Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

Vegas 11 Pro 64 bit is crashing like crazy

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Angelo MikeVegas 11 Pro 64 bit is crashing like crazy
by on Jul 9, 2013 at 11:03:22 pm

I can't even finish my work. Every minute or two my project is crashing, either when I do playback or when I try to render to Mainconcept mp4.

I don't have any complex plugins or anything. Just Canon Vixia HF S21 footage and t3i footage at 1920x1080. I want to reinstall Vegas, but I'm worried about losing all my plugins that I'm using for color correction before the project's done. I know I can save those presets too, but I don't even want to risk it since this is for a client and needs to be done tomorrow.

Here's the error message.

I've had Vegas 11 since Oct 2011 and though it was very buggy at first, it largely has ran fine since then. What's going on?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Angelo MikeRe: Vegas 11 Pro 64 bit is crashing like crazy
by on Jul 10, 2013 at 12:07:49 am

I clean reinstalled Vegas, deleting everything in the registry. Still no improvement.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 10, 2013 at 2:56:41 am

I turned off GPU acceleration and am reducing Dynamic RAM Preview to 100. It makes projects not crash for another 30 or 60 seconds, which is letting me get some work done. But this is ridiculous. Playback causes crashes. Rendering causes crashes. It's taken me about five hours to do work that should have taken me twenty minutes.

Edit: Oh, great. It's also causing huge Flash transitions where I didn't put any.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Stephen MannRe: Vegas 11 Pro 64 bit is crashing like crazy
by on Jul 10, 2013 at 3:22:14 am

In virtually every case, an "unmanaged exception" is a driver problem. Finding which driver is causing the problem is a tedious and frustrating process.
Did the system ever work properly? Can you do a system restore to that date?
Have you installed any hardware or software lately?
Is your PC overclocked? Overclocking is generally bad for video editing.
Is your GPU overclocked? (I just recently discovered that some Geforce cards are overclocked from the factory. If you have "OC" in the product name, beware).

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
http://www.mmdv.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 10, 2013 at 3:47:33 am

[Stephen Mann] "In virtually every case, an "unmanaged exception" is a driver problem. Finding which driver is causing the problem is a tedious and frustrating process.
Did the system ever work properly? Can you do a system restore to that date?
Have you installed any hardware or software lately?
Is your PC overclocked? Overclocking is generally bad for video editing.
Is your GPU overclocked? (I just recently discovered that some Geforce cards are overclocked from the factory. If you have "OC" in the product name, beware)."

System worked properly (after the initial few weeks/months of bugs) since 2011. Unfortunately I still don't do regular system restores. Haven't installed any hardware or software, and my CPU isn't overclocked. I have a GeForce GTS 450, which I don't believe is overclocked from the factory. But I still have this problem with GPU acceleration off.

I managed to finish one stage of editing, and now rendering is completely shot. Either it crashes and I get the error report immeditaely, or it just endlessly renders to black at 1%.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 10, 2013 at 4:17:58 am

I turned off GPU acceleration while editing, but didn't while rendering. I just did, and rendering's pretty slow, but it's at least working. I'm on track to render a 6:30 clip for 45 minutes.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve RhodenRe: Vegas 11 Pro 64 bit is crashing like crazy
by on Jul 10, 2013 at 6:05:43 am

Still having issues Angelo!
By the way, i dont remember, Was Vegas 12 giving you
a harder time?

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Film Editor & Compositor.
Filmex Creative Media.
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia
1-876-832-4956

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 10, 2013 at 10:14:59 am

I haven't even upgraded to Vegas 12. I don't know if I should at this point or if I should just get Vegas 13 (while keeping Vegas 11 and 10, of course, while Sony works the bugs out).

This is driving me insane. I should have been done everything early last night. Vegas crashed when I fell asleep and was rendering my 6:30 video, so now I have to try that again. Then I'm going to try to ro edit everything for the DVD and render that, deliver it to my client, and smash my face through a window.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John RofranoRe: Vegas 11 Pro 64 bit is crashing like crazy
by on Jul 10, 2013 at 11:24:31 am

[Angelo Mike] "I haven't even upgraded to Vegas 12. I don't know if I should at this point or if I should just get Vegas 13 (while keeping Vegas 11 and 10, of course, while Sony works the bugs out)."
I have found Vegas Pro 12.0 to be more stable than Vegas Pro 11.0 but I feel your pain. Do you have Microsoft update turned on? Could that have updated your video drivers without you knowing it? Something has changed on your computer to destabilize it. Software doesn't work one day and suddenly not work the next unless something has changed. You might want to restore from a recent backup from when it was working.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Jul 10, 2013 at 11:36:33 am

Yes, I regularly get Microsoft updates. I don't make system restore points, though.

And now I can't even render that longer video without Vegas crashing in seconds. I don't know what I'm going to do. I sent a message to Sony (in addition to several dozen crash reports), but that won't do me any good when they get back to me in a month.

I would try upgrading to 12, but I can't afford it right now, and I need to get this video done today. I could have had it done 10 times over by now if it wasn't for all these crashes.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 10, 2013 at 1:22:47 pm

I copied and pasted the entire project into a new project, and it mostly works fine now. No crashes. Just a few bugs with playback like flickering black occasionally.

Just treat Vegas like it can't be trusted, ever, and it may work. I should be sleeping right now.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 10, 2013 at 3:25:23 pm

"while Sony works the bugs out"

This is why I am extremely reluctant to help anyone to fix their PC. The program works just fine on hundreds of other users' PC's, but it doesn't work in mine, so it must be a bug in the software.

Did you turn off GPU support in "Preferences"?
Look at the Windows Updates - are there any that failed?

I have one workstation with the GT450 video card, and its' overall reliability - not just Vegas - was pathetic. Just a thought.

Did you ever have an ATI video card installed? If yes, then it's drivers could be still around and interfering with your nVidia drivers.

Use the Windows Reliability viewer (start "Reliability") to look at any specific incidents for a clue.

Also, download and install Version 12 in the demo mode. See if that fixes your immediate problem.

Last, you didn't install any Codec Packs, did you?

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

mike callaRe: Vegas 11 Pro 64 bit is crashing like crazy
by on Jul 10, 2013 at 4:23:33 pm

I haven't read the replies but check to see if it's a corrupt file. You can do search to find a few different workflows on how to weed out a bad file.

Secondly and much more importantly, you owe it to your paying clients and to your sanity to have redundancies in place. A second OS/ghost drive that can be plugged in when ever you have a problem is a lifesaver!!

Have a second computer as well, it doesn't have to be behemoth, just enough to get job done if the need arises. (Mine hides in the shadow as a htpc)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 10, 2013 at 4:24:23 pm

[Stephen Mann] "This is why I am extremely reluctant to help anyone to fix their PC. The program works just fine on hundreds of other users' PC's, but it doesn't work in mine, so it must be a bug in the software.

Did you turn off GPU support in "Preferences"?
Look at the Windows Updates - are there any that failed?

Not sure what you mean by failed, but I don't think so.

I have one workstation with the GT450 video card, and its' overall reliability - not just Vegas - was pathetic. Just a thought.

Did you ever have an ATI video card installed? If yes, then it's drivers could be still around and interfering with your nVidia drivers.

I used to, yes. The last time I had that was in Oct of 2011 or so (when I realized that, even though my card was listed as supported by Sony, I couldn't get it to utilize GPU acceleration with it), and Vegas has worked mostly fine in the last two years. I'll see if there are any drivers from it, though.

Use the Windows Reliability viewer (start "Reliability") to look at any specific incidents for a clue.

Also, download and install Version 12 in the demo mode. See if that fixes your immediate problem.

Last, you didn't install any Codec Packs, did you?"

No codec packs.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 10, 2013 at 11:51:33 pm

[Angelo Mike] "Yes, I regularly get Microsoft updates. I don't make system restore points, though."
Do you realize how dangerous that is? You update your computer constantly and randomly without any backups and then you wonder why it stops working like it use to.

I would turn off Microsoft automatic updates and only apply them manually once a month AFTER you have performed a complete backup. Anything less is playing Russian Roulette with your livelihood.

~jr

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Steve RhodenRe: Vegas 11 Pro 64 bit is crashing like crazy
by on Jul 11, 2013 at 7:52:58 am

Angelo, Please turn of that Microsoft Updates.

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Film Editor & Compositor.
Filmex Creative Media.
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia
1-876-832-4956

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 11, 2013 at 10:50:21 am

Gaaaaaaaah.

Edit: Ok.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 12, 2013 at 4:59:58 am

I've never turned off MS Updates, but I don't let them run automatically. I select them a few at a time so that it's easy to back up and troubleshoot the issue. Which rarely happens.

Not updating Windows is a huge mistake. (Note, I can count the number of Vegas crashes over the past several years on one hand, so I must be doing something right.)

Imagine that Microsoft does an update to the.net libraries. Months later you get a driver update that wants to use those new .net features, but you didn't update ,net, so of course the driver crashes.

I strongly recommend using a separate PC for editing. Here's a graphic example of why:

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 13, 2013 at 10:56:54 am

[Stephen Mann] "Not updating Windows is a huge mistake."
Yea, I was certainly not implying that you never update Windows. Like I said, you should allow it to update ONCE a month and only AFTER a full backup so that you can recover from anything Microsoft has broken and I have personally been the impacted by this breakage twice, especially since Vegas Pro makes use of the .Net Framework. Microsoft loves to break that.

~jr

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]