Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

Sony Vegas Studio Platinum 9 no cam showing up!!!

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Dan ShieldsSony Vegas Studio Platinum 9 no cam showing up!!!
by on Sep 21, 2012 at 3:34:16 pm

Hi, I'm new to this thread, and a newbie at video, but really need some help.

I'm a pro musician, looking to do video lessons for the web.

I have a pretty ez set up and need to be able to record 4 tracks into vegas.

1 video from an external cam
2 my guitar
3 my voice
4 an mp3 of the songs I will teach

I'd like them to be locked so I don't have to wiggle things around to get it to work. I don't need much editing other than very basic cuts.

But I'm having serious issues I can't seem to solve.

What I DO have working is-I can put the MP3 into VEGAS. I can record through my soundcard (Focustire Saffire) and get tracks locked-L Ch Guitar, R Ch voice.

But I can't seem to get me video to open my cam (it wants to only use my webcam from my dell) a Panasonic HDC-HS60.

The Panasonic does not show up in the Sony Video Capture 6.0 software under the Video TAB.

Panasonic says it uses normal Windows and Mac drivers and should just show up.

I"ve been at this many hours but can't seem to fix it.

Can ANYONE help??

You're truly
Good guitarist, bad video guy,
Dan

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve RhodenRe: Sony Vegas Studio Platinum 9 no cam showing up!!!
by on Sep 21, 2012 at 6:40:41 pm

What is the specific name/s of that Camera?

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Film Editor & Compositor.
Filmex Creative Media.
1-876-832-4956

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dan ShieldsRe: Sony Vegas Studio Platinum 9 no cam showing up!!!
by on Sep 21, 2012 at 7:59:22 pm

It's the panasonic hdc-hs60.

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/HDC-HS60K

When I ran the compatibility app for windows, it said the drivers were loaded.

The drive for the cam shows up in My Computer. and it is in cam mode, not playback.

when I mount, the computer (dell laptop) autoplays the Panasonic capture software.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John RofranoRe: Sony Vegas Studio Platinum 9 no cam showing up!!!
by on Sep 22, 2012 at 3:05:01 am

[Dan Shields] "The Panasonic does not show up in the Sony Video Capture 6.0 software under the Video TAB."
That capture utility of for capturing SD video.
[Dan Shields] "It's the panasonic hdc-hs60."
That's an HD camera (not SD) so you need to use the HD capture utility.
[Dan Shields] "I have a pretty ez set up and need to be able to record 4 tracks into vegas.

1 video from an external cam
2 my guitar
3 my voice
4 an mp3 of the songs I will teach"
Are you trying to do this live, because you can't. Vegas cannot record live video and multiple tracks of audio at the same time but you can record just multiple tracks of audio without the video.

In fact, it's not really a live video capture program at all. It only captures live audio to the timeline. While you can capture live video, it is always placed in a media bin and you need to manually drag it to the timeline later.

You need to use the video camera as a video camera and let it record. Then later you can transfer your recording to the Vegas timeline for editing. You can record the audio in real-time to the timeline so you would only have to add the video as a second step.

Feel free to ask questions because getting your workflow correct will save you a lot of time later on when editing.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 22, 2012 at 10:24:19 am

Well, John added it all up for you in regards to what i wanted to
follow up in suggesting and asking. You should have no
problem following all the proper procedures.

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Filmex Creative Media.
1-876-832-4956

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 22, 2012 at 11:24:01 am

[Steve Rhoden] "Well, John added it all up for you in regards to what i wanted to follow up in suggesting and asking. "
Sorry to steal your thunder Steve... it looks like I was just up later than you were last night. lol (I believe we're both in the same timezone)

~jr

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 22, 2012 at 11:26:44 am

lol....it seems.

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Filmex Creative Media.
1-876-832-4956

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dan ShieldsRe: Sony Vegas Studio Platinum 9 no cam showing up!!!
by on Sep 22, 2012 at 6:44:00 pm

Thanks both of you guys. Really good to know.

So, just to summarize-and make sure I"m getting it right-
For my set-up with Vegas, I'd can record the 2 audio sources (vocal mic and guitar mic thru Focusrite card) live, but will use the cam for video recording, import after, then line up with audio?

I can do that, but it seems like an extra step. Sure would be nice to be able to capture video live with audio.

Is there another better way to skin this cat (different video program or other method)so I don't have to have the extra step and lining up issues post?

Thank you guys!!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 22, 2012 at 7:18:10 pm

[Dan Shields] "So, just to summarize-and make sure I"m getting it right-
For my set-up with Vegas, I'd can record the 2 audio sources (vocal mic and guitar mic thru Focusrite card) live, but will use the cam for video recording, import after, then line up with audio?"
Yes, that's the workflow.
[Dan Shields] "I can do that, but it seems like an extra step. Sure would be nice to be able to capture video live with audio.

Is there another better way to skin this cat (different video program or other method)so I don't have to have the extra step and lining up issues post?"
No, there is no other way. Your first problem is that your camera doesn't have a live output for recording so you can't record directly from your camera to the PC anyway. That camera can only record to it's own media and then you copy to PC as a second step. That's a camera limitation not a Vegas Pro limitation.

I also don't know of any software that captures live video with multi-track audio from multiple sources even if your camera could. You would need to buy a better camera and a capture card that supported video with multiple audio channels like a Blackmagic Design Decklink Studio card or something.

One thing you could do is record everything to the camera. If that camera has a stereo audio input (which it may not, but if it does), you could record your vocals on the left track and guitar and mp3 on the right. You'd need an audio mixer for the guitar and mp3 but that would give you everything in one stream that you can capture to your PC and not have to sync up.

~jr

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 22, 2012 at 8:46:11 pm

Sorry Dan, No other better way.

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Filmex Creative Media.
1-876-832-4956

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS