Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

Tutorial request - Text transition effect

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Sam LiveTutorial request - Text transition effect
by on Oct 2, 2012 at 1:14:14 am

Hello. I am currently using Sony Vegas Pro 10.0e and I am trying to find out how to make a particular text transition/effect for my video. The effect I am going for is basically a piece of text that starts off as a flash that stretches outwards which then reveals the text. You can see what I mean in this video(skip to 2.50 to see the 'Are You Ready?' effect):

I have no idea where to start with this one. I have searched all morning trying to find a tutorial on this effect and I am stumped so any help would be greatly appreciated. Even a name of this type of effect would be incredibly helpful.

Thanks

J

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff SchroederRe: Tutorial request - Text transition effect
by on Oct 2, 2012 at 2:26:06 am

Sam,

Using all native Vegas Pro tools there are three elements here.

The text which is expanding. Can be done with track motion.
The flash-line which is a white solid with a mask that quickly reduces it to a line that has a gausian blur on it.
The text and line do a long fade
And the black background, which is a solid.

It looks much cooler with the sound effects.

I put a .veg file here.
4731_flashtext.veg.zip

Jeff

2-Xeon X5680 @ 3.33, EVGA SR-2 Mobo, 48GB DDR3, GTX 580 3072MB, 16TB Attached Storage, Win7, Vegas 11 x64

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sam LiveRe: Tutorial request - Text transition effect
by on Oct 2, 2012 at 6:16:03 am

Thanks Jeff. I tried loading the .veg file into Vegas but it came up with an error saying that it is for a newer version of Vegas, might you be using a newer version then 10? All good thought the information you game me was fantastic and I will hop straight into Vegas and try it myself.

Cheers

Sam

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 2, 2012 at 7:01:38 am

Hello again Jeff.

So I am in the process of making this effect but can't for the life of me figure out how to create the white solid flash effect as you mentioned. I am unfamiliar with the masking option and was wondering if you could point me in the right direction. Everything else you mentioned I am capable of, it's jsut masking that has stumped me!

Cheers

Sam

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 2, 2012 at 8:25:57 am

Sorry for being a pest, but I have a break through...followed by a halt >_< !

So instead of finding out how to shrink the size of the solid color (which was is white) I found an alternative way using Track media which did the job perfectly. I have uploaded it to my MediaFire account for you to look at:

http://www.mediafire.com/?hpsx3mhje6dshnp

Unfortunately though I can't seem to enable the gaussian blur to the solid color at all... nothing happens? I tried straight up dragging gausian blur from the video fx bar, hitting the event fx option on the solid color itself and tried right-clicking>video event fx on the solid color and none seemed to work. I have a bit of a work around where I can render the text-effect as a video then importing that to my project timeline which it then allowed me to set the gaussian effect but I would rather do it all in the one protect.

So what can I do?

Cheers

Sam

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 2, 2012 at 12:27:52 pm

Sam,

I don't remember enough about Vegas 10 to help you out on this. I use Vegas every day for production, so features, limitations and stuff are all a blur. If you upgraded it would all work.

Good luck,

Jeff

2-Xeon X5680 @ 3.33, EVGA SR-2 Mobo, 48GB DDR3, GTX 580 3072MB, 16TB Attached Storage, Win7, Vegas 11 x64

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 2, 2012 at 12:24:27 pm

Masking is done in the pan/crop window. It is keyframed.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 2, 2012 at 12:22:59 pm

Sam,

Yes I am using 11 (and test driving 12), so you won't be able to open it. Download the trial version of 12 and you will be able to open it.

Jeff

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andrew LenczyckiRe: Tutorial request - Text transition effect
by on Oct 2, 2012 at 3:34:09 pm

Here is a link to a Vegas Pro 10e file called Are you Ready.veg that shows how I recreated the text in the Marine recruitment video.

4739_areyouready.veg.zip

It only uses two tracks. Track 1 is generated media text with a gaussian blur keyframed on it. Track 2 is a generated media gradient (white to black) that has also been keyframed. While this quick effort is not exactly like the video, it's very close and with a little additional tweaking, I think you could get it to your liking.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]