Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

Sony Vegas 12 BSOD/Freezing

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Travis KrauseSony Vegas 12 BSOD/Freezing
by on Mar 28, 2013 at 4:28:26 am

Hello! i am experiencing a BSOD/My PC Freezing whenever i try to render a 6 minute progress video for this game.

I have SVP12

PC SPECS:

Processor:
AMD-A8-3850 With Radeon HD graphics. 3.0ghz.

RAM
Vengeance RAM 8gb

Windows 7 64 bit

please Help me! :(

ive recently reformatted aswell, so that might be of some importance aswell.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Graham BernardRe: Sony Vegas 12 BSOD/Freezing
by on Mar 28, 2013 at 8:26:06 am

Let's get this one out of the way first: Open the PC and check ALL the airways, Inlet and Exhaust vents and Fans are free from dust, hair, fluff and so on.

Rendering is THE most CPU intensive function in what we do. The activity that the PC does during this process is to consume a lot of amps and outputs a lot of heat-wattage. Making sure the PC is able to keep a cool-head is essential. Therefore getting a BSOD while Rendering, is a major indication of an overheating CPU and all mechanical steps need to be taken to rectify. I know,.... I've had it!

Is your PC over-clocked? You may want to change that too.

Cheers

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John RofranoRe: Sony Vegas 12 BSOD/Freezing
by on Mar 28, 2013 at 9:56:06 am

Heat is a very likely cause as Graham said.

Also remember, applications cannot cause a BSOD. A BSOD can only be caused by a system driver or the OS itself. When you get the BSOD it will usually tell you why in the upper left (e.g., PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA) and what failed in the lower left (e.g., USBPORT.SYS - Address blah, blah, blah). That will tell you which drive is causing the problem. Then go update that driver to the latest level to see if you can fix it.

Sometimes there will be no driver information and just something like: STOP 0x00000050 - (0xFD3094C2 ...) You then have to look up the STOP code and see what is causing the system to fail.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 28, 2013 at 10:36:51 am

[John Rofrano] "Heat is a very likely cause as Graham said"
Travis do yourself a favour and get this FREE (or donate too!) CPU-Heat monitor "Core Temp". I have it and I can confirm whatever is happening, vis a vis heat: http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

This way you can determine just how much heat your CPU is struggling with. If you STILL get a BSOD then there's a need to look elsewhere - yes?

Cheers

Grazie

PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Travis KrauseRe: Sony Vegas 12 BSOD/Freezing
by on Mar 28, 2013 at 4:09:42 pm

its not overclocked, and i doubt its overheating.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave OsbunRe: Sony Vegas 12 BSOD/Freezing
by on Mar 28, 2013 at 12:27:43 pm

All the evidence you will need will be in your Windows Event Viewer. Look for the exclamation points at the exact time of the crash.

Dave

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 28, 2013 at 12:36:14 pm

[Dave Osbun] "All the evidence you will need will be in your Windows Event Viewer."
Does that give the Core Temp?

Cheers

Grazie

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave OsbunRe: Sony Vegas 12 BSOD/Freezing
by on Mar 28, 2013 at 1:02:13 pm

No, but it'll show the error messages that are causing his crash. More than likely you are correct and it's temp related (or bad power supply).

Dave

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 28, 2013 at 1:15:28 pm

[Dave Osbun] "No, but it'll show the error messages that are causing his crash."
And will that show anything "heat" related? I'm suggesting the heat thing so that it can be eliminated. Having the heat in the CPU monitored will assist gauging what is going on. Waiting for a BSOD to happen and then getting the error message, as it wont indicate heat, would be telling me that the horse had bolted, which we'd know. I'm not gain-saying your suggestion, what I've invited the OP to do is get a handle on the situ right now.

Cheers

Grazie

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Nigel O'NeillRe: Sony Vegas 12 BSOD/Freezing
by on Mar 29, 2013 at 1:51:56 am

[Dave Osbun] "or bad power supply"

That is also a possibility. Power supplies degrade about 10% in output a year. I recently had to replace mine as I was experiencing freezes (but not BSOD's), and drives in my RAID setup kept on failing randomly.

Unless Travis posts the BSOD message, we can only hypothesize as to what the problem could be, not what it is.

My system specs: Intel i7 970, 12GB RAM, ASUS P6T, Vegas Pro 12 (x64), Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 30, 2013 at 7:54:07 am

[Nigel O'Neill] " we can only hypothesize as to what the problem could be"
Nigel, if you're referring to my magnificent suggestions, there's nothing hypothetical about opening up the side of the PC and taking a look inside. And having the CPU Core Temp being monitored is a free neat pre-emptive action too.

And with 'umble apologies to the very best TV and screen writer, Will Shakespeare . . "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
"

Cheers

Grazie

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John RofranoRe: Sony Vegas 12 BSOD/Freezing
by on Mar 30, 2013 at 11:41:00 am

[Graham Bernard] " there's nothing hypothetical about opening up the side of the PC and taking a look inside."
That assumes that you know what you are looking for. Do you remember when you and I did this on your PC many years ago? You said that all you could see was a felt pad on top of the CPU and I explained that what appeared to be a nicely formatted felt pad between the CPU and fan was actually firmly packed dust that didn't belong there! lol ;-)

~jr

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 30, 2013 at 12:12:33 pm

I have it mentally framed above my edit desk!

Wait, maybe I can dig out that video I did of it? You still have it?

Cheers

Grazie

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Nigel O'NeillRe: Sony Vegas 12 BSOD/Freezing
by on Mar 30, 2013 at 11:02:06 pm

Until I see that BSOD, it is difficult to assist. It could even be video driver related, or a poorly seated memory module.

All wonderful suggestions, but also potentially red herrings.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 31, 2013 at 12:36:30 am

Nigel, I told John about this, he told me what to look for, I cleaned out the fur balls - job done! No more BSOD. Didn't find any fish, of ANY colour - not even red ones!

Cheers

Grazie

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Nigel O'NeillRe: Travis' Sony Vegas 12 BSOD/Freezing - any more information?
by on Mar 31, 2013 at 12:48:25 am

Graham, that may be true in your case, but you appear to have hijacked the thread from poor Travis who was the original poster of this thread. I am hoping that he will provide me more information about his BSOD. Great that you found a dust bunny solution for your BSOD, but Travis still has the issue.

So Travis, can you provide more detail regarding the BSOD?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John RofranoRe: Travis' Sony Vegas 12 BSOD/Freezing - any more information?
by on Mar 31, 2013 at 11:26:26 am

[Nigel O'Neill] "Graham, that may be true in your case, but you appear to have hijacked the thread from poor Travis who was the original poster of this thread."
I don't believe that Graham has hijacked anything as the largest contributor to a perfectly good PC creating a BSOD while rendering is usually heat related and Travis hasn't supplied any useful information so we are all just guessing. Unless he posts a screen shot or other information as I stated in my first post, we're not going to be able to help him further other than more speculation.

~jr

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kristian BagarićRe: Travis' Sony Vegas 12 BSOD/Freezing - any more information?
by on May 13, 2013 at 11:07:44 pm

Hello! I have the same problem as the OP.
I have 10 events in which my computer crashed while rendering different videos in Sony Vegas.
I have a Dell Inspiron 15r laptop - full specs: Dell Inspiron n5520, i7 2.2 ghz ivy bridge, 8gb of ram, ati HD7670m 1gb dedicated graphic card, intel HD 4000 integrated graphic card.

This is one of the messages from the event logger

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 13.5.2013. 23:01:00
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: Kiki-MEGALAPTOP
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:

0x8000000000000002

System
Kiki-MEGALAPTOP

0xfffffa8008039350
0xfffff880030fb910
0x0
0x2
false

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kristian BagarićRe: Travis' Sony Vegas 12 BSOD/Freezing - any more information?
by on May 13, 2013 at 11:12:48 pm

Hello! I have the same problem as the OP.
I have 10 events in which my computer crashed while rendering different videos in Sony Vegas.
I have a Dell Inspiron 15r laptop - full specs: Dell Inspiron n5520, i7 2.2 ghz ivy bridge, 8gb of ram, ati HD7670m 1gb dedicated graphic card, intel HD 4000 integrated graphic card.

This is one of the messages from the event logger

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 13.5.2013. 23:01:00
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: Kiki-MEGALAPTOP
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:

0x8000000000000002

System
Kiki-MEGALAPTOP

0xfffffa8008039350
0xfffff880030fb910
0x0
0x2
false

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>