Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

QUESTION: Does your Vegas crash often?

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Evan PetersQUESTION: Does your Vegas crash often?
by on Aug 31, 2012 at 4:03:54 am

I'm running Vegas on a pretty smoking machine. Plenty of Ram, Graphics capabilities, etc.

The only thing that's a little iffy about my rig is I am editing all my footage from an external drive hooked up via Sata6. I find that if I leave Vegas alone for a while while I have a project open, then open the project it will often not respond for a while before it loads it back up. Sometimes it will never load back up and I will have to shut it down manually and restart. Also, I find that sometimes Vegas will just crash out on me and I have to start over from where I saved or it auto saved (which is very often).

I push Vegas to the limit with how fast I edit and how much footage I move around at a time. But sometimes I'll be doing something simple like moving masks on a layer, then clone the layer and remove one set of masks from it. Then BAM, crash.

I don't know. I can live with it since I save often. I was just wondering if you guys experience anything like this too.

Thank you,

Evan

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve RhodenRe: QUESTION: Does your Vegas crash often?
by on Aug 31, 2012 at 6:07:59 am

If you are referring to Vegas 11, then yes, a lot
of users like you are experiencing the same symptoms.

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Film Editor & Compositor.
Filmex Creative Media.
1-876-832-4956

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Evan PetersRe: QUESTION: Does your Vegas crash often?
by on Aug 31, 2012 at 6:08:50 am

Yes I am! Man, I can't believe that. They must be working to fix it. I hope...

Thanks Steve

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

James RedmondRe: QUESTION: Does your Vegas crash often?
by on Sep 4, 2012 at 6:48:01 pm

My Vegas Pro 11 crashes all the time too. Can't figure out why. Updated video graphic cards many time. Still pretty much same thing. Very frustrating. Sometimes it is the simplest thing like open the built in cg program and it will crash.

It is a really a big problem for me. James

James Redmond
Dynamic Videos, Inc.
Rogers, AR USA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Phil PeacockRe: QUESTION: Does your Vegas crash often?
by on Sep 5, 2012 at 3:27:59 am

Maybe this can help you. I was having issues with SVP11 too on a very new and reasonably spec'd Win7 computer.

Tom Pauncz and Mike Kujbida very helpfully posted a possible solution which has seen my set up go from totally frustrating to pretty much rock solid.

Try it and see how you go.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jim GreeneRe: QUESTION: Does your Vegas crash often?
by on Sep 5, 2012 at 12:51:38 pm

Also, for me and others, in "Preferences", changing the setting for "Dynamic RAM Preview max" to "0" seems to reduce crashes dramatically, especially the "undo" crash.

-Jim.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 5, 2012 at 3:54:07 pm

Thanks Jim, I will try that too. James

James Redmond
Dynamic Videos, Inc.
Rogers, AR USA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Sep 5, 2012 at 4:00:29 pm

I'm running Win7 64bit. In my compatibility mode I have the options:
Windows Server 2008
Vista
Vista service pack 1
Vista service pack 2

And that is it. No Win7...

Any suggestions to which one or change the configeration to have more compatibility options?

Thanks, James

James Redmond
Dynamic Videos, Inc.
Rogers, AR USA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve RhodenRe: QUESTION: Does your Vegas crash often?
by on Sep 6, 2012 at 4:23:14 pm

These endless workarounds, Tweaking this and turning that...
Honestly, this needs to stop for so many reasons.
But im still confident the Vegas team will find the path back
to the rock solid and stable road.

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Film Editor & Compositor.
Filmex Creative Media.
1-876-832-4956

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alistair MilesRe: QUESTION: Does your Vegas crash often?
by on Sep 12, 2012 at 8:09:33 am

I carefully set up a new PC and installed Vegas 11 for the first time back in June. Had constant crashes. (Despite having installed the latest Nvidia drivers for my GeForce GTX560 Ti) The crashes stopped overnight completely when I deactivated "GPU acceleration of video processing" under Options - Preferences - Video.

I'm surprised that this temporary fix has not been mentioned in this and other recent threads. I thought it was originaly her on Cow that I read about this workaround. Maybe not.

From what I have read it appears that this gpu acceleration is one of the new features of Vegas 11, to speed up rendering.

I have only worked on 1 project and that was only SD video. Apart from all the usual scene crossfades and titles, and some sound FX and level changes, it was quite a simple production. The rendering went faster than I expected with the GPU acceleration off. I have no idea how it would go with full HD material.

New to Sony Vegas 11
Computer network administrator
Audio engineer
Australian living in Norway

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Evan PetersRe: QUESTION: Does your Vegas crash often?
by on Sep 17, 2012 at 3:13:17 pm

Wow, the properties and set to accommodate Windows 7 feature really helped. I don't think it is crashing nearly much (or at all really, that I can remember).

I think I still have the graphics enhancer feature enabled. But overall it is running pretty smoothly.

Thanks again for all the great advice.

This community really rocks.

Evan

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]