rendering this project and replacing the nested project with the render and leave the other nested projects alone.
[Michael Gibrall] "Even though I can try rendering to Sony MXF, do I still render 60i 50 when this was all recorded at 1080 24p? Or is this the only way to assemble under smart render."
Sorry didn't see that you were shooting 24p. Just use the HD422 1920x1080-24p 50 Mbps template then.
[Michael Gibrall] "Finally, when you say smart render, applying all of the Sony MXF clips on the timeline does this automatically, or is this something I have to select before rendering?"
This happens automatically. If you re-render Sony MXF to the same format and there are no FX's applied it will simply copy the source to the target. This means you can place several MXF files on the timeline and render to one big MXF file and it will just concatenate the files together with no rendering.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Jul 14, 2013 at 7:21:30 pm

"The software locked up (didn't give me the "your software has crashed" window, it just locked up and I had to force close it."

When a program hangs, it's often because of a failure in the wait chain: some task or thread or process is stuck and is holding up all the program elements waiting behind it.
ResMon can let you analyze the wait chain of a hung program to see what's causing the blockage and to terminate the stalled element. In many cases, your hung program might then recover and operate normally.
Run "ResMon" and click the CPU tab then find the troublesome application in the Processes section's Image column. (An "image" in this case is simply the name of a program or process.)
Right-click the app or process and select Analyze Wait Chain.
When the Analyze Wait Chain dialog opens, you'll see all the processes on which the selected program is waiting for.
If you find a process in the Analyze Wait Chain dialog, select the checkbox next to the wayward process's name and then click the End process button at the bottom of the dialog box.
With luck, the offending process will then restart and your software will recover from its hang!

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]