Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

Flicker in video when editing/rendering in vegas

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Brian JamesFlicker in video when editing/rendering in vegas
by on Sep 11, 2012 at 8:37:12 pm

Hi all,

I do screen capture video tutorials using BSR screen recorder. I zoom in from time to time in my tutorials, and lately, I'm noticing that when I bring my video into Vegas to edit, I get a flicker in my video when I'm zoomed in. The thing is, this doesn't happen in the original .avi file when it's played back in vlc media player. I can't find anything that makes this happen, I've turned on the switches for reduce interlace flicker and such, changed the interlacing settings for the clip, nothing; it always looks like crap.

This never used to happen, so I feel like it's a codec issue, but I really can't say in what way.

I've attached a link so you can see what it looks like in Vegas. If anyone has thoughts, I'd be appreciative. Thanks.

http://reels.creativecow.net/film/vegas-flicker

http://www.brianl.info

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Matt CarlsonRe: Flicker in video when editing/rendering in vegas
by on Sep 12, 2012 at 8:34:18 pm

This is a bug in Vegas 11 that (now with the announcement of Vegas 12) will not be fixed. Resizing with Pan/Crop or Track Motion can sometimes cause this flicker. Moving an event a few frames either way on the timeline sometimes fixes this but most often it does not. If you are interested in why it happens that is complicated. The short answer is that the Vegas 11 bugs are mostly based on the different aspects of the program suddenly exchanging bad information. It has a lot to do with the mathematical calculations in the different color spaces being given incomplete information. This causes the flicker as well as errant single color frames (from strange i/b frame data ... i.e. your idea of bad codec reading.)

I have had the flickering make it impossible to keep an event they way I wanted a few times. Usually though I can find a suitable plugin chain that somehow side step the mathematical error if I can't change the crop size in any way.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Brian JamesRe: Flicker in video when editing/rendering in vegas
by on Sep 12, 2012 at 10:26:26 pm

Well, the good news is that I seem to have fixed it by re-converting the video to use Xvid as the codec. It's sad, because this crap didn't happen in the video if it wasn't in Vegas.

Anyway, the fix was to install the 64 bit version of the Xvid codec, convert the video usinc AVC converter in an .avi container, then re-import into Vegas.

Hopefully this will stay consistent. Thanks for the thoughts.

http://www.brianl.info

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Matt CarlsonRe: Flicker in video when editing/rendering in vegas
by on Sep 12, 2012 at 11:29:03 pm

The mathematical errors that make these odd things happen "appear" to be fairly random. As you have noticed, though, changing things around can make these errors disappear. In my experience the fixes remain consistent. The errors do not come back on the same event once you get rid of them. You can never predict when they will show up in another event, however.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]