Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

VBR vs CBR for maximum playback reliability

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Nigel O'NeillVBR vs CBR for maximum playback reliability
by on Aug 3, 2012 at 7:15:59 am

I have to deliver a touch over 5 hours of video across two DL +R DVD's. I can use 2 pass VBR and get slightly higher quality video, or CBR at 6960 kbps (according to Mark's bit rate calculator).

Both methods result in 71% quality. I believe that a CBR of 6960 kbps is pretty reasonable quality-wise. If I want to ensure maximum playback compatibility with DVD commercial players, would using CBR actually help?

Unfortunately I am limited to using Shintaro +R DVD9 discs as they are the only ones I can find that are ink jet printable in Brisbane, Australia.

My system specs: Intel i7 970, 12GB RAM, ASUS P6T, Vegas Pro 10e (x32/x64), Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Stephen MannRe: VBR vs CBR for maximum playback reliability
by on Aug 3, 2012 at 10:56:27 pm

I have never had good results with double-layer DVD's. Sometimes they play, sometimes they don't. It's just the risk of burned DL disks.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
http://www.mmdv.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mikhail PetrushinRe: VBR vs CBR for maximum playback reliability
by on Aug 5, 2012 at 2:42:46 am

6960 kbps is a bit low bitrate in my opinion (DVD standard allows use 9800 so any commercial player must handle bitrate up to 9800).

So I'd rather choose VBR settings with Average Birtrate 6960 kbps and Maximum birtate 9800. In this case the video quality on dynamic scenes will be better.

Off: Where do you live Nigel? I'm in Ferny Grove (Brisbane North West)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John RofranoRe: VBR vs CBR for maximum playback reliability
by on Aug 5, 2012 at 12:53:21 pm

[Mikhail Petrushin] "So I'd rather choose VBR settings with Average Birtrate 6960 kbps and Maximum birtate 9800. In this case the video quality on dynamic scenes will be better."
+1

Definitely use VBR. The only time you should use CBR is when your entire video will fit on the disc at 8000Mbps. Anything less and VBR will always give you better results. VBR Two Pass will be even better.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Nigel O'NeillRe: VBR vs CBR for maximum playback reliability
by on Aug 7, 2012 at 9:24:41 am

Runcorn on the South side

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave HaynieRe: VBR vs CBR for maximum playback reliability
by on Aug 11, 2012 at 4:17:05 pm

9800Kb/s also assumes there's no audio... most of the time, you want audio. Your 9.8Mb/s is both audio and video, so the first thing you do is to back off from the peak based on whatever audio you're using.

Yes, any commercial player will handle full 9.8Mb/s. But if that player has trouble reading your disc (the player's fault, not yours), there's no margin for retries at full bitrate (well, in theory -- in practice, things like PS3s and BD players read DVDs at 2x, so they don't have an issue). This is why many folks limit video to 8Mb/s.

On anything but talking heads, VBR is the right decision. Yeah, as John says, if you can fit the whole thing at 8Mb/s CBR, you won't see VBR as a noticeable improvement. But it also doesn't hurt anything but your time.

DVDR-DL/+DL are a problem for many players. It's really the technology.. like DVD-R/+R and DVD-RW/+RW before it, these aren't perfect copies of a glass mastered dual layer disc. The reflectance of the second DVD layer on a glass mastered disc is supposed to be at least 25% (in fact, there was a bug in the early Philips DVD reference code that flagged such a low reflectance disc as dual-layer... unfortunate because DVD-RW is usually around 25%; that's the only reason many early players didn't handle the RW discs). It's about 15-20%, either layer, on a DVDR-DL.

And these came out late. Naturally, the DVD drive you use to burn the discs read them. Some older players have very good AGC circuits that compensate for reflectance in the name of compensating for aging lasers (the main reason for AGC circuits in DVD laser systems). Others simply can't read these discs -- they don't really meet the original DVD specs.

-Dave

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Nigel O'NeillRe: VBR vs CBR for maximum playback reliability
by on Aug 12, 2012 at 3:06:58 am

Thanks Dave

I will use VBR 2 pass. So far, the discs are being recognised and play on all my home DVD players (Sony, LG, AWA, Teac).

My customers (consumers) in Australia tend to have the el cheapo China made DVD players that seem to play everything.

What sort of issues crop up with DL discs as mine seem to play back fine?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jim PrisbyRe: VBR vs CBR for maximum playback reliability
by on Aug 6, 2012 at 4:24:48 pm

Verbatim makes DL disks with printable sufaces, order online.

Intel 2.67GHz Core2 Quad CPU.
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GForce GTX 570 superclocked
Windows 7 64bit

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]