Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

Jittery HDV Capture To Sony Vegas 12. Canon Vixia HV30 Via Firewire.

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
epu epuJittery HDV Capture To Sony Vegas 12. Canon Vixia HV30 Via Firewire.
by on Aug 21, 2012 at 12:44:16 am

I'm new to the forum. I have a Lenovo X220 Laptop w/16GB RAM, i5 2.4 Ghz Processor (Win 7/64). I'm using a SIIG Firewire Card for capture.

When I record DV video via VidCap 6.0, video is fine, audio is fine, video is clear, no jittery/jumpy video.

When I record HDV in Vegas, I get Jittery Video w/Audio out of sync for a few seconds.

I'm doing broadcast/interview work. This computer should be more than adequate to catch HDV.

What am I doing wrong?

Could it be that the video card in my laptop sucks and cannot handle the data stream for HDV?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve RhodenRe: Jittery HDV Capture To Sony Vegas 12. Canon Vixia HV30 Via Firewire.
by on Aug 21, 2012 at 1:28:20 am

Did you say Vegas 12....

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Film Editor & Compositor.
Filmex Creative Media.
1-876-832-4956

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike KujbidaRe: Jittery HDV Capture To Sony Vegas 12. Canon Vixia HV30 Via Firewire.
by on Aug 21, 2012 at 1:30:45 am

Steve, hopefully he means Movie Studio Platinum 12 and not Pro 12 beta which would mean that he just violated the NDA.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

epu epuRe: Jittery HDV Capture To Sony Vegas 12. Canon Vixia HV30 Via Firewire.
by on Aug 21, 2012 at 3:55:23 am

Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 12 Yes.

I figured out that I would need some kind of conversion software to convert the MT2 file to a more manageable file such as MP4 b/c for whatever reason Vegas has a problem handling it.

When I open the captured file in Windows Media Player, it plays back ALMOST perfectly with the audio SLIGHTLY out of sync.

That's unacceptable.

I am recording in DV/SD format instead.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve RhodenRe: Jittery HDV Capture To Sony Vegas 12. Canon Vixia HV30 Via Firewire.
by on Aug 21, 2012 at 5:02:05 am

Thats what i was wondering Mike....

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Filmex Creative Media.
1-876-832-4956

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 21, 2012 at 1:30:47 pm

Hard to be specific for this, as Vegas Pro differs from
Studio versions.

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Filmex Creative Media.
1-876-832-4956

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 21, 2012 at 4:40:57 pm

Where exactly did I say I have Vegas Pro??? I said I have MOVIE STUDIO PLATINUM 12. I already referenced that a couple of times in this thread. I already said I am not going to shoot in HDV, but just stick with DV. Thanks.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike KujbidaRe: Jittery HDV Capture To Sony Vegas 12. Canon Vixia HV30 Via Firewire.
by on Aug 21, 2012 at 5:21:05 pm

Your laptop should be able to handle HDV files without any problems whatsoever.
Are you using a single hard drive?
Do you have enough room on it?
Are you using the Sony capture utility to capture your footage?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Aug 21, 2012 at 5:27:53 pm

This is what I am thinking. My laptop has two SSDs in it, SATA II, both 256GB. I can't make heads or tails of why I'm having this issue. When recording, there is a lag in between what I'm doing and what I'm recording (i.e. I wave my hands, I see the exact same movement on my screen a second or two later).

When it is recorded, when I play it back on a track in Vegas, the audio and video doesn't sync up.

When I play the MT2 file itself in Windows Media Player, all is fine (audio off by maybe 2-3 milliseconds).

I don't know what the problem is.

I have AVG antivirus running, but even with my SSDs, this shouldn't be an issue.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

mark thompsonRe: Jittery HDV Capture To Sony Vegas 12. Canon Vixia HV30 Via Firewire.
by on Aug 22, 2012 at 8:36:50 pm

I had a problem just like this; clips looked horrible when previewed and played on the timeline. However when I rendered out to high quality format it looked great! Try rendering some of it to see if you have a capture or a preview problem.
m

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave HaynieRe: Jittery HDV Capture To Sony Vegas 12. Canon Vixia HV30 Via Firewire.
by on Aug 23, 2012 at 6:44:50 am

Most of the problems with DV or HDV capture are based on latency, not throughput. Given that you have DV25 captures that are flawless, your PC is certainly capable of capturing HDV (same bitrate) just as well.

So it's probably the capture program. I assume you've been using Vegas Studio. I was never happy with Vegas Pro's built-in capture. So, back in the HDV days (some years ago), I used a program called HDVSplit for capture. See here: http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/hdvsplit.htm

The other issue could be your OS... there are sometimes conflicts on 64-bit systems with 32-bit drivers, or software not tuned to properly use a 64-bit driver. Or lazy driver or CODEC ports (though the latter probably not an issue in this case). Anyway, worth a try.

-Dave

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]