Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

Best use of trimmer when editing a long clip?

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Phil PeacockBest use of trimmer when editing a long clip?
by on Oct 31, 2012 at 8:29:52 am

Hi all. Looking for some advice here please, on the best way that people have found to use the trimmer.
Situation; my wife borrowed a camera (mine!) and tripod to shoot a couple of days of her yoga workshop. As a result I have some rather long clips, say 5 - 10 minutes on average,and more, each of which contain a couple of poses (asanas for those more knowledgeable of these things LOL). The events of interest last only say 30 seconds. Trouble is there may be several shots of interest in each clip.
I am editing this together to give it some interest, and I am using the trimmer along with the I, O and A buttons.
It seems to me though that I can only input one event onto the timeline at a time before starting the process over again with the same clip.
What I would like; is to simply play the clip from beginning to end in the trimmer, selecting an in and out point, and then A (input to timeline) whilst still running the clip and looking out for the next event and repeating the process, without stopping the play of the clip (as well as utilising the JKL buttons.)
Hope this makes sense.
I can see a very fast way of getting a rough edit together this way but not sure if it can be done like this.
How do others use the trimmer when there are numerous events on the one clip?
Thanks all.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Graham BernardRe: Best use of trimmer when editing a long clip?
by on Oct 31, 2012 at 10:31:01 am

Great question! - I'm a bit of a thug when it comes to the Trimmer.

I start with an Empty Timeline - this clears my mind - it's a Zen thing . . .

However, I place the 2, 5 , 10 or even 45 minute clip in the Trimmer. I now just Drag across the footage I want - that makes a selection - and Either make a Sub Clip from it OR - for most occasions - just Drag that selection directly to the Timeline. This way it keeps my attention and ideas flowing . . Ommmmmmmhhh!

In and Out? Don't bother.

Grazie

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob PetersonRe: Best use of trimmer when editing a long clip?
by on Oct 31, 2012 at 5:14:40 pm

I don't use the trimmer to trim. I simply put the clip on the time line, and work on it there. I simply collapse, or roll, the clip back to my first starting point. Then I snip the clip between my first ending point and my second starting point. I can then roll the ends from the snip point to the first ending point and to the second starting point. If I subsequently want to extend the "sub clips", I can simply roll the ends out as far as necessary. No trimmer is necessary, and I can copy and paste just as I would with trimmer clips.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve RhodenRe: Best use of trimmer when editing a long clip?
by on Oct 31, 2012 at 6:59:37 pm

And so too i thought and edit like that Bob for a long
time, didnt use the trimmer at all, thinking it was not a
necessary feature... BUT oh no, the trimmer is very necessary.
When the huge one hour and above projects with endless clips,
cutaways and different camera angle shots comes in and the
vegas timeline is loaded and choking, Then, one will truly
understand how precious the trimmer is.

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Film Editor & Compositor.
Filmex Creative Media.
1-876-832-4956

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Matt CrowleyRe: Best use of trimmer when editing a long clip?
by on Oct 31, 2012 at 7:24:57 pm

Another option is to place markers on the trimmer using the M key at points of interest (eg before and after a new pose/position) as you play through the clip in the trimmer. Then go back and double-click between pairs of markers to select that segment, and just drag to the timeline. These markers are associated with the media, so if you open that file/media in the trimmer again you'll see all the markers.

I generally scrub through clips in the trimmer to quickly find whatever I'm looking for, then either mark the IN point and keep scrubbing to find the OUT point, or scrub to the start of the desired section and shift+click further along the clip to set the out point. You can adjust the IN and OUT points by dragging the edges of the selection.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Phil SeymourRe: Best use of trimmer when editing a long clip?
by on Oct 31, 2012 at 9:23:57 pm

I tend to go with Bob's approach... dump the clip on the timeline, slice at in and out points of each section you want and delete the unwanted bits. I fully agree with Steve's point too, but its horses for courses and in your case I don't think it would have the complexity of Steve's projects.
If you did have a busy timeline, you could dump the clip at the end and do your surgery there, and pull the selections back into place.
The wonderful thing about Vegas is it is so malleable. I had to give a colleague some help with Premier the other day and walked away shuddering.

Windows 7 Pro64, 16GB RAM, SSD boot drive, GTX 570 Graphics, Vegas Pro 11 and VP10 just in case

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 1, 2012 at 12:56:04 am

lol...lol...lol...lol "walked away shuddering" ...lol...lol
That is priceless.

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Filmex Creative Media.
1-876-832-4956

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Todd BoyleRe: Best use of trimmer when editing a long clip?
by on Nov 1, 2012 at 2:06:00 am

All my videos are an hour or more -- I shoot lectures and other public events.

I just toss the footage on the timeline. First I build an intro screen and slam it up there. Then I drag the starting point of the video track to what I am keeping. I play it at 150% speed and when there's stuff to cut, I select it and hit the delete button. Every few minutes I throw in a title bar with a semi-transparent gray behind it.

This works for me. Ho hum. Routine boring and painless.

Usually you get 40 viewers, sometimes 40,000.

Todd

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Colin MorrisRe: Best use of trimmer when editing a long clip?
by on Nov 1, 2012 at 6:29:06 am

I'll throw in my shuddering 2 cents: I start by putting the clip in the trimmer creating regions all the way through. I can then either select the regions and drop them on the timeline or.... drop the whole clip on the timeline from the project media window-the regions show up and I split and delete from the timeline. I always use the trimmer because it usually looks much better than playing the clip from the timeline/preview window-especially if you use an external monitor.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 1, 2012 at 11:36:49 am

Thats true Colin.
As i mentioned earlier, i usually just drag a clip to the end
of the timeline and cut it there and then drag into the project.
But with a crowded timeline and you dont want to loose track
of where you are on the timeline, dropping the next video
into the trimmer and trim from there then drag to the timeline
is convenient.

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Filmex Creative Media.
1-876-832-4956

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Phil PeacockRe: Best use of trimmer when editing a long clip?
by on Nov 4, 2012 at 2:14:19 am

Thanks for everyone's input here. Various options and ideas. It's just nice to know that, as Steve said, when the timeline is very complicated and cluttered, one can always retreat to the trimmer! I do like the idea of creating 'zones' (? - my word)in the clip in the trimmer and importing all before deleting alternate zones on the timeline. This at least allows for a quick scrub through one's footage. Don't always need to resort to the trimmer but nice to know it's there!
Cheers.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Malcolm MatuskyRe: Best use of trimmer when editing a long clip?
by on Nov 7, 2012 at 9:24:40 pm

Once you master the trimmer, then it's on to the media manager. For large projects it is also invaluable.

Malcolm
http://www.malcolmproductions.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed by author on Jun 16, 2014 at 9:51:57 pm.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]